FJ40 what did I break?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The OP said it seized up at some point..

Maybe can clarify exactly what happened? Was it running for 20 seconds and then slowed down very quickly to a stop?(like a mild heat seizure in the bore or bearings?), or perhaps it just stopped instantly (something broken and jammed in it?) or maybe you found it seized when you went to restart it (hydraulic lock?).

Worth checking the cam bearing caps while you're in there I guess

I quit trying to make sense of this thread he said it seized and then he said it is fine, which makes zero sense

I quit trying to make sense of this thread he said it seized and then he said it is fine, which makes zero sense
Exactly, it doesn’t, which is why I reached out for help. But that’s exactly what happened. It was running, I was tuning the carb then it started to choke out and it stopped suddenly, not slowly, suddenly. I found that I could move it, with effort, clockwise and as I kept moving it to started to free up. Eventually I could turn it over with the starter again but it hasn’t fired since. I was totally baffled by it. I appreciate your help and ideas to this point even if you’re giving up. Thanks bro!

The OP said it seized up at some point..

Maybe can clarify exactly what happened? Was it running for 20 seconds and then slowed down very quickly to a stop?(like a mild heat seizure in the bore or bearings?), or perhaps it just stopped instantly (something broken and jammed in it?) or maybe you found it seized when you went to restart it (hydraulic lock?).

Worth checking the cam bearing caps while you're in there I guess
See my reply to Matt. Thanks for your help!

Thats called running out of gas
Haha, I wish. It froze and the started couldn’t turn it any longer. I forced it to move by hand again. I have no idea why that would happen. I’m not very versed in the internal parts of the engine.

Could be that an ancillary (alternator etc) jammed up and now it isn't spinning fast enough to start????
Pull the belt off and see if anything comes to light??

Hydrolock was an interesting comment with pooling fuel in the intake. Does the oil smell gassy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom