Pappy's Baja Adventure, March 2017 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Another Baja Adventure in the books. This year, I turned 60 on a remote Baja beach. Nobody around. Nobody, for three days. Bliss.

I crossed on March 10th, and made a bee line for the Bahia de los Angeles area. I camped at a bay north of BOLA for three nights. I had the whole place to myself, and only saw one boat. Trail to this paradise was mostly sandy, and meandering through the trees. It was 30 miles in from the pavement, but took me about 2 hours. I made camp at dusk in a spot that looked dry.

It was a full moon, and the night-time tides were crazy high. At 2:30am I heard water outside my tent. When I got up to check it out I found my tent and truck were on an island. By morning the tide had gone down, and I was able to drive to the next bay only a few miles to the southeast.

From there I went south though BOLA, where I had lunch and a quick visit to the museum. From here it's all dirt roads.

Next stop was a spot Mike and I have camped several time. The fishing is usually exceptional, but this trip I only caught one grouper.

Next morning I continued to my ultimate destination on Bahia San Rafael. For the most part the roads are in good shape (all relative to Baja, of course), except for the last five miles or so to my beach ... which is a mess. Easy an hour to hit the beach, and I'm there 4 nights. The first three days were great. On the last full day I had several fishing boats come in. Two went to the west and camped. In the morning I had two boats directly off my camp diving for scallops. That's enough for me. I leave in the morning.

From there I head north, have lunch in BOLA, blast up past Coco's Corner, and head for a beach south of the fishing village of Calamajue. This is a favorite beach, for several reasons. It's remote, but really only 9 miles from the "main" road. It usually has great fishing. And the trail only has one "hard" part. Mostly I do this trail in 2WD low. I get to the beach, and scallop divers have taken up camp, so I turn around. A perfect camp is made in the desert. I was going to spend two nights at this bay.

From here, further north where I cut inland to the Sierra San Pedro Martir. I take the long way in. The traditional route has been blown out the last few years, and I didn't want to get to the narrows and have to turn back. So, another long day, and I arrive at the blue palm canyon ... only to find that somebody has taken up residence at the cabin. Crap. Well, so much for spending a few nights here. I leave in the morning.

From here I go directly down the canyon. I did it last year, but things change. It wasn't very hard, but still slow. I will link to two videos of the narrows. Before long I'm in San Felipe for lunch. I camp at Pete's Camp ($15), let them make me lunch and dinner, and get a well deserved shower ($2). The camp only had a few campers, and was very quiet.

Last edited:
First part of the decent through the Matomi Canyon narrows.

Last edited:
Second part of Matomi Canyon narrows.

Last edited:
Another Baja Adventure in the books. This year, I turned 60 on a remote Baja beach. Nobody around. Nobody, for three days. Bliss.

I crossed on March 10th, and made a bee line for the Bahia de los Angeles area. I camped at a bay north of BOLA for three nights. I had the whole place to myself, and only saw one boat. Trail to this paradise was mostly sandy, and meandering through the trees. It was 30 miles in from the pavement, but took me about 2 hours. I made camp at dusk in a spot that looked dry.

It was a full moon, and the night-time tides were crazy high. At 2:30am I heard water outside my tent. When I got up to check it out I found my tent and truck were on an island. By morning the tide had gone down, and I was able to drive to the next bay only a few miles to the southeast. At was at this bay for two nights.

From there I went south though BOLA, where I had lunch and a quick visit to the museum. From here it's all dirt roads.

Next stop was a spot Mike and I have camped several time. The fishing is usually exceptional, but this trip I only caught one grouper.

Next morning I continued to my ultimate destination on Bahia San Rafael. For the most part the roads are in good shape (all relative to Baja, of course), except for the last five miles or so to my beach ... which is a mess. Easy an hour to hit the beach, and I'm there 4 nights. The first three days were great. On the last full day I had several fishing boats come in. Two went to the west and camped. In the morning I had two boats directly off my camp diving for scallops. That's enough for me. I leave in the morning.

From there I head north, have lunch in BOLA, blast up past Coco's Corner, and head for a beach south of the fishing village of Calamajue. This is a favorite beach, for several reasons. It's remote, but really only 9 miles from the "main" road. It usually has great fishing. And the trail only has one "hard" part. Mostly I do this trail in 2WD low. I get to the beach, and scallop divers have taken up camp, so I turn around. A perfect camp in made in the desert. I was going to spend two nights at this bay.

From here, further north where I cut inland to the Sierra San Pedro Martir. I take the long way in. The traditional route has been blown out the last few years, and I didn't want to get to the narrows and have to turn back. So, another long day, and I arrive at the blue palm canyon ... only to find that somebody has taken up residence at the cabin. Crap. Well, so much for spending a few nights here. I leave in the morning.

From here I go directly down the canyon. I did it last year, but things change. It wasn't very hard, but still slow. I will link to two videos of the narrows. Before long I'm in San Felipe for lunch. I camp at Pete's Camp ($15), let them make me lunch and dinner, and get a well deserve shower ($2). The camp only had a few campers, and was very quiet.

MORE......

A few pictures.

Last edited:
Is Matimo Canyon narrows off Matimo wash where you will find miles of giant woops normally part of the San Felipe 250 SCORE race?

Yep. As you come in from the north it's all woops. And going east out of the canyon in the wash to Mex 5 is all woops.

In this pic you can see the wet sand around the truck and tent ... and how far away the bay is at low tide.

20170311_082046_sm.jpg

Another camp.

20170315_125653_sm.jpg

OK, I'm a plant fella, and this was the year. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, and Joshua Tree National Park are having exceptional wildflower displays. So was Baja.

Last edited:
Totally Awesome. Thanks for posting the videos, that's a neat perspective being above the cab/drivers eyeline.

Totally Awesome. Thanks for posting the videos, that's a neat perspective being above the cab/drivers eyeline.

You're welcome. I have another video uploading now that not only shows a "typical" Baja road, but typical Baja scenery. In this case, the road was +/-90 miles long!

Last edited:
OK, another video. This was taken along a road coming north from Bahia San Rafael toward Poncho's place.

I can only hope to see my 60th birthday in a similar setting. Thanks for the update.

Looks like yet another fantastic trip. I'm a little envious.

Excellent!!!

Pano of Bahia San Rafael.
20170314_182308_sm.jpg

Pano at E. Alcatraz.
20170312_140205_sm.jpg

Wow! Nice!
What is it like traveling in Mexico? Fishing? Great vids and pics!
Here is a link to one of my Grads, she built her own seaworthy rowboat (and pinhole cameras) and had a solo expedition in the Sea of Cortez.

provision::revision

Indeed a badass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom