Oil Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

to keep the big boy from spilling take a big sandwich zip lock put it over the fliter while you screw it off most of the oil will spill in the bag flip the fliter into the bag once its off and dont rip the bag as you pull it through, do this on my crusier and my runner , might spill a little but not near as much

to keep the big boy from spilling take a big sandwich zip lock put it over the fliter while you screw it off most of the oil will spill in the bag flip the fliter into the bag once its off and dont rip the bag as you pull it through, do this on my crusier and my runner , might spill a little but not near as much

That's a good idea. I will try that next change.

Are the Japanese made Toyota filters, 20004 and 41010, the same internally? Is either filter different/better than the other at filtering out small particles, flow rates,---??

That all spills out on the front axle housing when you spin that big boy off. :lol:

After that your hand is trapped just like the monkey's when he tries to get the bannana through the cage bars, except this bannana is HOT....:hillbilly:

^LOL^

I have the same question as Kernal; other than having more oil spill on my head when I'm changing oil, is there any advantage to the larger filter?

^LOL^

I have the same question as Kernal; other than having more oil spill on my head when I'm changing oil, is there any advantage to the larger filter?

Less expensive and easier to get. :meh:

filters and cleans more oil i would run the big boy over the little guy i run a big one on my runner too

Are the Japanese made Toyota filters, 20004 and 41010, the same internally? Is either filter different/better than the other at filtering out small particles, flow rates,---??

The -41010 is the most common Japanese Toyota-made filter around. It fits many, many different applications, most especially the F series engines as well as most of the early B and H series diesel engines.

What is important to note about the -20004 filter is that it is the "factory-fill" filter from all Japanese import engines that require a spin-on filter. And all Tacomas, Tundras and Land Cruisers with a 1GR-FE or a 2UZ-FE came with these filters from the factory. It was the factory filter for all 1FZ-FE's starting from 1996 until the end of the US 1FZ-FE production in 1/1998.

Search on MUD regarding the -20004 filter. Search the internet regarding this filter. It is considered one of the best filters money can buy (ie: without rigging up your own oil filtration system).

Beno answered the question.

My dealer doesn't even carry the 20004 filter. Beno how much do these run? Could you flat rate a bunch to cut down shipping? I've got a 2005 tundra dc and 97 lc.

Your parts guys probably have no idea what the -20004 filter is because if they enter the following number: 90915-20004 it immediately supercedes in their computer to 90915-YZZD3 which is the cheezie Thai manufactured replacement filter. The 90915-20004 filter is the "factory fill" filter--which means when the vehicle is completed in the manufacturing process, this is the filter that is on the engine when they start that sucker up for the first time. And it is the filter that is s***-canned at the first oil change interval.

There aren't many new Toyota vehicles that get this filter anymore since the 1FZ is gone, since the 2UZ is gone, and since the 1GR in the 4Runner and the FJ now come with a cartridge style filter (as of 2010). The Tacoma out of San Antonio is the only vehicle that gets this filter anymore out of the manufacturing line.

Like I said, search on the internet or even on MUD regarding the -20004 filter. We went through this whole deal 7 years ago or so when we did a thread that was maybe 10 pages long about the merits of different Toyota oil filters. The -20004 was the supreme winner.

No one carries the -20004 filters except for us as far as I know (I could be wrong on this). No Toyota depot has them except for the "Japan warehouse" in Ontario, CA. They have 30 in stock.

We have 500 in stock. :lol:

We'll be happy to sell you as many as you want. Feel free to contact Dan or myself.

Last edited:
filters and cleans more oil i would run the big boy over the little guy i run a big one on my runner too

Nope, it is a full flow system, so both filter and clean the same amount of oil, all of it. The only advantage the big filter would have is more capacity to hold debris, so could be run longer before becoming restricted. I have cut everyone that I have removed apart and have never found anything significant in any of them, pretty much clean and some were run 10K mi.

The main disadvantage of the big filter is larger startup air bubble, it is longer before oil is delivered than the small filter, so likely causes more startup wear. This is the main reason that I run the small one. The 1FZ runs so clean that it could likely be run without a filter and would take running a fleet of them, half with and half without, for their full lifetime, to tell if it even makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom