Orig. Soft Top Bows-What are they worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, what would a complete set of factory FJ40 soft top bows in excellent condition be worth? Thanks in advance for the replies!

They are going for about $350-500, depending on how quickly you want to move them. This is one of those things that used to be worth more, but they now need to compete with the new reproductions on price.

Thanks for the reply Pin_Head. I'm considering buying a set from a guy and didn't want to get taken. I'm am rather amazed that the rest of the board can view this post 32 times and not offer up a reply though. I appreciate you helping me out here! :cheers:

Yes, you don't see them all that often, so not everyone would have experience with it. I have bought and sold a couple of sets as recently as this summer. I may have another set for sale soon in the lower end of this price range because part of the set will be reproduction.

[quote author=red64toy link=board=1;threadid=6753;start=msg55467#msg55467 date=1067219432]
How hard would it be to make a set? Thanks.
[/quote]

hard! the part that goes above the doorsand behind the doors are the complex part, the bows themselfs would be pretty easy.

John H

Oh and I had never seen a set in person till I bought 3 trucks loads of old parts and it came with 2 sets :) not many factory soft tops up in WA for some reason........oh....maybe cause it rains alot ;)

John H

Pin_Head,

What does a reproduction set usually run? Are they the ones from Pakistan?

Hey Landpimp,
Since you don't need those softtop bows and I have a softtop model, I could take a set off your hands at no charge. :D

[quote author=red64toy link=board=1;threadid=6753;start=msg55467#msg55467 date=1067219432]
How hard would it be to make a set? Thanks.
[/quote]

It is possible to make OEM soft top bows from hard top sides:

http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/OEMBows/FrontBow.html

I have made a couple of sets, but it is not cost effective competing against Pakistani labor.

EHsan in Pakistan is selling them for around $600 for top and bows and $350 in shipping. I have not seen them but have heard they are wonderful. Price is not that bad considering the price of a POS Bestop. Check out the PBB.

I know about Ehsan and the tops he makes. I would love to have one but being a college student, I won't see $950 to spend on my cruier in a long time to come. I was just curious to see if I could save money on building my own bows. Thanks for the response though.

[quote author=red64toy link=board=1;threadid=6753;start=msg55519#msg55519 date=1067226349]
I know about Ehsan and the tops he makes. I would love to have one but being a college student, I won't see $950 to spend on my cruier in a long time to come. I was just curious to see if I could save money on building my own bows. Thanks for the response though.
[/quote]

So, lets see, dig up side panels, cut them down, make the other bow parts(theres alot of work there) and then have to buy the vinyl from STC, the only supplier, for $500?

The amount of effort that would go into making the bows would easily be worth $450, nevermind the fact you have to dig up side panels and some other parts like the windsheild channel etc.

I guess then nevermind to the whole thing. It looks like a bad idea now that I see the breakdown of cost. Thanks for the help. :)

Why would they have to be vinyl?

I am currently thinking about making a soft top or at least half cab. I have some of the softop bows and they would not be to hard to make, good link to hartop side mod. I dont have all the bows so some custom making would be needed. Would it have to be perfect to oem specs? i figure i make it the way I want mine would be close but you could just build it to suit you, go with family cage and just cover that with the top. Also I have a local awning (spelling) that does custom bed caps with zipper door sides, rear windows pull open doors, and pull up to move doors, which are about the sweetest looking cap i have ever seen. I think they should be able to do the tops with no problem. They have crazy color fabric to do them in too, the cap i looked at was dark purple :eek: :eek: Costs i dont know about as of yet on the tops themselves, but i should be contacting them.

[quote author=HI^C link=board=1;threadid=6753;start=msg55845#msg55845 date=1067295506]

I am currently thinking about making a soft top or at least half cab. I have some of the softop bows and they would not be to hard to make, good link to hartop side mod. I dont have all the bows so some custom making would be needed.

Would it have to be perfect to oem specs?
[/quote]

As long as the bows are withing about 1/2 inch of the OEM, it should fit well. I used slip joints in the tubular parts of my reproduction set and the actually fits better in the repro set than in the genuine Toyota bows because you can adjust the slip joints vertically and horizontally for a tight fit. The Kayline top is just a little sloppy in the genuine Toyota bow set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom