P0770 Code--WTF?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I finally bit the bullet and brought the rig in to my mechanic to work out the elusive P0401 code. Today I beat the expired brake tag ticket in court.

Well later today the mechanic calls me and tells me got the P0401 cleared.:cheers: I'm thinking it is a good day and I'll soon be using the cruiser to hitch up my boat for the weekend's fishing trip before the oil spill hits.

Then he tells me that a P0770 has appeared. P0770 Shift Solenoid E Malfunction. Sounds expensive and beyond my mechanical ability. I searched to no avail. Please inform me 80 gurus so I can talk intelligently with my mechanic. Thanks in advance.

bump. anything guys?

Then he tells me that a P0770 has appeared. P0770 Shift Solenoid E Malfunction. Sounds expensive and beyond my mechanical ability. I searched to no avail. Please inform me 80 gurus so I can talk intelligently with my mechanic. Thanks in advance.

I've scoured my FSM, and cannot find any references to a P0770, or anything related to a shift solenoid malfunction.

Searching for P0770 on 'MUD turns up 3 results:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...-transmission-advise-have-valve-body-out.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/325911-transmission-advice-diy-p0770-repair.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/186110-taco-auto-tranny.html

Two threads on 100 series, and one on a newer (2000) Taco.

Is this for the '97 in your sig? If so, I would suspect that your mechanic has the wrong code. That does not appear to be a code that applies to this model of LC's.

Is this for the '97 in your sig? If so, I would suspect that your mechanic has the wrong code. That does not appear to be a code that applies to this model of LC's.

Yes it is for the '97. Mechanic's code reader and mine pulled the same code. Transmission guy is researching the issue. He says there are three different transmissions that could have gone in my vehicle. This does not sound right.

I'm not sure where he would go to research other than than Mud...

I towed my boat (3000 lbs) about 300 miles over the weekend. Never noticed anything different. The MIL remains on. The question now becomes whether I can pass inspection with this code.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks.

Google search would imply Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid, but I'm no mechanic.
Chris

Yes it is for the '97. Mechanic's code reader and mine pulled the same code. Transmission guy is researching the issue. He says there are three different transmissions that could have gone in my vehicle. This does not sound right.

Maybe if it's an out-of-the-US vehicle....

You need to take it to someone who knows LC's inside and out. I would not be confidant in the mechanic if he's telling you obviously incorrect information.

I'm not sure where he would go to research other than than Mud...

I did some digging around and can't find much on that code at all.

I towed my boat (3000 lbs) about 300 miles over the weekend. Never noticed anything different. The MIL remains on. The question now becomes whether I can pass inspection with this code.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks.

In Oregon they cannot charge you if you fail, not sure about your state. Might be worth going through and seeing if they pass you or not, but most places won't pass you with an active check engine light.

Took a look at this site: Lockup solenoid

It suggests a test which I tried on the way home for lunch: "
[SIZE=+1]How can I tell if my lockup isn't working? Do you occasionally feel what feels like a fourth gear? Then it's working. If you want to test it, take the car up to about 55 on a level road, and press lightly on the brake pedal. It should disengage the lockup, and with a steady foot on the gas, you should see the tachometer move up by about 250 RPM just as the brake lights go on. Another hint is that when coasting down from speed, it should disengage at 45mph - it feels like the car is speeding up on coast down, because when it disengages, the car starts freewheeling."

i tried this on the way home for lunch and the MIL is off. I guess the solenoid is working intermittently.

[/SIZE]

Right, you should have an A343F Transmission. I'm currently working on a P0773, TCC Solenoid not applying. Mitchell says the P0770 TCC lockup does not occur at the proper speed or lockup does not release at appropriate speed. Possible causes listed as TCC Solenoid either stuck open or closed, Valve body stuck or clogged, or TCC malfunction.

First diag point is to remove and verify the opperation of the TCC solenoid. If you remove the pan, this is the forward most solenoid, with the yellow wire. Unplug the wire, remove the 10m bolt and remove the solenoid. Ground the solenoid, then apply 12v+ to the terminal. For the P0773 code they mention applying 71psi to the inlet, it should exhaust with no batter voltage and hold pressure with battery applied.

hth

Hey Spillman
I now have that code showing also. Did you or anyone else here ever resolve it?
THANKS!

Hey Spillman
I now have that code showing also. Did you or anyone else here ever resolve it?
THANKS!

Very rare code it seems.

From the FSM:

Trouble Area
*Shift solenoid valve SL is stuck open or closed
*Valve body is blocked up or stuck
*Lock−up clutch

FSM pages below.
.0770JPG.jpg
0770.2.jpg

Good info Ebag....I'm going to research that. Thanks!!

If the transmission is shifting normally could this code be the result of a problem in a connector or the wiring?? IDK

I am still having the code thrown. All shifting is still normal feeling. I just reset the code and enjoy no MIL light for a week or two. One day when i have extra cash I guess I'll address it....

I have normal shifting also.....However, I did just replace the starter and the forward O2 sensor.

I am present getting a blinking Overdrive light to go along with this mystery......

Pulled out the SL solenoid and blew compressed air thru it per the manual as Ebag suggested. It checked out ok per that test. Reassembled everything thinking that the next step was to somehow test the valve body. However, it has been 1 week and no CEL returning so far............:)

Hey guys, sorry to bump this oldy but I've been trying to find an answer looking thru Google but haven't found anything concrete.
I have been getting those same codes (p0401 p0770) on my '98 Camry 2.2L
Please let me know if you figured out the issue. Thanks a lot!!!!!
Brian

Bumping this. I got this code the other day in my 97 LC. I was shocked. I'm wondering if a good transmission flush and fill might help as I don't know when the previous owner did it last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom