Open to Ideas | PAIR broken stud removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SmokingRocks

hopelessly addicted to Cruisers
Threads
Ok. looking for ideas on how to remove this stud. Preferably without removing the manifold and drilling the bastard out, if it were my car I'd just plug and weld the damn hole up but I can't. I had to cut the stud because the nut stripped out on the rest of it and wouldn't come off.

I guess I'm going to try to get a nut on it and weld it to the stud, then blast it with heat then PB then heat then PB and try to wiggle it out.... IDK I've just had like 50% success doing that method so I'm a little hesitant. It's currently soaking in break free while I consider my options.

IMG_9271.jpg

My dad’s in the bodyshop business and I’ve seen him use a similar tool as this to make easy work of stubborn/rusty/stuck bolts before. Not sure if you wanna invest this much but it’s a huge time saver.

Solary Magnetic Induction Heater Kit 1000W 110V For Automotive Flameless Heat Induction Heat 1KW Hand Tool https://a.co/d/gk6bJMg

^^^

Probably the best way. I think I’d start with this one.

If you get a grip on it, tap the end with a hammer (like it's a nail) while you torque on it.

Clean the threads with a die and double nut?
Can't not enough room since I had to cut half the stud off

Vice grip is a good idea that I forgot about. I'll try that with some heat, not sure I can get a hammer in there to tap on it but that's a good idea too.

Thanks guys.

I usually try to grind/file some flats onto the thing to make it impossible for the pliers to slip. Note that I do not have those rad Knipex ones so maybe this is unnecessary with those, but it only takes a minute and certainly cannot hurt.

That induction heater is clever-awesome!!!

I would use a MAPP gas torch, and heat the stud red hot , then cool with PB Blaster. Do this three times at least.
Then twist with Vise Grips. Make sure the Vise Grips are on there as tight as your hands can make them the FIRST time.
Using the hammer tap on the end of the stud while twisting definitely helps. It does NOT have to be a big hammer with hard hits. I usually use a tiny ball peen and lots of little hits to create a vibration to help break free the corrosion.

I would repeat this process at least three times before I get too carried away with anything else.

This process comes from many years of the Midwest rust application.

thats a rough one but Ive had good luck with patience, PB blaster, vice grips and wiggling, one exhaust bolt/stud on 49 willys took a couple of days.

Yea I'm going to get on it with the good ol' vice grips tonight, just take my time. It'll probably be easier than I'm working it up to be, but I just know that these exhaust studs are a crap shoot. Sometimes they look mean but don't put up a fight and other times they look easy and then punch you in the dick until you just want to set the whole thing on fire.

Well things started out well
IMG_9272.jpg

IMG_9273.jpg

Then the second guy came in for the good ol' dick punch
IMG_9274.jpg

I'm just going to let that be tomorrow problem

Oh, way too bad. Sorry. Often times it’s ‘learn as you go’. Good luck.

Learning haha Yea I've probably delt with 100 stuck bolts, the last time I had a clients car that I knew was going to be a disaster I just soaked everything for two weeks. And while I had my struggles I didn't break a single bolt. So just when I felt like Im starting to figure it out I drop back to a 50% hit rate.... smh... Just something about exhaust bolts that are always a crap shoot. I'm going to grind it back spring punch, drill, and tap it out. I already tried the welder this bugger is not leaving his home, but he wont have a choice when I bring him out shaving by shaving.

Learning haha Yea I've probably delt with 100 stuck bolts, the last time I had a clients car that I knew was going to be a disaster I just soaked everything for two weeks. And while I had my struggles I didn't break a single bolt. So just when I felt like Im starting to figure it out I drop back to a 50% hit rate.... smh... Just something about exhaust bolts that are always a crap shoot. I'm going to grind it back spring punch, drill, and tap it out. I already tried the welder this bugger is not leaving his home, but he wont have a choice when I bring him out shaving by shaving.
You got excited then got in a hurry, didn't you?

Bites you in the ass every time.

Approach the second one the same as the first, always.

Sorry for your troubles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom