Opinions On "Garage Gladiator" (or similar) Storage Systems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you all think about these "new fangled" garage storage systems such as Garage Gladiator (or similar)? I've always relied on simple systems like 2x4's anchored to the studs where I would bore a series of 1/2 inch holes and insert a series of 1/2 dowel rods cut to various lengths. It works well enough but I bumped into a site selling storage systems that seem to be much more flexible as well as much more expensive! Anyone with experiences positive or negative or suggestions for something better? Thanks.

Here's a few links for review. :cheers:

Wall Systems GAWC042PPY from Gladiator® GarageWorks

Wall Components GAWUXXTWRH from Gladiator® GarageWorks

Gladiator® GarageWorks | Garage Wall Component

I was at Home Depot last week mulling over that same set up and wondering if it was worth it.

Looks nice if you have a clear wall that you want to put all your hanging stuff in one area.

I usually just buy the single hangers and screw them to a stud where I have a spot to hang s***.

I really need some cabinetry in my garage...

Go look at your garage right now. See how much stuff is hanging on the wall. How much is in cabinets, etc.

The system looks nice but I think it is designed for merchandise on a showroom. Way too pretty for me. If I saw a Garage fully outfitted with the Gladiator System, there would probably be a Ferrari in the drive way or some other exotic vehicle. Maybe even a land cruiser.

what de dog man sed.

I've drooled over those systems for years, yet work in an (many) imperfect one(s).

Coupla nails on a beam will hold the shovel/ leaf rake/ etc just as well as a bazillion thousand dollar man-cave makeover.

You can poll us as to if its a true ManCave when your done....

Used slatwall from retail establishments is cheap and effective. 4x8 sheets are $40-50 new and $20 used. I plan on putting a wall of it up on one side of the garage to help organize as well.. Keep an eye on craigslist or find a reseller of used retail shelving etc. The resellers have it cheap and have the hooks as well. it is mdf and can "pop" a chunk out if your not careful and don't overload it. They make plastic slatwall but it's MUCHO expensive but it's waterproof and stronger.

Used slatwall from retail establishments is cheap and effective. 4x8 sheets are $40-50 new and $20 used. I plan on putting a wall of it up on one side of the garage to help organize as well.. Keep an eye on craigslist or find a reseller of used retail shelving etc. The resellers have it cheap and have the hooks as well. it is mdf and can "pop" a chunk out if your not careful and don't overload it. They make plastic slatwall but it's MUCHO expensive but it's waterproof and stronger.

2x, but the best approach is to watch for a store going out of business. You can get the stuff for next to nothing. Used store fixtures are not pretty, but they are built to take a beating.:cool:

I use 1/4 inch peg board cut about 18 in wide and about 8 ft long. I add 12 to 15 inch wide shelfing on top and lag screw i into the wall at about 6 feet high. you can buy the pegs kits that have all kinds of shapes to them and put whatever you want on them. Cheap and effective

Slatwall is good but can tear a hook out if overloaded. Gridwall wire type stuff works better. I had the slatwall in my bikeshop for display purposes, the slatwall in the workshop to hold acrually hold stuff.

You might be interested in seeing the system I'm going with on one of the walls in my garage:
Garage Storage Systems | DIY Projects | Reader's Digest

I'll be modifying it slightly for my needs, but for the most part it looks to be pretty slick. Helps that I opted for plywood over gyprock to begin with.

Whoo Hoo .. I just scored a whole cell phone store of slat wall including all the pegs for $350.. Keep an eye on craigslist.. THis one was 4 miles from the house.. I have to pull the stuff off the wall.. Minor detail..

You might be interested in seeing the system I'm going with on one of the walls in my garage:
Garage Storage Systems | DIY Projects | Reader's Digest

I'll be modifying it slightly for my needs, but for the most part it looks to be pretty slick. Helps that I opted for plywood over gyprock to begin with.

That looks like way too much work. Some cheapo cabinets and a peg board works well for me. I will show off a cool overhead storage I came up with utilizing some metal display grids. I am switching garages this weekend so I will be able to sanp some pics easily.

*Edited*
So I am finally finishing up my garage move, and was able to snap the pics of my overhead storage. Using the display grids I used to zip tie my photos to at car shows now that they are retired they serve a new purpose under my storage loft in the garage.
bluetribal-albums-misc-picture13975-overhead-garage-storage-suing-metal-display-grids.jpg

Using the 'S' hooks I used on my booth for display now support the grids on nails.
bluetribal-albums-misc-picture13976-overhead-garage-storage-suing-metal-display-grids-used-my-display-s-hooks-nails-hold-up.jpg

And these shelves I have found very useful in storing my scrap wood from left over projects.
bluetribal-albums-misc-picture13977-overhead-garage-storage-suing-metal-display-grids-perfect-storing-my-scrap-lumber.jpg

Last edited:
I have installed the Gladiator Storage in my garage. They are quite expensive, probably not the best cost effective way to go. But I love them.

I'm looking at Gladiator and alternatives and just did a quick google search to see what would come up. Funny a mud thread was 5th in my results.. 👍

I don't think I would go the route of premade garage cabinets. way too expensive.

I have a few large toolchests in the garage, that helps on space. I have wall-mounted shelving up high, big help there. Floor mounted open steel shelving down low. none of that cost me much.

I use pegboard too, it really helps store tools on a workbench wall, and gets the bulky, light ones out of the toolbox too.

I've seen guys take it a bit further, recycling store or kitchen cabinets on garage wall. Either can be painted toolbox red, change the hinges and door hardware to stainless or black, to look like they belong there.

I still have some 6' or 7' lockable steel cabinets to add, it'll make my big power tool storage easier. A Vidmar is needed too, allowing me to efficiently store all my smaller parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom