Pappy's Baja Adventure, March 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Traveling in Mexico is stressful. Lots of military check points "manned" by kids with automatic rifles. They will search your car on a whim ... or just wave you through. Few speak English, so you don't know what kind of trouble you are in.

Then there are the banditos that pretend to be cops, pull you over, leave you in a ditch, and take everything.

The roads down there are also very sketchy. The paved road from San Felipe south is a mess of pot holes. The pavement continues to Gonzaga Bay where it turns to Mexico's version of a dirt road. I travel this road at 15-20mph, and those pulling trailers, or the semi-trucks that dare out there, are even slower. Then Mexico Hwy 1 is fun. Very narrow, NO SHOULDER, STEEP DROPS on the sides (<- this is no BS). Why they do that is beyond me. Mex 5 used to be the same way, but it now has a shoulder before plunging into doom.

Fishing. I think the fishing in summer and fall is better than spring. Yes, I catch fish in spring (I did this trip). But during our October trips it's a fish just about every case. I only cast from shore. If you use a boat you will need a Mexican fishing license even if using a guide. I think the last time I bought one it was $25 bucks ... out of San Diego via mail before I left.

You also need Mexican car insurance. Your US policy is toilet paper down there.

Don't forget your Passport. Going south you are legally supposed to have a Mexican Tourist Card, but nobody checks. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I pay mostly in Pesos. Dollars work in many places, especially near the border.

Also, remember what Ed Abbey said ... "Everything in the desert either stabs, stings, sticks, or stinks."

Last edited:
home

try that one..
projects then provision revision..

So epic! Thanks for documenting and sharing
And happy 60th, old guy :clap::flipoff2:

Wow, thanks for sharing again pappy. That is some hardcore overland, well done, I'm not sure I could relax enough to enjoy it. kudos to you... solo...

Is this the pass that you think my 16' might struggle width wise?
There are several places where a trailer won't work. Going up and down Matomi Canyon is one. That is where that video was taken. If you Google Matomi Canyon, or Matomi narrows you should find plenty of video since it's been part of the race route in the past.

A second spot involves a short climb onto a knife ridge, then a sharp right down a steep, loose slope. Getting out requires blasting up that slope and just as you hit the top turning left onto the knife ridge.

The third spot just has some general ugliness to it, including several washouts, and a bypass that drops down into a gully, then up through a mesquite and a sharp right turn.

Of course, there is always the road to Mission Santa Maria. Pay attention around 2:00 into the video.

Here is another Mission Santa Maria video.

Another cool Baja video. Not my way, but still cool.

These kinds of videos are exposing Baja, dang it! Double edge sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom