OK, so how does one tweak torsion bars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I still can't quite picture how one goes about adjusting the torsion bars on a 100 to lift the front. Seems that these things are just straight rods with splines at the end from what I saw. I can vaguely imagine that when the wheel goes up, the front arms somehow twist this thing. That right? So what do you do exactly to lift up the front then? Do you have to twist these things by hand or is there some sort of attachment on the front arms that is adustable and that has to be twisted? Or do I have this completely wrong? Any drawing or photos anywhere?
thx
Eric

By twisting it more it twist the lower control arm down too.
You need 30 mm socket and long breaker bar to make it easier to turn. Don't forget to jack the whole front end up also to reduce the tension on the bar.

is it something like you open up a sleeve attached to the arm, twist the bar one way, hang on, retighten the sleeve and let go? (wildly guessing now)
can one actually significantly twist/rotate a thick rod of steel by hand like that? wow!
Eric

Someone like Shed Guy may chime in here, but I believe ARB is finally starting to ship new torsion bars. I don't have a 100, so didn't pay attention. He doesn't either, but his mind is filled with useless info :flipoff2:

Otherwise, call ARBusa and see if they know anything about it.

well, thought I seen some on Christo's site. Or was it SOR? Well, somewhere with a kit.
Eric

I'm not sure about the Land Cruiser, but on my old isuzu trooper there was a huge bolt attached to the torsion bar (rear, where it's mounted to the frame). I just jacked the front of the truck up to take the load off the torsion bars, then used a breaker bar and turned the bolts. It raised the front end about an inch. That's not the best way to achieve a lift though, it makes your tires wear funny, and still doesn't give you any more travel.

Last edited:
e9999 caught red handed NOT using the SEARCH function! :eek:

spressomon said:
e9999 caught red handed NOT using the SEARCH function! :eek:

I was young then... :D

Eric,

Augie is right - raise the front end to unload the torsion bars. You might want to measure first to get a point of reference on high you are going up. I think the consensus is not to go higher than 2.5 or 2.75 inches.

ARB has had torsion bars since last year.

I did a huge write up, but when I submitted it it said I wasn't logged in and it disappeared, don't think I want to do it again!

100 TD said:
I did a huge write up, but when I submitted it it said I wasn't logged in and it disappeared, don't think I want to do it again!

Please:crybaby: do it again... does anyone have photos of the bolt that needs to be loosened? And the rest of the proccess?

100 TD said:

Errghh... yeah than can be frustating.:frown: To avoid stuff like this, you can type it word and then cut and paste into the thread.
Yeah, a detailed write up would be extremely helpful.

I did mine about 2 weeks ago. Very simple:

- Jack the front end up so the front suspension is fully unloaded. If you don't do this, you are puuting additional stress on the torsion bars and adjustment bolt.

- Follow the torsion bars towards the rear of the truck. You will see a large bolt head (20 or 22mm IIRC) This is the bolt that will get tightened CW to raise truck, CCW to lower truck.

It is a simple bolt connected to a threaded nut welded to a plate that mounts to the spline of the torsion bar. As the Screw is turned, the nut slides up and down which in turn rotates the torsion bar.

- You will want to measure (count) the degrees in which you rotate the bolt head. 1 full turn = 360 degrees. I think I rotated about 8 full revolotions for approx 1.5" lift. Don't quote me on this. Just rotate 3-5 rotations per side, drop the vehicle back down and measure height.

wngrog said:
Tell me about that. I just ordered some ARB torsion bars from Slee. Is it a bitch?

Only if your 100/470 spent it's early days in the rust belt. Gee how do ya suppose I know this :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom