1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, so how does one tweak torsion bars?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by e9999, Dec 20, 2003.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

I still can't quite picture how one goes about adjusting the torsion bars on a 100 to lift the front. Seems that these things are just straight rods with splines at the end from what I saw. I can vaguely imagine that when the wheel goes up, the front arms somehow twist this thing. That right? So what do you do exactly to lift up the front then? Do you have to twist these things by hand or is there some sort of attachment on the front arms that is adustable and that has to be twisted? Or do I have this completely wrong? Any drawing or photos anywhere?
    thx
    Eric

2. Augie

Augie

By twisting it more it twist the lower control arm down too.
    You need 30 mm socket and long breaker bar to make it easier to turn. Don't forget to jack the whole front end up also to reduce the tension on the bar.

3. e9999

is it something like you open up a sleeve attached to the arm, twist the bar one way, hang on, retighten the sleeve and let go? (wildly guessing now)
    can one actually significantly twist/rotate a thick rod of steel by hand like that? wow!
    Eric

4. Junk

Junk

Someone like Shed Guy may chime in here, but I believe ARB is finally starting to ship new torsion bars. I don't have a 100, so didn't pay attention. He doesn't either, but his mind is filled with useless info :flipoff2:

Otherwise, call ARBusa and see if they know anything about it.

5. e9999

well, thought I seen some on Christo's site. Or was it SOR? Well, somewhere with a kit.
    Eric

6. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I'm not sure about the Land Cruiser, but on my old isuzu trooper there was a huge bolt attached to the torsion bar (rear, where it's mounted to the frame). I just jacked the front of the truck up to take the load off the torsion bars, then used a breaker bar and turned the bolts. It raised the front end about an inch. That's not the best way to achieve a lift though, it makes your tires wear funny, and still doesn't give you any more travel.

7. CTapia

CTapia

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  8. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    e9999 caught red handed NOT using the SEARCH function! :eek:

9. e9999

I was young then... :D

10. i4c4lo

i4c4lo

Eric,

Augie is right - raise the front end to unload the torsion bars. You might want to measure first to get a point of reference on high you are going up. I think the consensus is not to go higher than 2.5 or 2.75 inches.

ARB has had torsion bars since last year.

11. 100 TD

100 TD

I did a huge write up, but when I submitted it it said I wasn't logged in and it disappeared, don't think I want to do it again!

12. subspd

subspd

Please:crybaby: do it again... does anyone have photos of the bolt that needs to be loosened? And the rest of the proccess?

13. CTapia

CTapia

Errghh... yeah than can be frustating.:frown: To avoid stuff like this, you can type it word and then cut and paste into the thread.
    Yeah, a detailed write up would be extremely helpful.

14. rockclmbr

rockclmbr

I did mine about 2 weeks ago. Very simple:

- Jack the front end up so the front suspension is fully unloaded. If you don't do this, you are puuting additional stress on the torsion bars and adjustment bolt.

- Follow the torsion bars towards the rear of the truck. You will see a large bolt head (20 or 22mm IIRC) This is the bolt that will get tightened CW to raise truck, CCW to lower truck.

It is a simple bolt connected to a threaded nut welded to a plate that mounts to the spline of the torsion bar. As the Screw is turned, the nut slides up and down which in turn rotates the torsion bar.

- You will want to measure (count) the degrees in which you rotate the bolt head. 1 full turn = 360 degrees. I think I rotated about 8 full revolotions for approx 1.5" lift. Don't quote me on this. Just rotate 3-5 rotations per side, drop the vehicle back down and measure height.

15. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    How about replacing torsion bars!! I bet that is fun? Wait...it isn't!

16. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

Tell me about that. I just ordered some ARB torsion bars from Slee. Is it a bitch?

17. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

18. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

Only if your 100/470 spent it's early days in the rust belt. Gee how do ya suppose I know this :crybaby:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">