OK to wash engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hmmm....
well, that's an interesting idea! I wonder if that would have more impact on my students than the occasional F ? (j/k)

E

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=6447;start=msg52137#msg52137 date=1066429678]
..try not to hit the hood insulator blanket.
[/quote]

Why not? I pressure washed my blanket and all sorts of grease and crap was washed out. On my FJ62 the blanket is very open cell foam type stuff, very tough, water drains right back out. Is the 80 series blanket different?

Sean

Here is a pic of a 97 hood side. It seems like the blanket is a three ply affair. The reflective hood side in the pic is to keep heat in (that's a joke, or is it?), then there a layer of fiberglass looking stuff, then the black underside.
Bill

Engines should not be cleaned. :flipoff2:
Enginebeforeclean.jpg
Enginebeforecleanvert.jpg

I can tell you from my experience that an engine wash can cause problems. On the top of your engine that plastic cover that you need to remove to get at your spark plugs. When I washed my engine I tried to be careful of how much water got in that area, apparently it doesn't take much. The engine was NOT warm at the time and it could have helped, but then I have also heard of people cracking their engine block or head if it is too warm? After the wash it was fine when I drove it in hte garage, the next day after driving to my bus stop 2 miles away. It sat there all day and when I got off work it startedup, but was missing terribly. Check engine light came on. After I got home I started pulling plugs and found that three of them (Bosch plugs) had cracked the porcelian, causing spark everywhere but where it was suppose to. Water had gotten down in there. So, wash at your own risk, but be warned......

Yomama

As ridiculous and unconventional as it sounds, I have been known to raise the hood before running through one of those 'brushless' car washes.......
.......I prefer the 'no wax' cycle.

I've always just used a hose and degreaser as well with pretty good results. Engine cold and off and do not even do as much as turn to the ACC position until the next day or several hours later if necessary. That way if anything does get a little damp it has time to evap off. Forcing water (pressurized) places isn't for me. I also go back and add lubricants to hoses etc.. so they don't get too dry from being degreased.

[quote author=tabraha link=board=2;threadid=6447;start=msg52966#msg52966 date=1066682815]
add lubricants to hoses etc.. so they don't get too dry from being degreased.
[/quote]

Wait til Junk sees this :D

Now, back to business - when you use the hose, do you just use the water flowing our, or do you use some form of spay device (but not a pressure washer)?

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=6447;start=msg52652#msg52652 date=1066613381]
Here is a pic of a 97 hood side. It seems like the blanket is a three ply affair. The reflective hood side in the pic is to keep heat in (that's a joke, or is it?), then there a layer of fiberglass looking stuff, then the black underside.
Bill
[/quote]

My FJ62 blanket doesn't have the reflective layer. Underside is black, plastic-like, but very porous, and the hood side is soft and fibrous-feeling. It's much cleaner than it used to be, now that I've pressure washed it. :D

>> Engines should not be cleaned. <<

Consider the source guys, consider the source.
If that engine belonged to me I think I'd have to shoot myself. :D

-B-

Yomama,
I have also heard of people cracking their engine block or head if it is too warm?
That's one of the reasons I always try to run the engine while carefully spraying. It's sort of like trying to desoder a copper water pipe fitting with a torch with water flowing through it. Very, very hard to do. Same deal with an overheated engine. I always get it running first before adding water - then add a little -then a little more. If you just dump cold water in a hot engine that's not running there may be an unpleasant cracking sound. Been down that road.
Bill

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6447;start=msg53024#msg53024 date=1066690406]
>> Engines should not be cleaned. <<
Consider the source guys, consider the source.
If that engine belonged to me I think I'd have to shoot myself. :D
-B-[/quote]
Hey no need to clean them when they are disposable :flipoff2: :D Kind of like your depends. :slap: :p :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom