Oil pan replacement issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GregRay

Old Member
Threads
First post in a long time . . . 1974 FJ40 with original "1.5F" engine.

Finally decided to replacing the original oil pan (which had a very slow drip from the drain hole threads for years). After struggling for two or three days getting the old pan off and carefully scraping the remnants of the old gasket off, I thought I had gotten through the hard part. Well, I was wrong.

The bolt holes on the new pan won't line up with the holes in the engine block. They are off by about 1/8". I have a new Toyota oil pan (Part 12101-61013 and OEM gasket). The pan needs to go back (towards the back of the vehicle) another 1/8" or so, but just won't. After laying on my back under the truck for an hour or so, I had to give up for now.

Did a search and didn't come across this problem in any of the the oil pan threads. If anyone has a suggestion about what is causing this issue and how to fix it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Maybe pry and jiggle with a drift pin or something similar like and awl or a Phillips screwdriver. It may be just hung up on the gasket. Did you try it without the gasket? Or is it already gooked up with sealant? If the holes are truly misaligned, Can you return or exchange that pan. Where did the new one come from?

If you’re committed to using that pan, you could elongate the holes either by filing with a rat tail or die grinder in the appropriate direction. Or maybe drill all holes a little larger. Myself, I’d like to return that pan.

Re-reading your post carefully (like I should of first) I don't know why I was thinking you had some of the bolts in but others wouldn't go.
Maybe a few extra long bolts would let you get it hanging under there and then pushing it up you could see the interference.

I'm wondering if there's a difference in the new oilpan and the '74 oilpan... like in the oil baffles interfering with the oil pickup
Also wondering why you couldn't repair the threads on the original oilpan, which is made of thicker steel and, therefore, superior

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there's a difference in the new oilpan and the '74 oilpan... like in the oil baffles interfering with the oil pickup
Also wondering why you couldn't repair the threads on the original oilpan, which is made of thicker steel and, therefore, superior

I agree if the drain plug hole threads still tighten the plug and a factory washer along Teflon tape that doesn't extend pass the threads should solve the leak. Would just be sure the flat on the pan and plug where the two meet are smooth.

FWIW: If it's only a slow drip from the drain hole threads, this could be remedied by using Loctite 567 on them. I run a thin bead around all my 40's drain plugs.

I believe Pighead is correct. I think I remember seeing somewhere that the F/F.5 Oil Pump interfered with the new Oil Pan baffle. Some slight adjusting was needed. Clearancing the baffle where the oil pump comes down.

FWIW: If it's only a slow drip from the drain hole threads, this could be remedied by using Loctite 567 on them. I run a thin bead around all my 40's drain plugs.
I cured my seeping drain plug with a bonded rubber sealing washer from Rocket seal.com they’re located in Denver. I believe I used the larger one pictured.
01E82E2A-8E37-47B4-9EA9-7C5136658808.jpeg

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

(1) Re-using the old, leaking pan isn't an option. I had tried sealing the leaking threads many times. It was beyond repair and has departed with the trash.
(2) I don't know what is keeping the new pan from aligning correctly. I did inspect the lip on the back side to see if there is a manufacturing defect (since it only needs to go back about 1/8" to align), but it looks okay. I suppose it could be a defective oil pan, but at around $200, I really don't want to buy another one on the off chance that is the problem. And, since I bought it about two years ago, I really can't exchange it now.
(3) I haven't removed the inspection cover off the bellhousing - that could be the issue. Will try that next and see if I can get it to to move back enough.

There are differences in oil pans. I had to cut material to make one fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom