Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Threads
Hi, all. Just had my thread moved here from the 40 tech forum, as it seems more in line with the stock, preservation action I see here.

Here I go, jumping into the deep end with my first LC. Just made a deal today on a ‘64 FJ40. Way stock, remarkably straight, very solid. One family truck for 50 years, second owner never titled it so I will “officially” be the second owner. Been sitting for at least 5 years, and only driven around the family property for years before that. Last registered in 1991.

Notable - it has a factory Toyota PTO winch.

Gonna have lots of questions, I’m sure...

DA7F5ECA-8A42-4C8E-A66F-56CB9C1E8611.jpeg

84B05795-89AC-4307-B1F8-527E19C1E9BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Smooth top air cleaner, tin cup master and clutch slave, factory Pintle hook, and a solid rear sil!!! Please keep this 40 original!! Old confer rollbar. Do you have the original bows and doors? Or aftermarket?

I don’t plan to change anything, unless there’s no way to save it. It is way too original to mess up.

Yes to the bows and doors, or so I believe. No pictures of those yet.

Old confer roll bar
Please educate me. I was wondering about the roll bar. Period aftermarket?

Story is that the original owner was involved with the sheriff’s search & rescue back in the 60s, and he special ordered this 40 to get one with the winch. Shows 58k on the speedo, no reason to doubt it is correct. The pedal pads don’t even show excessive wear.

Original color looks to have been a pink-beige of some sort. Since there is no paint code on the data plate of old 40s like this, is there any reason I couldn’t paint it with a different original color offered in ‘64?

Last edited:
The only significant rust I found was where the floor meets the rockers, both sides. See pic.

B7489B15-B1B4-4A17-9F29-F62DFFF9D1E9.jpeg

I lied, questions can’t wait. What is the device circled?

855437A8-BD58-4643-A725-05DA80ABB939.jpeg

Some type of vacuum control? Not sure but it is not original. The roll bar Is period correct confer accessory.

Oh man. Saw this one posted on CL and would have loved to have it. Nice save! Glad it didn't get picked up for a V8 conversion!
I was in touch with the seller within 2 hours of his post on CL. Got lucky on it, I guess.

Thing is, I wasn’t particularly looking for an FJ or similar. Restoring/refreshing cool old vehicles is my retirement hobby. I’ve got broad tastes, I’ll restore most anything that has a decent following. I sold off the last project after it was finished in October, and so I’ve been looking for something that looks cool and that I won’t get in too far underwater since then. Saw the ad and knew right away this had potential.

Like I say, my interests are pretty broad. This 40 is way different than the last project...

CFC47D3F-4AB7-4496-805B-F1315301F35F.jpeg

Some type of vacuum control? Not sure but it is not original. The roll bar Is period correct confer accessory.
Good to know on both counts. The roll bar will stay, in that case. The vacuum thingie isn’t connected to anything now anyway, so it will go away.

Close, ‘73 2.0. It was a fun little car, nice project. Bought new in Oregon, now resides in Woodland Hills, CA. It was fun to do.

05EAFB50-5CB4-43DA-8F74-59977CB59B15.jpeg

While I buy, restore and then sell most of my projects, I also have my “keeper”.

749DF2A3-536C-448E-AA2E-D9BDA0FF8C12.jpeg

Good looking 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom