Oil filter choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
My 80 is due for and oil change in about 1 week. I already have the Mobil 1 but have to choose between 2 oil filters. I have already big Toyota 15600-41010, and a small Toyota 90915-20004. I can use either one, since they are already purchased and in my garage. These are the two preferred Toyota filters for the 80, so I'm wondering if there is an advantage to either. Up until now, my 80 has used Napa Gold filters almost exclusively. If it matters, I am only putting about 5k per year on the 80, and half of that will be the trip to Cruise Moab. Thanks.

Anything's better than the Napa filter --

-- when C-Dan sent out a message a while ago saying they Toy. was stopping sales of the '04 in the US, I bought 40 of 'em -- so you know my opinion -- ;)

Do a topic search on this -- it's a "rich" topic -- sorry, I hate that word -- too corporate amorica -- :) :)

eric

Actually, the Napa Gold filters are excellent. Still, I have decided to go back to Toyota and have a case of the 20004's and 3 of the big ones. I did search, and there is little information about choosing between these two. I have never heard a "start up rattle" for whatever that means. If there is no clear "best one" I'll probably use the big one and expand my oil capacity to 8 quarts.

I have been using the NAPA Gold 1515s(WIX) also. I just didn't want to put that tiny filter that looks like it is designed for a Prius on a 4.5 liter motor. It is the only part I buy that is non Toyota for my 80.

Both filters are fine choices. The primary benefit of the 90915-20004 is the somewhat smaller mess you get when you remove the filter. The 15600-41010 does indeed give you a bit more oil capacity. I would grab either one and go.

D-

smaller oil filter build up pressure faster. which means the engine got good pressure sooner.
It does got clogged faster if used for extended service due to less surface area. So get the smaller one if you do a lot of cold start. Get the big one if you drive a lot.

That Oil guy site is an eyefull. If you think we are nuts about Land Cruisers, those guys are friggin' religious about motor oil of all things. I'll stick to my long time favorite, Mobil 1. I plan to use the big manly Toyota filter this change, but I will listen carefully for the "rattle". If it rattles, I'll go back to the '04 smaller filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom