Oooops, I, did it again.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The items you have circled in red go between the flywheel bolt heads and the flywheel, like washers. After the flywheel bolts are torqued to spec the edges of these sheet metal pieces are bent up against the flats of the bolt heads. Doing this will keep the bolts from loosening up and backing out.

Don
Well SONOFABITCH.... Guess I'm taking that apart again, Loctite and all...

Thanks!

Well, flywheel is on WITH the locking tabs now! And the clutch is in... That's a bugger to do up when the engine is on the ground!

Next have to clean up the clutch fork and get it in there.

image.jpeg

Bit of a mess to clean up!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Well SONOFABITCH.... Guess I'm taking that apart again, Loctite and all...

Thanks!

I wish I had known that you already had the flywheel bolt, with loctite, in place. My opinion is that properly applied loctite can take the place of those bolt locks. That's what I'm going to have to do with the flywheel on my Nissan SD-22. One of the bolt locks was split, leaving me with the concern for the piece breaking off and potentially causing future clutch problems. Since I was unable to find a replacement I plan to leave them off and use loctite instead.

Don

I wish I had known that you already had the flywheel bolt, with loctite, in place. My opinion is that properly applied loctite can take the place of those bolt locks. That's what I'm going to have to do with the flywheel on my Nissan SD-22. One of the bolt locks was split, leaving me with the concern for the piece breaking off and potentially causing future clutch problems. Since I was unable to find a replacement I plan to leave them off and use loctite instead.

Don
Not to worry, impact gun made quick work of taking them back out again! All back together now, with Loctite and locking tabs!

Just awaiting one more package in the mail and then the clutch fork can go on, transmission go on, and it can go in the truck!

Should be in place by the end of the year!

Well, not much headway on the 40, it's COLD out there!!!

Did finally get around to finishing up the video from the trip this past summer in our BJ70!

Enjoy it while you wait for New Year's Eve!!

Got some parts in and braved the cold... Got my clutch release bearing pressed off and the new one on. That was about all the cold my hands could take! Old bearing definitely needed to be replaced!

Ahh, shiny new!
image.jpeg

Got my release bearing, clutch fork boot and clutch return spring from FJ parts.com - I had never heard of them, but happy with the purchase!

Well it's warmed up a little, and the shop heat is starting to make it bearable again - so I managed to spend some time in the shop today!

Got the clutch finger depth set:
image.jpeg

Got the clutch fork installed, greased up the bearing and the nose of the trany, as well as a super thin smearing on the mating surfaces of the trans and bellhousing to prevent corrosion.

image.jpeg

Then got the tranny bolted back up! Man this thing is LONG!

image.jpeg

Also made a quick video of the Eastwood 5lb vibratory tumbler that I've been cleaning my nuts (and bolts!) with.

Well I've started into the bodywork, and unfortunately there is more metalwork than I expected there to be (as should be expected right?)

Anyway, I took the plunge and bought a rear sill from CCOT, and started fixing some other areas. Made a little video with some of what I'm doing - might make more of the metal work process if people are interested...

Boy did this project get stalled.... Just like the other 40 in the garage.

Well hey, why not start another!!

So, now I’m going to build a press brake so I can make the panels I need, and I’m also going to bring the 45 into the shop to strip the body off and start digging into the frame on that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom