Part Time 4WD Conversion Owners (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOY350

#1 Super Guy
SILVER Star
Threads
I am contemplating going with this conversion and would like input from those of you who have done it.

Any noticeable adverse effects in handling now, such as loss of traction or control on gravel roads or snow covered roads while in high 2WD?

Any mileage increase due to not turning the front half of the drivetrain?

Does the front driveshaft remain stationary like a real part time 4WD?

Any noise in the transfer case now that the VC has been removed (just curious, noise won't bother me)?

Was the conversion straightforward and relatively simple with the instructions?

Any other input would be much appreciated.

Garett
TOY350

I recently bought a 94 with the part time system. It is an overseas TC with lockable hubs. I liked the idea of the PT system because it was like my 62 and for the bulk of the year even in the northeast the roads are just fine for 2wd. I’m not a hard core wheeler, so I can't really comment on the benefits there. There have been times which I wish the full time was an option, but it is the season for that. As a result of inheriting the system, I can’t tell you the difference in fuel economy, but I seem to average 13-14 mpg overall with hubs locked on occasion. There is a slight whine with the diff locked at moderate speeds. ABS also is disengaged when the diff is locked for 4wd. The biggest benefit is the lack of wear and tear on the front end. I hope to see better mpg gains in the spring and summer when the hubs are unlocked at all times. I hope this helped.

Thanks PCL-22 every bit helps, but I am still looking for answers from the people who have done the conversion. As with anything there has to be pros and cons.

I've contemplated the PT4WD conversion as well, but made my decision to stick with the current Full Time system.

Why?

Because I have a great advantage over Part Time pickups/SUVs in snow, which we get a lot of here in UT.
When in "true" 4WD (CDL engaged, AKA Part Time 4WD), the truck likes to go straight while turning, instead of actually turning. (see Jon's post on why; below)

There are some that will probably argue this, but I know from firsthand experience that driving in snow with the CDL engaged will not fare very well.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:
When you lock the center diff the driveshafts can no longer turn at different speeds, which is what happens when the vehicle is turning.

FWIW I would never willingly loose the ability to push a button and turn a knob to lock or unlock all 3 diffs at will. It has saved my bacon too many times.

When you lock the center diff the driveshafts can no longer turn at different speeds, which is what happens when the vehicle is turning.

Right, right... Thanks, Jon :eek:

FWIW I would never willingly loose the ability to push a button and turn a knob to lock or unlock all 3 diffs at will. It has saved my bacon too many times.

x1,000,000

I did the conversion a year ago with the kit from Slee.

I am very happy I did for a few reasons.

+1-2 MPG all around. Larger increase on highway. Probably the only mod that can legitimatly pay for itself.

Much smoother. I have about 5" of lift. The only way to get front driveline vibe gone without an expensive CV shaft is to cut n turn the front axle and I don't have time for that.

I can run different size tires if necessary.

I tow with my 80 regularly, and the power difference between AWD and RWD is noticable.

I would definatly do it again. The only inconvenience is having to lock hubs for 4wd. Not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

I did mine a couple of years ago with the Marks Kit.

There was some noticable loss in cornering ability but you get use to it. You just have to go into the corners a bit slower.

Drive line clunk is gone it is now way more smoother.

More power when towing the cravan. Now fitted extractors and 2 1/2 inch sports system even better

More fun in the mud

Gives you 2wd low range even with the hubs locked. Great for reverseing the van up the steep driveway at home.

And yes the front part of the drive train remain stationary when
4wd and the hubs are not engaged

Thanks guys. So as I was figuring there are pros and cons. The only con being traction control in high range on loose surfaces, which is obviously something to consider. I don't do too much high range driving on snowy roads, usually just crawling and occasionally chaining up. The few times I switched the CDL from on to off and back I never noticed anything.

If I decide on making the switch I will definitely post up my outcome.

Literally the ONLY situation you are limited in is wet pavement.

If you're expecting snow/slush etc, just lock the hubs ahead of time and lock/unlock the CDL if things get slippery.

The directions say you need a press in order to install the kit. I figured out a way around this with a bar of 1/2" steel and an angle grinder. Let me know if you need me to explain.

I want to do this conversion really bad. I love the idea of not haveing any wear and tear on the front end during 90% of the vehicles use, it's not a DD.

Literally the ONLY situation you are limited in is wet pavement.

If you're expecting snow/slush etc, just lock the hubs ahead of time and lock/unlock the CDL if things get slippery.

ya', I'm gonna listen to someone from Georgia on how to drive in snow ;)

...The directions say you need a press in order to install the kit. I figured out a way around this with a bar of 1/2" steel and an angle grinder. Let me know if you need me to explain.

Any chance you have directions in a pdf format? I went to Slee's site but couldn't find a link to directions. I would like to read them over as well.

One more thing that I love of the PT t-cases it's you don't need to worry again for your visco coupler .. :D

I didn't see anyone mention that you also loose your ABS.

Later models ABS signal is changed with CDL locked, it only goes all together in LR, here, we didnt get many ABS 80's here though, so not 100% sure on what you guys get.

So we would only loose the ABS when the center diff is locked just like we do now. Removing the VC doesn't effect the ABS system in 2WD then?

Wouldn't you loose ABS with the free wheeling hubs disengaged as your front axels are not turning so there would be no signal from the sensors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom