ONSC dog thread v2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We got a Bottoms Up Harness for Bacchus (tall, skinny, 100lb GSD) that helped out amazingly with his hind end paralysis many years ago. There weren't many options of that sort back then but you can get one at Walmart now. Would have been nice to have something that could be left on like the Help Em Up that Ramon mentioned. Of course, he would have just ate the damn thing when we turned our backs.

Thinking about this, I don't think the Bottoms Up would be very nice for an animal in pain, since you have to manipulate him into and out of the straps every time. As I said above, we were dealing with paralysis.

So sorry to hear of all the losses this week.

James & Jamie - So sorry to hear of your losses. Really hate it for you guys. Most of us have been there at one point or another, so we know how much it sucks to lose a little buddy.

So sorry to hear about these pups, guys. It's so unfair, but unfortunately we've all been there - cherish the memories.

There was a pet adoption group outside the pet store near Rite Aid today. I drooled from a distance, walked up to check it out, took this picture then ran away scared and confused. I've been dog-free almost 3 years and still feel like I'd be cheating if I got another dog. I take an animal commitment very seriously and the level of care I gave to Bacchus and Giselle in their last years created a bond that has become a hurdle I just can't get over yet. I admire you people who can jump right back in after losing one. Seriously, I couldn't even get close enough to pet them. Sorry to vent, but I figure it's better than getting drunk at 2:30pm and I'm sure at least one of you will understand.

IMG_7880.jpg

I waited 5 years before I could get another dog after the black Lab I had for 13 to 14 years was put down. My wife wanted me to get a dog because the shop I was renting was so isolated and I wanted a pistol. We went back and forth like that for weeks until I relented and got another dog. I got the pistol too but the dog is friendlier and more loving.

There was a pet adoption group outside the pet store near Rite Aid today. I drooled from a distance, walked up to check it out, took this picture then ran away scared and confused. I've been dog-free almost 3 years and still feel like I'd be cheating if I got another dog. I take an animal commitment very seriously and the level of care I gave to Bacchus and Giselle in their last years created a bond that has become a hurdle I just can't get over yet. I admire you people who can jump right back in after losing one. Seriously, I couldn't even get close enough to pet them. Sorry to vent, but I figure it's better than getting drunk at 2:30pm and I'm sure at least one of you will understand.

View attachment 1427931
I completely understand the feeling.
Though it takes some time to get over it even after the adoption of a new dog, you won't regret it.
Dogs complicate our lives in many ways, but I, for one, think the enrichment far outweighs the complications. Especially for a rescue.

I completely understand the feeling.
Though it takes some time to get over it even after the adoption of a new dog, you won't regret it.
Dogs complicate our lives in many ways, but I, for one, think the enrichment far outweighs the complications. Especially for a rescue.

Agreed - I lasted all of 30 days - but I understand @JohnVee. And I won't bore everyone over the care given to the pooch the last years... :) But I digress - there is nothing wrong with getting drunk at 230pm. :)

We had no intention of getting a dog after our first pup, Rex, passed away. The draw to help dogs led us to assist rescue groups - we did transports, short-term fosters, etc. for about 6 months. In the course of taking on a foster-until-adopt for one rescue, Jacob came to our house and it was clear he was the one. Can't imagine life now without him.

Not to be a fruitloop, but I am convinced the right dog will find you when the time is right.

We had no intention of getting a dog after our first pup, Rex, passed away. The draw to help dogs led us to assist rescue groups - we did transports, short-term fosters, etc. for about 6 months. In the course of taking on a foster-until-adopt for one rescue, Jacob came to our house and it was clear he was the one. Can't imagine life now without him.

Not to be a fruitloop, but I am convinced the right dog will find you when the time is right.

I believe this is referred to as a "foster fail", which is a very negative term for a great thing.
My wife wanted to foster for pug rescue. I could not allow that for financial reasons. That may sound rediculous, but I was recently catching a bag of s*** for my expensive Land Cruiser hobby, so I tallied the expense of her pug "hobby".
I bought the 44 just a bit after our first pug. I s*** you not, we have spent more on the dogs than on the Land Cruiser & 4Runner during that time. That includes the purchase price of the BJ44.
I feel my thoughts have wandered, but I suppose that is to be expected when sitting at a bar away from the family for an extended period.
Carry on. There's nothing to see here.

I believe this is referred to as a "foster fail", which is a very negative term for a great thing.

At least among the people we interact with, "foster fail" is very much a term of endearment, if not an outright badge of honor.

Oh a Sharpie!!! I've always thought I wanted one, but have yet to check that off my bucket list.

John V it is hard, very hard. But the way I look at it. My dogs were all rescues and they all got to be loved and cared for. I feel that they would want me to fill their void with another rescue and show them love and care they aren't used to getting. It is so rewarding to see a rescue go from being shy and timid to being a in you lap or within 5 ft of you at all times. I have so many happy memories, they do out weigh my bad.

Best of luck!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to wait until you're ready to start a new journey with a new dog. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to jump right back in. After Marley died, I was heartbroken. I had raised him from 7 weeks old until he passed away at almost 12 years old. I waited about 4 months before I even thought about looking for another dog, but as soon as I opened myself up to the idea, a couple weeks later my neighbor, who fosters dogs for a couple of programs, called me saying he had a 9-month old lab mix that he had just gotten to foster and he thought of me. Allowing myself to be ok with taking in Jackson was one of the best decisions I've made, as he's a great dog. He's a different dog than Marley was, but that's ok. My wife really believes that "Marley sent Jackson to us." Now....I don't know about that, but whatever it is....call it fate. I'm glad I gave it another go.

When you're ready John, there will be a pooch out there for ya.

Some of you have met Sam, sweet little terrierist that he is....

Well, the other night about 9PM I had him out and he was digging at something, sticking his face down in the hole, typical for him. Well he is going to town and i call him and he reluctantly breaks off and runs to the door. I open the door he runs across the living room leaps into Heather's lap and gets her all dirty....................and that's when she felt the first bite, red ants. On her, the dog, across the living room floor, on the chair.

Sweet, aint he

16830649_1424787220885498_7100510681204412557_n.jpg

Lot of good eatin on a dog his size :)

The wife recently started a facebook page, instagram and will be launching a website soon for our 10 dogs and the adventures we go on and talking about the day ins and outs of having this many rescues. Eventually she plans on doing some product reviews which will be uploaded to the website as well. Please give her a follow if youre interested.

The Mutt Mafia (@themuttmafia) • Instagram photos and videos
www.facebook.com/muttmafia

The wife recently started a facebook page, instagram and will be launching a website soon for our 10 dogs and the adventures we go on and talking about the day ins and outs of having this many rescues. Eventually she plans on doing some product reviews which will be uploaded to the website as well. Please give her a follow if youre interested.

The Mutt Mafia (@themuttmafia) • Instagram photos and videos
www.facebook.com/muttmafia

Liked and following on Facebook :)

We got the chance to meet Dexter last night. I woke up this morning half expecting him to be around :)

http://bfpa.org/adopt/adoptable-dogs/#action_0=pet&animalID_0=11231408&petIndex_0=7

He will be doing a house visit next week hopefully.

Today is a tough day for him as he is going to the Vet to lose a couple items off the bottom side of his torso :)

He looks like a fox and a hound and a German Shepard had a baby. He is kind and gentle. He has long legs and can run like a horse although he looks to enjoy trotting mostly. We were surprised at how attentive and calm he is for being 1 years old.

We got the chance to meet Dexter last night. I woke up this morning half expecting him to be around :)

http://bfpa.org/adopt/adoptable-dogs/#action_0=pet&animalID_0=11231408&petIndex_0=7

Today is a tough day for him as he is going to the Vet to lose a couple items off the bottom side of his torso :)

He looks like a fox and a hound and a German Shepard had a baby. He is kind and gentle. He has long legs and can run like a horse although he looks to enjoy trotting mostly. We were surprised at how attentive and calm he is for being 1 years old.

Very cool! We adopted Hank (avatar pic) from BFPA way back in 2000. Great group and sending good luck your way!

He's not on the site anymore. How about a pic here? Congrats man.

He's not on the site anymore. How about a pic here? Congrats man.

Shoot - Sorry about that. They took his pics down as he is now "claimed" :) We will get some pics as soon as we get him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom