P0335…to a bent valve (update...and it's not good) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks man! I have older Toyota and Honda engines in my fleet with more miles.
Not that it makes you feel any better but it’s probably statistically insignificant. There have been 3UR valve spring failures but the number is small relative to the total number of engines. For every valve spring breaking or head gasket failure there’s the guy who has 520k on his motor and sold the clean running truck on BaT for $17k. Ok maybe it’s not 1:1, but by and large the 3UR will typically go a long time.

I think a lot of us on the forum share the same feeling about the 3UR. It’s a strong and normally reliable engine but noisy chain tensioners, leaky valley plates, leaky timing chain covers, cam tower leaks. and rare valve spring and head gasket failures are all disappointing and concerning for those of us trying to get hundreds of thousands of miles out of our rigs.

We have had a 14 come in with a broken spring. Same exact symptoms as described in first post. Though we didn't try to restart and used a breaker bar to attempt to see if motor was free. It was in only one direction. Pulled plugs and one cylinder was hammered. Borescope showed carnage in that cylinder. Piston cracked, head had half a valve in it. Cylinder wall was toast. Removing valve cover confirmed valve spring was broken. New used motor went in.

We have had a 14 come in with a broken spring. Same exact symptoms as described in first post. Though we didn't try to restart and used a breaker bar to attempt to see if motor was free. It was in only one direction. Pulled plugs and one cylinder was hammered. Borescope showed carnage in that cylinder. Piston cracked, head had half a valve in it. Cylinder wall was toast. Removing valve cover confirmed valve spring was broken. New used motor went in.
What was the mileage on the broken spring?

I think a lot of us on the forum share the same feeling about the 3UR. It’s a strong and normally reliable engine but noisy chain tensioners, leaky valley plates, leaky timing chain covers, cam tower leaks. and rare valve spring and head gasket failures are all disappointing and concerning for those of us trying to get hundreds of thousands of miles out of our rigs.

Reported comment for FUD.
You forgot exhaust manifold leaks and many more 🫡

Unfortunately, nothing new to report. Teton Toyota was supposed to drop the oil pan Tuesday. Then Wednesday. Then Thursday. Then today...but no progress. I asked if they've even inspected the oil filter. Nothing. Basically all they've done is a quick borescope and determined I've got a bent valve. Nothing else conclusive from the borescope. I can't make decisions based on this.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to tell them to stand down. I'm trying to arrange transport to get her up to Overland Cruisers in Bozeman. They're around three hours north of me. I'm in Idaho Falls. Anyway, I was hoping to have more information by now. A bit frustrated but she'll be in good hands once I get her up to Bozeman.

I'm really hoping b/c it's just a bent valve and not a broken valve...piston is ok. Even if the top of the piston is knicked up, probably not the end of the world...I'm hoping. When this happened it was basically idling and not under load. I'm just hoping the bottom end is ok. If not, I'm leaning Tundra motor, swap over whatever needs to be swapped over and hopefully all is well.

A new long block from Toyota...$36k. Full rebuild isn't really feasible due to all of the labor. This is why I'm leaning Tundra motor, with hopefully lower miles than my engine. Anyway, more to come eventually...

Wtf and also put anything else in it at that point if that’s possible. 3URFE is overhyped anyway… $36k you can electrify the cruiser for that probably lol

Going to a different shop sounds like the way to go, the dealer you’re at now doesn’t seem motivated to tear into this project and I can’t say I blame them.

Sucks all around.

Arranging to get her transported up to Overland Cruisers in Bozeman.

Teton Toyota did cut the filter open. It was clean. This makes me happy. I’m heading up there this afternoon to see it for myself.

Guy

So it wasn’t split open. But I took it home so I could take a closer look at it. The master tech said it looks normal. He wasn’t alarmed. This looks like a normal filter to me. There is no metal debris or anything indicative of metal debris. My magnets didn’t pick up anything when I ran them through/over/in the pleats. No glitter using direct light. Curious what y’all think.

IMG_3804.jpeg

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

I picked out some of that gunk and nothing was metallic. The lighter colored specs were soft and more like pieces of filament. Not metal.

IMG_3803.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg

Doesn't look like metal. Usually when they go they go quick. There really isn't a chance for the carnage to get into the oil. If it's just a bent valve consider yourself lucky. What we saw was when the spring broke it dropped the valve down in the cylinder. That then broke in a few pieces hitting more valves and breaking them. Then the motor stopped.

There is still a small chance that rod bearing isn’t happy but it isn’t worth dropping the upper pan and pulling the piston to find out for sure. After all this happened at low engine output.

I’d say the filter state is great news..

She’s on her way to Bozeman. Overland Cruisers is expecting her later this morning. She’ll be in good hands. Crazy…seeing her pull away on the flatbed I was freaking emotional. I know it’s just a vehicle. But it’s not.

IMG_3812.jpeg

Even the bird in the sky doesn’t know what to make of a Landcruiser on a flatbed wrecker

I know it’s just a vehicle. But it’s not.

View attachment 3592419
sure, it’s got 4 wheels and an engine which makes it a car but it’s also a representation of all the memories it’s made possible for you and whoever has gone anywhere in it.

We got ours a 3 years ago and it was originally known as “daddy’s car”. That was until our first major multi week camping trip a few months later… my kids started to correct me when I would say “let’s hike back to daddy’s car”, and began to refer to it as “the Land Cruiser” on that trip. 3 years later my wife jokingly refers to as the 3rd child she never had to deliver.

Try to hold those emotions for the official diagnosis.

It's pretty crazy how often you read about broken valve springs on these 5.7s.
How many of them had cam tower reseals prior? I have only seen broken springs once at the dealer, and the cam towers had been resealed and the follower not installed correctly. I'm not saying this is the only cause, but it does make me wonder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom