Oil Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverGiveUpYota

Dare me.
Threads
Anyone ever have an oil pump pass the diagnosic test in the 2F Engine book section 4--6, fig 4-13?
"Immerse pump suction end into clean engine oil and turn the pump shaft clockwise with a screwdriver until oil comes out the discharge hole."
I have my stock pump and a pump someone gave me cheap. Neither discharge oil from the hole. I'm a tad perplexed. Want to be sure I am actually doing it correct per the book, seems strange neither pass.

I'll add that neither gear pass the feeler gauge tests on my stock pump and visually I can see the used pump I have is just as snug gear edge to housing as mine. Quite sure, 99%, I am using the correct feelers but the gaps are too tight not too loose. Both are Aisin/teq marked. Anyone know if those are different gauges from what you'd use for adjusting valves? @Onur, @Cruiserdrew??

Last edited:
I’ve not done it with a Toyota pump, but I’d be surprised if a screw driver would do it. Try putting a drill on it.

Book says and shows hand holding screwdriver. Are Mr. T workers Superman in disguise?

I don’t waste time on 30+ year old parts. My time is more valuable. Get a new one and move on.
K, thank you. I put a feeler out to @ToyotaMatt and looked at Rogers site. Will wait for Matt first to respond.

2F or 3FE?

1590385211373.png

All AISIN or OEM Toyota offerings: Cruiser Outfitters

I’ve not done it with a Toyota pump, but I’d be surprised if a screw driver would do it. Try putting a drill on it.
So to remove any uncertainty I put a drill to both just now and each start puking within a few seconds. I would really like someone now to respond to the question of whether the feeler gauges are the same as what we'd use for the valves? If so, mine are tight and I'll just run it.

All that work, and you're going to re-use an old oil pump?? Just askin'... :confused:

Absolutely a new OEM oil pump with the rebuild. They've gone up in price but still cheap insurance.

So to remove any uncertainty I put a drill to both just now and each start puking within a few seconds. I would really like someone now to respond to the question of whether the feeler gauges are the same as what we'd use for the valves? If so, mine are tight and I'll just run it.
It's the same type of feeler gauges

I reused the oil pump when I built my first 2FE :meh: Opened it up, flipped the gear dodads, smoothed the aluminum base against some fine sand paper on a sheet of glass.

The engine never blew up, and to my knowledge no bus loaded with nuns or school children was run off the road as a result.

4 out of 5 dentists will recommend a new pump, if you are a 1 in 5 type, you're not alone.

Hey Kurt, I apologize for not thinking of you! Thanks. Its a 2F, 61011. I'll call you today.

No worries, I just verified we have 10+ ready to go. We can definitely ship today!

Put a new pump in. While it is great to see these are working, and they would be fine then to throw on a shelf as a spare. You hard earned cash is not worth the constant wonder if that oil pump was ok.
There are some that do not worry about it. A budget built I would care less like on a 350. I have used a low mileage oil pump and it was fine, but then I rebuilt that thing cheap and it was going into a total beater so I did not care if it exploded (which it did not).
That said I always wondered when it would fail.

Put a new pump in. While it is great to see these are working, and they would be fine then to throw on a shelf as a spare. You hard earned cash is not worth the constant wonder if that oil pump was ok.
There are some that do not worry about it. A budget built I would care less like on a 350. I have used a low mileage oil pump and it was fine, but then I rebuilt that thing cheap and it was going into a total beater so I did not care if it exploded (which it did not).
That said I always wondered when it would fail.

The oil pump is two big gears. They don’t fail.

I think F motors are largely splash lube anyway. Like a Briggs. The upper valve train doesn't seem to care much about oil.

edit: forgot its still 2 gears.

In another auto world I play in where the oil pump is two gears that meshes with a specific housing design we pack the housing with Vaseline during engine reassembly. This primes the pump for start up and the Vaseline dissolves in the oil...we change the oil pretty quickly after running the reassembled engine anyway.

1590605993389.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom