OK to wash engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
A note for yall true offroaders:
Just cleaned my engine (no not a TLC yet) - Simple Green cleaner and water rinse. No problem with liberally spraying everything with water.
Can this be done with a TLC too? (would hope so, given the nature of the beast...)
Anything to watch out for, like putting baggies around various electrical parts, or blowing some stuff dry?
thx
E

I usually cover up the batt, alt, and dist and try not to hit the hood insulator blanket.

E,

>> No problem with liberally spraying everything with water. <<

Any engine that is liberally sprayed with high pressure water will be susceptible to problems. You were lucky. Sometimes, as others can attest, you won't be so luck.... TLC or not.

Cover sensitive stuff like Eric said, but remember that washing with pressure is a crap shoot.
-B-

nope, no pressure washing, just gently off a hose
E

I do pressure wash mine carefully. Something I learned was to have the engine warmed up and running while I do it. That way if some water gets in where it shouldn't the engine is running and warm and will evaporate the water quickly. Just don't shove your wand in the fan or belts.
Bill

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=6447;start=msg52150#msg52150 date=1066432726]
Just don't shove your wand in the fan or belts.
Bill
[/quote]

Great advice in any situation! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Photoman - has a good point by running the engine to burn off water.

BTW. you should never shove your wand in anything that could cause damage :D

Chris

Can't remember if it was this board or LC Trader's but there was a thread that made a very convincing case that Simple Green actually promotes rust. Referenced military testing and alot of people who had that experience. I still use it, just not on anything metal!

Dan

thank you
interesting reading.
Not sure I am convinced, however, that the simple green actually promoted rust. And if it would in dried up form, that should effectively be greatly reduced by rinsing it off with the powerful solvent sometimes known as Dihydrogen oxide <G> that you and I use all the time.
OTOH, I am more than willing to believe that by degreasing the metal, rust would much more readily form than with an oily coating...
E

e9999 is dead on. That dihydrogen oxide stuff is awesome for getting excess simple green off your engine. I use it all the time.
:beer: ;)
CJ

When I first bought the truck, I had it professionally detailed (very expensive :eek:) - truck looked great. That included an engine wash (steam clean?) - so how do these guys do it?

Cheers, Hugh

Isn't it technically dihydrogen monoxide?

;)

well, I wasn't sure myself, so in the interest of the excruciating exactness that is so characteristic of this forum, I asked a professor of Chemistry whom I know. And so I am willing to trust her. But then you know these academics...
<G>
Any prof on the forum?
Eric

Dunno about profs, there is a parts geek though :rolleyes:

LOL i'm actually studying Chemistry this year. Honors I might add.. :D
Lemme go check and I'll brb. I should know this off the top of my head, but I'm not your typical honors student...

EDIT:My intuitions were correct, it is Dihydrogen Monoxide, the reason being that this is a non-ionically bonded compound, constructed of two nonmetals, necessitating using "dual" prefixes because otherwise there would be no way to know how many atoms of each element were in a single molecule, unlike a "normal" ionically bonded molecule. This is commonly known as type 3 nomenclature.
Hows that? Got any other molecules that need naming? Equations that need balancing? Howabout predicting the products of reactions in aqueous solutions?
:D :cheers:

well, what about the chemistry of Simple Green et al. ?
E

uh?
dried dihydrogen monoxide? what would that be?
(maybe this is all too OT anyways, better quit while ahead?)
E

Hey Bailey, figure out a compound to add to simple green to create black rust (I will let you discover this cool compound on your own)....

I actually have a ceramic catalyst that does just that but it isn't applicable to washing cruiser engines :D

OOOOOHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAA
I should fail.
Reading my last post I realized that THATS WATER!!!!!! :doh:
I thought that you meant eh active ingrideint in SG was some hydrogen-oxygen compound, and didn't realize that it was water until I looked at it written in chemical form,
damn I am a dumb**** and should be shot. :-[
:whoops: :slap: :-[ :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom