Overly cautious? Rebuilt engine break-in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished my project and have about 25 miles on my rebuilt 2F. Then left town.
I’ve been gone about a month.
With the engine sitting that long,
do you think the oil pump held a prime that long?
Before I started it initially, I did the trick where you cut open a filter, remove the element, screw it down & fill it with oil to prime.
Should I do this again?

I've never heard that "trick". On a fresh engine I ussually prime the pump with a drill and a stripped down distributor to spin the pump, then install the actual dist. After a month or more you should still have sufficient oil in the bearings. If your concerned, I'd probably disable the ignition and crank the engine to build oil pressure, then start it. Do you have a proper oil filter on it now?

Last edited:
I've never heard that "trick". On a fresh engine I ussually prime the pump with a drill and a stripped down distributor to spin the pump, then install the actual dist. After a month or more you should still have sufficient oil in the bearings. If you concerned, I'd probably disable the ignition and crank the engine to build oil pressure, then start it. Do you have a proper oil filter on it now?
I do have a proper oil filter on now.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I've just never heard of it, and I think there's simpler and possibly better ways to prime the pump and the oiling system.

Since it's been running previously, I don't see a need to reprime it to that extent, which ever way it's been primed b4.

zero reason to do this if it has already ran.

There is oil everywhere inside that engine now.

If you are worried, disconnect the coil and spin the motor with the starter a few turns.

Your title says “rebuilt engine break-in.” Was it run through the normal break-in cycles before and including the first 25 miles? If so, you should be good to go, maybe do as others have suggested and spin it a bit before running. If not, then yes there probably needs to be some caution taken and your engine builder should be consulted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom