Old Truck for Old Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like the clutch problems started when you installed that spring. Maybe take it off, re-bleed and see what happens.
I did order a proper spring just in case...but it seemed fine with the older cylinder, was leaking since day one. Worth a test to remove sprint, maybe try other softer spring. Gravity bleed good enough?

I did order a proper spring just in case...but it seemed fine with the older cylinder, was leaking since day one. Worth a test to remove sprint, maybe try other softer spring. Gravity bleed good enough?
I only ever gravity bleed my slaves. Maybe your master is bad too. Seems like they never like to die alone. Check that hose too. If it’s getting soft, you could get a spongy pedal.

I'll say one last thing. If you start the truck in neutral and are able to push in the clutch and shift into reverse without double pumping, you have bled it good enough. When I changed out the old, leaky slave on my 60 last summer, the pedal feel was so much softer than before that it was like driving a completely different truck...to the point that I wondered if maybe I had not bled it well enough, or if I had gotten a bad slave right out of the box. Truck shifts fine though and pedal effort is like butter. Hopefully that is what you are experiencing, and not an actual problem.

I'll say one last thing. If you start the truck in neutral and are able to push in the clutch and shift into reverse without double pumping, you have bled it good enough. When I changed out the old, leaky slave on my 60 last summer, the pedal feel was so much softer than before that it was like driving a completely different truck...to the point that I wondered if maybe I had not bled it well enough, or if I had gotten a bad slave right out of the box. Truck shifts fine though and pedal effort is like butter. Hopefully that is what you are experiencing, and not an actual problem.
It was hard to get on first and reverse. Two pumps and no problem, but first one wont disengage the clutch enough to put it in gear. But, will verify again when I get out of conf call hell.
Also, I am sure i got air in the master as the reservoir did go dry at one point.

DONE. Finally after a plethora of never ending conference calls, got to play mechanic again. Had a long list of "what to dos" to try, so settled in for a long night. First try was to unmount the SC and remount with one bolt, but keeping the bleeder valve as high as possible by tilting the rod downwards. Then gravity bleed for about 10 min, keeping the reservoir full (about every 2 mins would be half full). Then close the bleeder, and remount the SC and the pedal was normal hard. Went for a 5 mile drive with plenty of clutch in/out, and pedal remained hard. So I am calling it done. THANK YOU ALL!

On the flip side, the passenger door window will no longer go down, and the hazard switch started working again. So maybe it’s all interconnected somehow

This was overdue, steering column cover. Old one was held just by tape
8F595754-3E31-4510-A342-2B379B3621BC.jpeg
4B0294DC-A229-4298-8D27-CF0CA39A2F71.jpeg

FOR SALE! Gently used fj40 steering cover. Custom made by artisans, this unique cover will bring you years of joy.

76342ACF-76CF-4F32-B9BB-3DA4B547B6DC.jpeg

That's some Ridler-worthy fabrecatering right there! J/K, you should see some of my fixes :)

Thanks to Cool Cruisers, got the outside window seals. had to cut them to length it they seem to fit fine, and now the cruiser is completely water tight...yeah....
To continue the beautification process, removed and cleaned the horn pad, then a couple of coats of VHT plastic die spray. Not sure how long it will last, but at least is not nasty brownish grayish.

Also changed the oil to 15w40 Delvac, will do another change in a couple months to get the thicker oil in. The cupholder bin is a Wallyworld special, that has been bespoke to fit in the hump and not interfere with levers. Havent tried it yet, but has 1" heavy rubber base to, hopefully, keep it in place at least on the road. A roll of duct tape stuck to the vinyl carpet was working fine, by the way, but not boojie enough.

58E4D963-0138-4D15-B5EC-BDB2B9F94832.jpeg
44754EA9-FD54-4730-B561-F2ED68B82D4D.jpeg

Mileage experiment continues with this bag of bolts, so far 188 miles (mixed driving) on a full tank of gas. The needle has been on E for the last 88. Using a digital odometer since the one on the truck only works with the 1/10 Km. If the tank is 22 gal, should at least be 200 miles. Will get there this week with errands, the fill up. 5Gal jerry can ready in case of "oh sheeeet, no fuel". An old racing instructor told me once "you never run out of gas on a race, you have 'fuel pressure problems', but never say out of gas".

Mileage experiment continues with this bag of bolts, so far 188 miles (mixed driving) on a full tank of gas. The needle has been on E for the last 88. Using a digital odometer since the one on the truck only works with the 1/10 Km. If the tank is 22 gal, should at least be 200 miles. Will get there this week with errands, the fill up. 5Gal jerry can ready in case of "oh sheeeet, no fuel". An old racing instructor told me once "you never run out of gas on a race, you have 'fuel pressure problems', but never say out of gas".

That's similar to something a Captain told me while at ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft. Bragg: "you are never lost, cadet Taylor, you are just temporarily misoriented".

Great work on getting this vehicle back to top working order Izzy!

Finally got the right clutch dust boot part and installed. While doing that decided to remove the cover under the clutch to see what is rattling in there....and here it is. One more thing to fix.

Finally got the right clutch dust boot part and installed. While doing that decided to remove the cover under the clutch to see what is rattling in there....and here it is. One more thing to fix.

Ouch!

Last edited:
I like the first version better! Yeah, lots of strange sounds, and will keep a list of bigger items to do hopefully when works eases up a bit. For now....living with the rattle, just go faster and I can't hear it, and I love driving the thing. Eventually, will be like chasing the same "weird sounds" for 7 years that my 80 makes. Redheadedstepchild knows about some of those (remember the "trumpet"?), still there.

And it may be psychosomatic, but I "feel" the truck drives better with the 15w/40 Delvac oil. Also vented the front diff, the cap that was there was smashed so replaced it with a plastic barbed fitting I had laying around, hose and filter all the way up by the brake booster. The new fuel filter reduced the gas hesitation quite a bit too.

After trying different springs configurations on the fork, I came across a tread on 5 speed fj60's, apparently from 5/85 forward the forks had no spring to slave cylinder. That could explain why it works better without the spring, since I do not know what year the transmission is from could be it.

I like the first version better! Yeah, lots of strange sounds, and will keep a list of bigger items to do hopefully when works eases up a bit. For now....living with the rattle, just go faster and I can't hear it, and I love driving the thing. Eventually, will be like chasing the same "weird sounds" for 7 years that my 80 makes. Redheadedstepchild knows about some of those (remember the "trumpet"?), still there.

And it may be psychosomatic, but I "feel" the truck drives better with the 15w/40 Delvac oil. Also vented the front diff, the cap that was there was smashed so replaced it with a plastic barbed fitting I had laying around, hose and filter all the way up by the brake booster. The new fuel filter reduced the gas hesitation quite a bit too.

After trying different springs configurations on the fork, I came across a tread on 5 speed fj60's, apparently from 5/85 forward the forks had no spring to slave cylinder. That could explain why it works better without the spring, since I do not know what year the transmission is from could be it.
I looked back at my earlier post and decided I sounded like a Debbie Downer, so I deleted the part about pulling the transmission, replacing the clutch and throw out bearing, rear main seal and rebuilding the transfer case. Hence the "Ouch!" Drive it. Hopefully the rattle continues to rattle for a long time!

I looked back at my earlier post and decided I sounded like a Debbie Downer, so I deleted the part about pulling the transmission, replacing the clutch and throw out bearing, rear main seal and rebuilding the transfer case. Hence the "Ouch!" Drive it. Hopefully the rattle continues to rattle for a long time!
Never, you are a realist and I need to hear it. Besides, all that bumbling and fumbling of heavy oily dirty components will likely happen in your garage, right:rofl:?

Just replacre it with the 2-piece TO Bearing so you don't have to drop the tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom