Oil dipstick o-ring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Barely tech, but I couldn't find a writeup for it, so just adding to the collective.

It was recently suggested here that I replace my dipstick o-ring. I didn't even know I had such a thing. Well sure enough, there is an o-ring on the bottom of the hard tube that guides the dipstick into the oil pan.

The o-ring was a couple of bucks. Tiny little thing.

Removal involved unbolting the top mount from the drivers side of the intake plenum from the top of the engine bay (12mm head) and the bottom bolt holding the base to the block (also 12mm head) from below. The lower bolt was a bear to break free, guessing it had been there 30 years...

I sprayed the area clean with brake cleaner before removing the pipe.

It was firmly stuck in place and a bunch of tugging and twisting eventually broke it free, with only a small offering of blood to the cruiser gods when it let loose and I smashed my hand against something (totally avoidable). I think it was just getting hung up on the crusty old o-ring.

There is a plastic bushing at the bottom of that pipe that is unobtanium so you don't want to break it. Be careful removing the pipe.

The pipe comes out the top of the engine bay with no drama. Plenty of room to remove it.

The o-ring was as hard as a rock and squared in profile ( the new one was round, so assuming just hardened and reshaped by heat, pressure and time).

Remove the old o-ring, clean the area, and install the new o-ring.

I put the new one on, put a little bit of oil on it per the FSM, and reinstalled. Bottom bolt first, then top bolt.

I put a new dipstick (aka gage) in at the same time, because the rubber bits at the top of the dipstick were hardened and probably not doing a lot of sealing. The new one fits snug, so that seems better.

Parts:
96721-19010 1988-2020 Toyota Engine Oil Dipstick Tube Seal
15301-66011 Gage Sub Assembly Oil L

(ignore the transmission dipstick info - or replace that one too!)

1694701326055.png

1694701352654.png

Thank you for this. I have a leak from there and wanting to tackle it at the same time as the lefthand side valve cover gasket.

Barely tech, but I couldn't find a writeup for it, so just adding to the collective.

It was recently suggested here that I replace my dipstick o-ring. I didn't even know I had such a thing. Well sure enough, there is an o-ring on the bottom of the hard tube that guides the dipstick into the oil pan.

The o-ring was a couple of bucks. Tiny little thing.

Removal involved unbolting the top mount from the drivers side of the intake plenum from the top of the engine bay (12mm head) and the bottom bolt holding the base to the block (also 12mm head) from below. The lower bolt was a bear to break free, guessing it had been there 30 years...

I sprayed the area clean with brake cleaner before removing the pipe.

It was firmly stuck in place and a bunch of tugging and twisting eventually broke it free, with only a small offering of blood to the cruiser gods when it let loose and I smashed my hand against something (totally avoidable). I think it was just getting hung up on the crusty old o-ring.

There is a plastic bushing at the bottom of that pipe that is unobtanium so you don't want to break it. Be careful removing the pipe.

The pipe comes out the top of the engine bay with no drama. Plenty of room to remove it.

The o-ring was as hard as a rock and squared in profile ( the new one was round, so assuming just hardened and reshaped by heat, pressure and time).

Remove the old o-ring, clean the area, and install the new o-ring.

I put the new one on, put a little bit of oil on it per the FSM, and reinstalled. Bottom bolt first, then top bolt.

I put a new dipstick (aka gage) in at the same time, because the rubber bits at the top of the dipstick were hardened and probably not doing a lot of sealing. The new one fits snug, so that seems better.

Parts:
96721-19010 1988-2020 Toyota Engine Oil Dipstick Tube Seal
15301-66011 Gage Sub Assembly Oil L

(ignore the transmission dipstick info - or replace that one too!)

View attachment 3429155

View attachment 3429157

Aww man, I just saw this was for 80 Series--not 100 Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom