Only 22psi... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow mudders!

I have a 1hdt 80 and I just can't seem to get over 22psi with... I have a turbo that is ls proven to be capable of putting out 35psi! (Gturbo Bad Boy)
I have installed a boost tee and with it fully adjusted there is no change in boost, I have even gone for I drive with no air filter in because I thought there might be a restriction there.
I might see if I can find the old inlet manifold pipe and bypass the intercooler to see if I am loosing all my boost there.
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Sam

waste gate ............. Even if you install a boost controller (electronic or manual) if your gate only has a 22lb spring in it thats all your going to get even if the turbo is capable of a lot more. Hence the function of the waste gate, its your primary method of limiting boost pressure to safe levels....

Pressure test the intake side. I use a piece of pipe I welded an air fitting to that I clamp in the intake side of the turbo and pressureise to 10 psi. A friend us uses pic pipe that he drilled and screwed a fitting into, You will hear the air leaking if you have any bad connections. The waste gate Spring pressure shouldn't matter if you are using a boost controller.

Seems to me a boost tee or MBC can only do so much beyond the wastegate. I'd get a bigger wastegate spring and then fine-tune with the MBC or boost tee.

waste gate ............. Even if you install a boost controller (electronic or manual) if your gate only has a 22lb spring in it thats all your going to get even if the turbo is capable of a lot more. Hence the function of the waste gate, its your primary method of limiting boost pressure to safe levels....

I thought it was the other way around. At least for aftermarket wastegates. The spring is the lowest boost setting, and boost controller bleeds off to achieve a higher pressure.

I say check your installtion of the boost controller. Or possible wastegate stuck open- slow spool/low boost.

Have you played with your pump settings at all? You might just be hitting the wall of boost achievable at that level of fueling. I assume you have gauges if you're pushing the envelope this far, what are your EGT's like?

Try posting in the diesel section for an audience that deals with this stuff more frequently.

Thanks for the replies guys.

i do believe that the boost controller is to increase boost, not lower as a couple of you have stated, maybe a fault is there?
I have tried with the boost tee arrow facing both ways and with the pipe to the waste gate disconnected, 22psi is the most I can get to no matter what I do.

Ton504 it could be waste gate stuck open. But it is very responsive though, it will hit full boost before 2000rpm. Open waste gate wouldn't have very good turbo response would it?

IanB might be on to something, for the amount of boost it never seems got go as hard as other modified 80s.
I have had a few different set ups for egts.
2" lift/33's 250deg cruising
Same with bar work/roof rack 275deg
Same with 4" lift/37's 325deg
Egts will get to 450deg (probably further)if pushed hard for a while, but I always stop there and back right off.
They are all post turbo readings too.

I'm making 24 PSI before 2K rpm .. so I would say you have a leak and I'm using my stock wastegate and halmans boost controller. or maybe your boost gauge it's not correct ?

It's all advertisement that's why. If your not burning enough fuel the boost will never happen. Plain and simple: Power equals fuel consumption and appropriate amounts of oxygen. Where are your EGT's?

Last edited:
waste gate bleeds pressure. when you suddenly decelerate, back pressure is created between the turbo and motor and the wastegate bleeds off that pressure once it reaches the level dictated by the spring. It's what prevents your plumbing from grenading when you decelerate. This is why it goes between the turbo and the intake, it has no mechanical (or other) way to make pressure. If you have a 22lb spring it will bleed off at 22lbs anything above that pressure, you should hear it when it does this. It's a gate, that wastes additional pressure..wastegate

A boost controller can electronically open a wastegate to relieve pressure or be used to control it's opening, thus pressure, as set by RPM, think progressive and programmable turbo in vague terms. For example you want 25lbs at 1000-3500 rpm, and you want it to ramp down from 25lbs to 15lbs between 3500-4000rpm. Thus you are making more boost / power when you need it, and gradually backing down as you reach RPM. Usually used more during acceleration of RPM so you "feather" in the boost. A N2O2 controller does this by progressively applying nitrous so you don't spin the tires at launch. You can set maximum MANAGEABLE power at launch and increase as speed / RPM increase so you maintain traction. Boost controller is different obviously but follows the same principal

:meh:

Last edited:
waste gate bleeds pressure. when you suddenly decelerate, back pressure is created between the turbo and motor and the wastegate bleeds off that pressure once it reaches the level dictated by the spring. It's what prevents your plumbing from grenading when you decelerate. This is why it goes between the turbo and the intake, it has no mechanical (or other) way to make pressure. If you have a 22lb spring it will bleed off at 22lbs anything above that pressure, you should hear it when it does this. It's a gate, that wastes additional pressure..wastegate

A boost controller can electronically open a wastegate to relieve pressure or be used to control it's opening, thus pressure, as set by RPM, think progressive and programmable turbo in vague terms. For example you want 25lbs at 1000-3500 rpm, and you want it to ramp down from 25lbs to 15lbs between 3500-4000rpm. Thus you are making more boost / power when you need it, and gradually backing down as you reach RPM. Usually used more during acceleration of RPM so you "feather" in the boost. A N2O2 controller does this by progressively applying nitrous so you don't spin the tires at launch. You can set maximum MANAGEABLE power at launch and increase as speed / RPM increase so you maintain traction. Boost controller is different obviously but follows the same principal

:meh:

What? Huh?

@ericb1 Yeah thats completely wrong. A wastegate vents excess exhaust pressure past the turbine straight into the exhaust. This is what limits boost.

A diesel has no throttle plate so no pressure build up in the intake like a petrol. What you are referring to above is a BOV.

@SAM1HDT Try pulling the wastegate line off completely to eliminate the boost controller.

As per Ianb's post, you may need to add more fuel as boost builds but, I know nothing about your install so my knowledge here is limited. I do know that, no turbo I have bolted on (V8/V12 Jaguar/Suburu and other small 4 cylinder engines) has ever performed straight out of the box.

The waste gate's though were fitted/and adjusted at the factory to whatever spec you asked for, then use the boost control to 'trim' it to your system, fitting the intercooler alone can IME mess with pressures/fuel ratio even on a stock motor.

Sorry I cannot be of much more help.

regards

Dave

your in Perth, have you had Graeme tune it? have you tried turning the main fuel screw in ? if so and no difference the injection pump may be due for a new head and not supplying enough fuel to create higher boost.

@ericb1 A diesel has no throttle plate so no pressure build up in the intake like a petrol. What you are referring to above is a BOV.

On a non related note .. few Toy Diesel have throttle body plate / butterfly .. like 2H and old school B engine family ..

On a non related note .. few Toy Diesel have throttle body plate / butterfly .. like 2H and old school B engine family ..

True, aids in smoothing down the engine shutdown. But not on the 1HD-T, so not a factor here.

@SAM1HDT Try pulling the wastegate line off completely to eliminate the boost controller.

I have tried with the line from the front of the turbo to the waste gate disconnected, still won't get over 22...

your in Perth, have you had Graeme tune it?

I had a mate do a tune on it (very conservative, I would say) no smoke at all out of the exhaust, even at full throttle.
I might have to get in contact with Graeme again. Does anyone know of any other good diesel tuners in Perth? I have always used UFI in the past.

If you have a good conservative tune your going to have a bit of exhaust out the back at WOT. A conservative tune is going to be a little on the rich side to keep the EGT's down and keep from blowing holes in the tops of your pistons.... The dark exhaust is unburnt flue and yes while its wasted energy, its also means your not running too lean and there for not making WAY too much heat the leaner the mix (to a point) the better the performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom