Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This thread was better than I expected.

1616699513123.png

Personally EO is a bit comedic to me, gobs and gobs of money on pretentious overly serious trips. They'll have all the paramilitary gear, the "training", "security" team, name their vehicles and all this echo leader bravo foxtrot crap like theyre not basically just filming a family road trip for youtube. The Australian bros on the otherhand are straight up frat boy party animals and make no bones about it. They're there to have a good time, crack open a cold one at the beach, and have kick back with their mates. The aussie bros dont bother me even with the ludicrously expensive builds and crazy stuff because they dont take themselves that serious and theyre clearly just there to have some fun, the EO type overlanders are just way to serious to me.

Security team? We had a security team? They must have been super stealth :D

And then a quiet hush came over the room........crickets.......

I am laughing so hard right now. I almost didn’t post again because I felt like royalty just entered the room. Kurt, you rock. Your business model rocks. I will continue to buy my parts from your guys as long as the credit card will let me. Speaking of: Any four pinion third members show up yet that I can swap into my ’99 100 series? The 2 pinion rebuild I accomplished with the gears you supplied worked flawlessly BTW. Carry on. TAG @cruiseroutfit

Security team? We had a security team? They must have been super stealth :D
One of the seasons started out with a montage of self-defense training and one of the crew (maybe two?) was referred to as being charge of security...so maybe security team member would have been the better phrase....I mean, I still watched the whole thing so it obviously wasnt that off putting

One of the seasons started out with a montage of self-defense training and one of the crew (maybe two?) was referred to as being charge of security...so maybe security team member would have been the better phrase....I mean, I still watched the whole thing so it obviously wasnt that off putting

Ty has taken on the role of security, he's an original team member (predates my involvement) and was a US Marine. Fantastic human being and does acknowledge and discuss security more than any other on the team, particularly in Central and South America. None of it was over the top in my opinion (I didn't do any self defense training fwiw), it's all stuff we previously did on the Expeditions7 journey as well. Things like camp selection, bug-out bags, etc... All things that are worth considering in Latin America, or Baja, or western Utah. Traveling with lots of camera gear and paid employees (it's a job for all of us) does add a layer of risk and preparation to satisfy those that own the risk or insure the risk.

Speaking of: Any four pinion third members show up yet that I can swap into my ’99 100 series? The 2 pinion rebuild I accomplished with the gears you supplied worked flawlessly BTW. Carry on. TAG @cruiseroutfit

I'll peak around and see if anything has popped up. Staying 4.30 I presume?

If overlanding has all the latest bling, what is it called when you purposefully seek out old beat up used equipment that is as old or older than the occupants of the “base camp”? I have reverted back to canvas waxed tents and white gas because it reminds me of our camping trips of my youth. After reading this, I may never bolt anything to the outside of my rig again. Not really but....

20210420_154940.jpg

I don't seek out the old stuff, it just follows me around and won't quit.

The silver cylinder thing was a big splurge back in the day. It's a pump that gets the stove running quicker in subzero weather. The delux pot gripper, _pretty_ damn extravagant too, since the stove already came with a one.
Non-essential s*** is relative.

Last edited:
View attachment 2659940
I don't seek out the old stuff, it just follows me around and won't quit.

The silver cylinder thing was a big splurge back in the day. It's a pump that gets the stove running quicker in subzero weather. The delux pot gripper, _pretty_ damn extravagant too, since the stove already came with a one.
Non-essential s*** is relative.

Had one of these back in the late 70s-early 80s but it disappeared. Last summer found one in an antique store in the original box for a good price, ca. $25 so I grabbed it. Fuel in it was old but it fired up and I've been using it regularly to heat coffee water. Svea 123R 👍

Good price. I keep mine as a backup to propane in a camping van, but never even use the van's stove. Cook outside on this instead.

I bought a Coleman 400 dated from 1982 to cook my meals in my soon to start Pyrénées roadtrip with the FJ40 😁
You never have enough of smelling petrol 😅

In honor of this post I did not attach my axe and shovel and pretend like I was going to hack down a trail in the amazon and opted instead to citronella tiki torches in the quickfist clamps on the roof rack. Now if only Front Runner or Alu-Cab could come up with an overland tiki torch and charge me $300 for it then I'll really be overlanding...only the essentials.
IMG-6579.jpg

I know this ain't a meme thread but I thought these were sorta relevant

Screenshot_20210504-144223_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210504-144204_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210504-144213_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210504-144159_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Overland can be hard to define. It is in the eye of the beholder. It's not quite off-roading, and more than a road trip. Somewhere in between or the combination of the two. Sprinkle in some gadgets to make a remote area more comfortable. I think the "Overland rig" is appealing because it is a jack of all trades. Daily driver, long trips, and offroad. Not really great at any but adequate.

I think they said it on EO, Overland is having a nice meal in the middle of nowhere. Beats a quarantine at home.

Personally, I like the Swiss army knife approach. Looks like an offroad vehicle but you can fold out a bunch of gadgets like a shower or galley. Not a fan of bolt on gear and racks. I hate that my hilift is on my front bumper but I was a bonehead and bought the 60 in.

Does grey man camping count as overlanding?

This thread was a good read. It is reassuring that there are people out there that think Overlanding is getting way out of hand. I have buddies that are constantly wanting to talk about overlanding because I lived in Africa and had a Land cruiser. In America, the translation of "Overlanding" has gotten lost. What used to be "Camping" in cars is mixed in with a little bit of offroading and now its considered overlanding.
In another sense its quite sad that people are spending so much on the rigs and looking the part to make themselves look and feel more adventurous rather than just using that money and going out.
I just got back into another 100 series Land cruiser with about 340K miles on the clock but super clean. Planning a trip down through South America hopefully in the next 2 years.

I have this guys book.
This is what a proper overlanding rig looks like and looks to be one amazing road trip.

granted its not a Toyota but its still an amazing book.

I may be wrong, but I would think that most of the equipment people buy is used and while what people do with it may not be for true "overlanding", it is used for camping and convenience. Social media has popularized overlanding and the market has capitalized on all the people jumping on the bandwagon. Here in the USA I think the true overlanders are the retired long term RV crowd :). The rest of us are just on a road trip and car camping.

There is an appeal to people who have limited time off to use the vehicle to have a more comfortable outing or more convenient set up and breakdown. Most people can't take even a few weeks to travel and are confined to spending the weekend camping. Because of that, the convenience (or marketed convenience) this gear promises has a broad appeal. I am sure that people are finding uses for this stuff outside the usual camping and are using it for day trips, using their refridgerator for costco runs, sporting events etc. which is why many leave the equipment mounted to their vehicles. Sure some of it is to look cool, some of it is buying into the hype without knowing what they need, but around where I live I suspect a lot of it is the growing "outdoor lifestyle" and the convenience this gear offers. I am sure others have tried it out and find it just isn't for them. They liked the idea of it as shown on social media but didn't enjoy the experience of it.

By the way, I have nothing bolted to my vehicles outside, no drawer system or refridgerator, no awning or any of that sort of stuff. I have contemplated some of it but don't have a dedicated camping vehicle and with a young family our needs when camping are constantly changing. For me flexibility trumps temporary convenience, especially at the price this stuff sells for when I may find out that it isn't so useful in a year or two as the kids get older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom