OME stock height lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting on a camel 4x4 commercial bull bar on the front of my 97 LX450, and I got ahold of Cristos and ordered a OME stock height kit to handle the weight. I'd really like to lift it a little bit, but I didn't get the 2.5" since I still want my wife and kids to be able to get into the vehicle. I am contemplating getting a set of MAF trim packers to get about another 1" of lift - question is, should I install the lift only and see how it looks, riskng having to undo it and put in the packers if it isn't good enough, or should I put the packers in from the get go. I am running 265/75R16 Toyo M/T's on stock rims and don't plan on going any bigger.

Tom

With the OME stock height kit you still get a minor stink bug effect. With the added weight of the bumper it will probably be worse. The 1" trim packers would probably level it out, so I think I would add those at the same time as the springs. You might get an alignment afterward to ensure your caster is still in spec.

Tom,
Are you just adding front coils or are you doing front and back? If you just R&R the front coils for OME stock height coils, you may end up close to level.

Our truck has the 861/862 combination. I don't mind being a little higher in back around town. When loaded for a trip, it rides just about level.

And the new coils will settle a little, too. Give it a month and see how it sits if you're close to where you want to be.
2011RoadTrip2.jpg

put the trim packers in initially for sure if you think you will want them in the end. That bumper will stink bug your truck for sure.

Check my garage pictures for 2.5" Medium Kit with TJM bumper and resultant stink bug. I don't mind it because of the weight the truck carries from time to time evens out the suspension nicely and the handling does not change with the extra weight in the back.

Congrats on the upgrades!

Brian

Not sure how much your new bumper will weigh, although it appears to be similar to ARB, but I have the 861/862 spring setup with the 1" spring packers as well and the ride is almost level, maybe 3/4" high in back. No stink bug look.

Last edited:
Hmmm, all good stuff. I believe I will throw the spacers in while I have it apart and see how it goes. I am doing new springs on all 4 corners....Do you think I should go ahead and install caster correction bushings from Slee right now, or do the lift kit and have it checked by an alignment shop first?

Last edited:
Tom - I have the exact same question.

In my case, I have a stock height OME kit from Slee in now and and have a ARB non-winch bullbar. I have no stinkbug effect. My springs were the heavies in front and mediums in the rear. My truck sits just like yours in your photo. My truck drives and handles great, and can handle all my gear with no problem.

I'm thinking of now going with Slee spacers front and rear in order to pick up another inch of lift so I can go with 33" tires. If I were to do this, would I have to adjust castor ? I would rather not have to do that. Slee seemed to be on the fence about this, and I can understand why as it appears that in most experiences that castor correction typically becomes an issue at 2.5" of lift.

So, I would also like to know if anyone has run this type of stock height setup with front and rear spacers, and castor correction yes or no. How did your truck handle, and how durable was the setup over the short / long term?

I will appreciate any thoughts and experiences about this.

Kevin

I'm thinking of now going with Slee spacers front and rear in order to pick up another inch of lift so I can go with 33" tires. If I were to do this, would I have to adjust castor ?

33" tyres fit with factory springs--no need for lift.

If you search for "stock height caster" posts by "LandTank" you will find opinions regarding the necessity of OME yellow bushings with OME stock height springs and/or spacer lifts.

So I just completed this install, and ended up lifting the rig 2-1/8" in front and 2-3/8" in the rear. At what point does one need to consider installing sway bar mount drop brackets?

Thanks for all the replies to date....

Tom

PSFPilot - Thanks for the feedback - I'll do that.

Tom - Please let us now how your truck drives now, and whether you need to go with the castor correction.

Kevin

Every truck is a little different when it comes to ride height vs caster. It doesn't hurt to check caster, but if the truck steers straight and true without getting dodgy, you're probably good. I felt no need for that with my OME stock height coils.

Once you start adding spacers, you're more likely to edge toward territory where caster correction may be needed. However, some people run the 2.5" OME lift without caster correction, which is considerably higher than stock height with packers.

Also, no issues with the sway bar with the stock height coils that I've noticed or heard about. I haven't had a chance yet to really flex it, but I don't expect it to be an issue.

Our truck has the 861/862 combination. I don't mind being a little higher in back around town. When loaded for a trip, it rides just about level.

Which is exactly why the rear sits a little higher when unloaded (smellybug). Start with a level truck, then load it, and your front rises up, loosening up the the steering a bit.:steer:

PSFPilot - Thanks for the feedback - I'll do that.

Tom - Please let us now how your truck drives now, and whether you need to go with the castor correction.

Kevin

The truck turns much more rapidly at highway speeds now. The steering is now what I'd consider to be on the "squirrely" side. I talked with Slee and they are shipping up a set of castor bushings, which I intend to install. This lift w/spacers raised the vehicle 2-1/8" in the front and 2-3/8" in the rear.

Tom - how did you make out with the castor correction ? Let's see some photos.

Kevin

Here it is with the lift installed:

P1000140.jpg

I have ordered and received the castor correction bushings from Slee, but have yet to install them, and quite frankly, don't know if I will right at the moment. The steering is more responsive - i haven't felt the need to not drive it until I fix it.

That is a stock height kit with 1' spacers?

Looks good.

I was considering this same exact setup for my truck. Do you have the center of hub to bottom of flare measurements by any chance? My truck is right at 20" in the front and 21" at the rear with the stock suspension.

I was considering this same exact setup for my truck. Do you have the center of hub to bottom of flare measurements by any chance? My truck is right at 20" in the front and 21" at the rear with the stock suspension.

I don't right at the moment, but will measure tonight and post up the results.....

My 80 is now sitting at 21-1/8" in the front, and 21-1/2" in the rear, center of hub to edge of flare...I have 265/75R16 MT tires on it that measure about 30-1/2" diameter.

Tom - Thanks for the feedback - your truck looks great with that lift set up.

My 80 measures 20.75 in front and 21 in the rear with the OME stock height kit

1997_80.jpg
1997_80.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom