Vibration / squeak / thumping (not a good outcome) wheel fell off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tend to agree with this. Torque spec for steelies is 154ft-lbs, so the studs should be able to take way past the 97ft-lbs spec for alloys.
Oohkay… I will tomorrow morning tourque my steelies. Must have made a mistake a few years ago when I researched the tourque for my wheels like „oh 150, fine“ without thinking about someone was writing about ft-lbs.
So my car is driving since years with 150Nm‘s -> 110ft-lbs…. and I did alot of sketchy stuff with the car (you wouldn’t believe how far a 200 can jump…).
Maybe the good thing is that I had removed the tires like every half year to work on things at the car. Maybe this and the fact that steelies are a bit more tolerant saved me from a situation like it happened to OP.

And yeah I also think that they might got kina loose over time or didn’t had enough tourque -> that damaged the studs with the years/ months/ whatever -> then the retightening with the right tourque finaly killed them.

I paid $23,000 for the LX almost 5 years ago and put 70k miles on it and they are cutting me a check for $22,977.66 (after the $500 deductible).
Yeah guess you're right, cars.com seems to show they're listing for around $20k. I'm surprised. Similar year and mileage LC's are in the $25-35k range.

I'm still shocked they're totalling it. I would not think there's anywhere near $20k in damage. Glad it doesn't put you upside down at least.

I talked to the claims adjuster about how they decide if they're going to fix it or salvage it. From what I gathered they get a guaranteed bid amount/ salvage value from Copart (insurance company salvage yard/ auction house ) then use that number against the retail value/ payout amount. Some place in between that spread there is a cut off, she told me that they generally salvage cars that have lost their wheel because the unknown damage to steering, suspension, frame... If you are a mechanic, this will be a good deal for someone. Over the last 2 years I had done all of the maintenance (starter, alternator, water pump, radiator, front wheel bearings, battery). This car is parked at the Portland, Oregon salvage yard.

Which insurance company is this? (I might have to switch)

I'm gonna go buy those $20k LXs of cars.com and total them and take the $23k payout!

Seriously though, sorry to joke about your incident. I know from experience having that happen is scary and it could be a lot worse. I am glad you were ok and are able to get paid without a huge amount of arguing back and forth.

Shows how much profit is in the insuring business that it isn’t worth messing with a $20k car.

I could easily see the lower suspension crossmember making contact with the ground with a lost wheel, and that’s work most shops won’t want to touch, given it’s a part of the frame and can’t easily be replaced. Also the lower ball joint, LCA, ball joint bridge, all in harm’s way.

Glad the numbers worked out for you though.. sucks to see a 200 off the road, but that’s inevitable I guess.

Everything happens for a reason!

2014 with 42k miles, perfect carfax, and is in fantastic shape..$53k
PXL_20240305_234315942.jpg

I took delivery this morning and couldn't be happier!

This car has sat in the seller's garage (second home) for the last eight years with almost no use. They bought it with 14k on it, and it has 42k today. It was always garaged and maintained by the dealership. I honestly don't think it has ever been on a dirt road. They did not have kids or pets, so the back seats have not been sat in, and the third row has never been dropped down. The floor mats are still sealed in the original packaging. It's still on its first set of brakes and tires!

This first owner was the GM of Toyota of Seattle.

2014 with 42k miles, perfect carfax, and is in fantastic shape..$53kView attachment 3574932

This car has sat in the seller's garage (second home) for the last eight years with almost no use. They bought it with 14k on it, and it has 42k today. It was always garaged and maintained by the dealership. I honestly don't think it has ever been on a dirt road. They did not have kids or pets, so the back seats have not been sat in, and the third row has never been dropped down. The floor mats are still sealed in the original packaging. It's still on its first set of brakes and tires!

Looks like a sweet find!

2014 with 42k miles, perfect carfax, and is in fantastic shape..$53kView attachment 3574932

Nice! Start exercising that CDL and 4Lo.

When the wheel came off, I was on the shoulder in the grass. You will need to replace the front wheel studs, and then you should be up and running. The front wheel and tire should be in the back of the rig; that is where I left it.

JTJHY7AX9A4050239
JTJHY7AX9A4******
Lot Number: 43998104
Copart

When the wheel came off, I was on the shoulder in the grass. You will need to replace the front wheel studs, and then you should be up and running. The front wheel and tire should be in the back of the rig; that is where I left it.

JTJHY7AX9A4050239
JTJHY7AX9A4******
Lot Number: 43998104
Copart
How fast were you going in tricycle mode?

Perfect candidate for BL and 37s and gears and lockers

lol You absolutely cannot help yourself can you?
I’m pretty sure @tbisaacs has a bot programmed on here.

Beep boop, 37s, bop, big ass lift 🤖

Good bot

lol You absolutely cannot help yourself can you?
I’m pretty sure @tbisaacs has a bot programmed on here.

Beep boop, 37s, bop, big ass lift 🤖

Good bot

Says 5mm spacer guy

giphy-downsized.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom