Oil pan arch seal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shouldn't you be holding a baby or something cleaner than a dirty old oil pan?

You need a cleaner hobby dude.

lowtops said:
Would it be feasible to just drop the front axle to remove the pan instead of unbolting the motor mounts? I plan on installing a lift in the near future and this would be a perfect way to kill two birds with one stone.

From my understanding (both from what others have said and after visual inspection) the problem is that the bar that braces the panhard mount is in the way which is why the engine needs to tilted up. This bar is welded to the frame and as such isn't going anywhere.

Sorry, I was unavailable yesterday for your questions! This baby thing sure is time consuming :D

On to answer some questions that may not have been answered:

Rookie2
>What's that hoist setup.. is that steel beam in your garage?

Yes, that's an I beam in my garage. Mighty helpful for doing this type of work!

Darwood
> From my understanding (both from what others have said and after visual inspection) the problem is that the bar that braces the panhard mount is in the way which is why the engine needs to tilted up. This bar is welded to the frame and as such isn't going anywhere..

I know others have chimed in on this particular point but here's a picture detailing the problem child, aka the BAR! This *&^(^% bar doesn't move with the front suspension. Simply raising the engine as far as it'll go is enough to give you enough clearance to work the oil pan #1 (large oil pan) out. You DON'T have to drop the front suspension if you don't want to. Also, this is dependent on your lift/tire size.

> Would it be feasible to just drop the front axle to remove the pan instead of unbolting the motor mounts? I plan on installing a lift in the near future and this would be a perfect way to kill two birds with one stone.

As others have stated, no it's not that easy! However, having a 3" lift wtih 35" tires did give me some wiggle room under the vehicle. Still, I placed both front tires on a stack of 4x4 and 2x4 pieces of wood to allow more room to maneuver myself under there. Depending on your lift and tires, you may opt to drive up on a set of ramps before starting the tear down process. If I did that, I would have to reach very high to access the engine and that makes for a tired upper body.

Riad
>Is it a RTV type material or a gasket?
check out the picture! As they say, it's worth a thousand words.

Doc
>Shouldn't you be holding a baby or something cleaner than a dirty old oil pan?

Can't wait for warmer weather to arrive so that the Pack and Play can be in the garage and I don't have to keep running into the house to take care of the baby! I'll have a complete toxic diaper disposal and changing station in there! :D

Cheers,

Ali
oil pan bar.JPG
FIPG.jpg

Thanks Ali. I got it. I wonder if my local dealer has this FIPG. I guess I have to call Dan if they don't.

EDIT: Just called the dealer and they have it. Man I guess I got lucky this time. They usually don't have %#&*. I guess I'm gonna pick it up tonight and start thinking about dping this next weekend.

Riad,

PM me if you have any issues/problems with this project. Plan on a long day! You'll need an inch-lb torque wrench for the smaller 8mm bolts. My old FIPG didn't want to release so I used a ratcheting strap to put constant tension on the oil pan while I worked it loose.

Good luck.

Ali

alia176 said:
Rookie2
>What's that hoist setup.. is that steel beam in your garage?

Yes, that's an I beam in my garage. Mighty helpful for doing this type of work!

Nice! It's hard to tell how you've got it supported. Is it bearing on masonry walls each end, or are you somehow hanging it from the floor or roof system above?

:beer:
Rookie2

alia176, Darwood,
Thanks for the information. I knew there had something that would keep me from taking the easy way out. Looking under the truck I never noticed that bar was welded to the frame.

Rookie2 said:
Nice! It's hard to tell how you've got it supported. Is it bearing on masonry walls each end, or are you somehow hanging it from the floor or roof system above?

:beer:
Rookie2

If you follow the beam to the wall, you can see a round column. There's one at each end of the garage. The header on the wall is simply stabilizing it.

Ali

I'm in the process of resealing my oil pans along with timing chain cover, front main seal, timing chain slipper and oil pump cover, and any other such leaking and or worn component while doing my HG replacement. I figured its all work that is a PITA and I know I'll procrastinate doing it later so I pushed myself to take care of it now and be done with it. Now my problem is that I don't own a cherry picker to lift the engine and one wouldn't help me anyway with the head out and nothing to hook it to. Where else can I lift the engine from. Can I loosen the front motor mounts and lift the engine by jacking up the tranny? I would appreciate anyones input on this.

Thanx
George

George,

I think that should work. If you haven't removed the lower oil pan yet, then use a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 under it to do the same thing.

Goes w/o saying, be safe, especially your eyes!

Cheers.

George,

I think that should work. If you haven't removed the lower oil pan yet, then use a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 under it to do the same thing.

Goes w/o saying, be safe, especially your eyes!

Cheers.
The oil pan is back in place with a few bolts until I'm ready to take it off and re-seal it. Being a smart ass I thought for sure I could take it off without lifting the motor ah-no! I will try your method as soon as I'm ready let you know. Thanx again.

George

I read the description of your oil pan reseal and was wondering if your replaced the square o-ring at the front of the pan under the oil pump inlet. It seals the pan to the oil pump. Getting FIPG in therre might not be so good for the pump or other small hose throught out the engine.

You can also undo your sway bar to give you some more room to get the pan out. You could also try jacking the truck up and leaving the axle on the ground, moving the whole engine away from the axle. Undoing the front lower shocks mounts could help with that. Watch your brake lines and ABS cabling.

I read the description of your oil pan reseal and was wondering if your replaced the square o-ring at the front of the pan under the oil pump inlet. It seals the pan to the oil pump. Getting FIPG in therre might not be so good for the pump or other small hose throught out the engine.
I didn't seal the pan yet but I do have the square rubber gasket for the timing chain cover.

You can also undo your sway bar to give you some more room to get the pan out. You could also try jacking the truck up and leaving the axle on the ground, moving the whole engine away from the axle. Undoing the front lower shocks mounts could help with that. Watch your brake lines and ABS cabling.

Just to reiterate, moving the axle away from the oil pan WON'T HELP MUCH :D It's the **&^%$# panhard rod support bar that gets in the way and it's AIN'T MOVING! Please see the pics and descriptions at the beginning of this thread to see what I mean.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Just to reiterate, moving the axle away from the oil pan WON'T HELP MUCH :D It's the **&^%$# panhard rod support bar that gets in the way and it's AIN'T MOVING! Please see the pics and descriptions at the beginning of this thread to see what I mean.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Just lookin' for options since he can't lift the motor.

Also watch out for the fan blades, make sure they don't hit anything when you lift the engine.

This is an excellent point; simply remove the fan or loosen the shroud so that everything moves when the engine moves upward. You'll be really ticked off if one of the blade breaks or chips off accidentally!

What did you torque your bolts holding the oil pans to?

I have seen lifting the engine by jacking the crank pulley. Good or bad? I don't know, but I have seen it done this way. Also watch out for the fan blades, make sure they don't hit anything when you lift the engine.

I guess I should have searched a bit more .. looks like someone else has done what I want to do. Medtro .. have you had any issues lifting up on the crank pulley??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom