Builds OKADVENTURES GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I joined the GXOR family . I picked up my 2008 Lexus GX470 in Dallas, TX and brought it back home to Oklahoma City, OK.

Details of the rig:
-130,000 miles
-TB/WP, Front Brakes, Radiator, and Alternator were all replaced within the past 5K miles. (Update: TB/WP done incorrectly, had to have it redone 10/28/2021!)
-lifetime Texas vehicle, so no rust at all.
-No wrecks
- Airbags work perfect

Got it home and already did the first mod: running boards removed. Hopefully much more work to be done in the coming months/years.

Follow the build on YouTube and Facebook:
OK Adventures on YouTube
OKADVENTURESGX on Facebook

Day of purchase:

3.jpg

Modifications/Upgrades:
  • Running boards removed
  • Weathertech Floormats post
  • Maxi Trac Vehicle Awning (NAPA) post , video
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R17 tires post , video
  • Rocktrix RT116 Wheels 17” X 9” with -12mm offset post , video
  • Teyes CC3 head unit with front facing dash camera post 1 , video 1 , post 2 , video 2
  • Front cup holder replacement post , video
  • Bison Gear under seat accessory bracket post , video
  • Bison Gear rear window molle panels (REMOVED) post , video
  • Bison Gear ceiling shelf post , video
  • Bison Gear rear door molle net replacement post , video
  • Bison Gear rear door fold down table post , video
  • Garage Alpha TRD Grill with raptor lights post
  • Unique Style Racing Tail Lights post , video
  • Malone Profile 18B rooftop cargo box post , video
  • Auxbeam Switch Panel post , video
  • JW Offroad Ditch Light Brackets
  • Roadshock LED Ditch Lights
  • Garage Alpha TRD Grill post , video
  • Desert Does It Seat Jackers & MMP post , video
  • Roadshock Ditch Lights & JW Offroad Ditch Light Brackets post , video
  • Ellis Precision Shift Knob Set post , video
  • Unique Style Racing Black Headlights post , video
  • GX Basecamp Crossbars (Qty 4)
As she sits now:

37BEC9EE-60A2-4838-A104-9A7DFFBCB6FC.jpeg

3C7CD4DA-6142-4ECF-BBF8-A89ADE693768.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you buy it at United auto group in Dallas?

man your rig is clean! theres a little company i think its called blue dog designwerks who makes 3d printed inserts to cover up where you took the running boards off. really neat stuff.

After doing some research I think I have a small exhaust manifold leak. Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. It isn't really bad and goes away once the engine is warmed up so I might just live with it for a little while.

I like the idea of doing the Doug Thorley headers. I am not mechanically inclined enough to feel comfortable doing that job so I need to find out how much a shop would charge for it.
I have that leak. It drives me nuts when I have the windows down. I also have a 2008 that I picked up a year ago. It's such a great car, you're gonna love it! I also recently (finally) took of my running boards and bought the Blue Dog Designworks Molding and they look great. I've got an OME 2.5" lift up front and running 285/75/17.

C60012B7-8AC5-468D-9210-05475C6769B0-25106-00000BD530789C27.jpeg

26F0A31C-A394-435C-8F30-5D3B44E2EE78-53224-00001911DA40B396.jpeg

I have that leak. It drives me nuts when I have the windows down. I also have a 2008 that I picked up a year ago. It's such a great car, you're gonna love it! I also recently (finally) took of my running boards and bought the Blue Dog Designworks Molding and they look great. I've got an OME 2.5" lift up front and running 285/75/17.

View attachment 2793311

View attachment 2793324
Really clean looking rig. A lift is definitely in my future. Did you do anything to the rear suspension?

Last edited:
After doing some research I think I have a small exhaust manifold leak. Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. It isn't really bad and goes away once the engine is warmed up so I might just live with it for a little while.

I like the idea of doing the Doug Thorley headers. I am not mechanically inclined enough to feel comfortable doing that job so I need to find out how much a shop would charge for it.
It's a difficult job. If you live in an emissions area, you'll need short tube headers to retain the existing cats. If you don't have emissions you can put in long tubes (much easier to install but it removes the front cats). I did it as a DIY and it was a horrible job and took me 3 days. I've been wrenching for over 20 years too. I would plan on at least $1K for a shop to complete the job, maybe closer to $1500-2000, and I wouldn't trust it to any shop (ideally one with experience working on Toyota V8s). The headers alone are around $800-900.

However, they are a great upgrade. The power difference is immediate, and the annoying tick is done. I could not believe how much faster my GX was with the headers. If the leak is not bad now I would save up for headers and do it in the next couple of years. DT is also backordered on everything so headers might not even be available for another 6+ months.

Super clean GX BTW! Great purchase!

It's a difficult job. If you live in an emissions area, you'll need short tube headers to retain the existing cats. If you don't have emissions you can put in long tubes (much easier to install but it removes the front cats). I did it as a DIY and it was a horrible job and took me 3 days. I've been wrenching for over 20 years too. I would plan on at least $1K for a shop to complete the job, maybe closer to $1500-2000, and I wouldn't trust it to any shop (ideally one with experience working on Toyota V8s). The headers alone are around $800-900.

However, they are a great upgrade. The power difference is immediate, and the annoying tick is done. I could not believe how much faster my GX was with the headers. If the leak is not bad now I would save up for headers and do it in the next couple of years. DT is also backordered on everything so headers might not even be available for another 6+ months.

Super clean GX BTW! Great purchase!
Yeah I read through your experience installing the DT’s. That’s what made me so sure I would not be attempting it myself, but I love the idea of the power gain.

Oklahoma doesn’t require emissions inspections so I could do the long and get rid of the cats.

Just ordered the NAPA vehicle awning for $94. We will see what all the hype is about!

NAPA Awning

Similar, but a bit more expensive one on Amazon if the NAPA one is out of stock: Vehicle Awning

I also replaced the gas cap just as a preventative measure against the check engine light that many people get from a bad gas cap.

Replacement Gas Cap

Last edited:
Just ordered the NAPA vehicle awning for $94. We will see what all the hype is about!
let us know, im super tempted by it

I used Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on my fairly weathered drivers seat. It didn’t make a big difference visually, but helped quite a bit with the severely cracked spots. My clothes don’t catch on those spots anymore and the leather overall is softer.

Left is before and right is after.

Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

783CBE7F-D394-4542-A41C-CD76CF492917.jpeg

4CA5CDA3-A72A-4969-8158-6D6ECB06466E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom