Original 4 door HJ47 Troopy Find? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have another thread which is following my build of three different 40 series as I have been sourcing parts and networking to find wrecks across East Africa I came across and have bought this wreck:
4door.jpg

On arriving home today I started to google for a 4 door HJ47 - but have found nothing other than ICON builds. Minus roof hatches this rotten rig seems to be pretty much original. Can someone tell me about the model?

I can't imagine someone would have fabricated those doors without obvious signs so long ago here in Kenya.

Does anyone have any info on it?

Original Thread: Triple 40 Series build Thread.

That ps front door looks like a later model than the rear door (although it is hard to tell anything about that rear door, except that it looks like it came from a 55). My guess is that it's been pieced together.

There's so much one-off stuff out there. Land Rover, Hummer, and Toyota all supplied the Red Cross and the UN - and most of those were unique vehicles. Fact is I think there's a place in Gibraltar that does nothing but modify vehicles for World organizations (mostly they're Toyotas now). Perhaps that came from them? Their stuff looks/is really high quality.

As I asked before, need more pictures.... :)

Apparently Toyota made those extra doors but they never fitted them. There were some old pics from the South Pacific of dual cab 45 built from factory parts for mining ops posted on Mud a few years back. Might have been Landpimp.
The 7* series had the same thing even before the factory dual cab was built

Very unique find you have there! I look at Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings and realize that although the USA is probably the wealthiest country in the World, we are getting totally screwed over as Landcruiser enthusiasts here in the good old USA! Geez they are selling their junk over here.............

The seventy series makes everything here in the US; except the old 40's look like garbage..................

Not from toyota... modified

Toyotas dual doors would most likely been the same door handles ... pic is horable btw lol

It does look like even its a pre75' door in the rear with the typical cabinet style door handle as seen on FST rear doors ... or could be the early door handles ... just can't tell by the pic

Here's a pic of a 4 door from Pakistan and a pic from factory literature

IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG

Very unique find you have there! I look at Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings and realize that although the USA is probably the wealthiest country in the World, we are getting totally screwed over as Landcruiser enthusiasts here in the good old USA! Geez they are selling their junk over here.............

I won't say the words that I said when I first saw that site.... Mace would toss me for sure, unless he'd seen the site, then he might (for once) agree with the assessment ;)

Going to check it out in Thursday and will take some better pictures!

Cool

I have another thread which is following my build of three different 40 series as I have been sourcing parts and networking to find wrecks across East Africa I came across and have bought this wreck:
View attachment 1362084

On arriving home today I started to google for a 4 door HJ47 - but have found nothing other than ICON builds. Minus roof hatches this rotten rig seems to be pretty much original. Can someone tell me about the model?

I can't imagine someone would have fabricated those doors without obvious signs so long ago here in Kenya.

Does anyone have any info on it?

Original Thread: Triple 40 Series build Thread.
Toyota never made a 4-door FJ. (Or HJ, for that matter.) Probably not an ICON, because they're new and expensive, and nobody would leave it there to rust. It's probably an old-school custom chop job. Very neat find though!

I was stationed in Afghanistan in 2006. We had brand new Toyota ambulances. From the windshield forward they were FJ40 including suspension. They had diesel engines but they would never meet US emissions.

few in Aus. they were made for the mines and converted by Arkana. (i think). Perth mob. rare but definitely a few around. seen a few of them but mostly rusted out unfortunately. i think that the vehicles started out as troopy's.

Last edited:
Church and aid have plenty of money to spend, I was always stunned that priest used big station wagons 4x4 with ALL the options.
As a kid I had the accessory price-list, I knew what the do gooders were driving, my dad would laugh when I showed him another must have list, a shovel and axe was cheaper.
Last time I was there I saw the WWF give a suzuki samurai long bed to a guy that had no driving license in Nakuru, no idea about the locking hubs, I explained it, no idea uphill in 3th gear destroys the clutch, just keep trying :bang:
There was an abandoned 55 standing at the entrance of the national park, to expensive fuelcost to drive.
Anyway there is so much money between goodwill and business Toyota will not hesitate to build some special edition, money does it all.

Dutch aid truck company: De Baanderij - Catalog

Last edited:
Hello,

Could it be one of those safari truck conversions?

I remember reading somewhere (and a long time ago) that there was a Land Cruiser assembly plant in Kenya. Can anybody confirm?

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom