off road test run LJ78 "Prado" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers said:
This is where i have my dilemma. I like 35” boots, I have run that size for years BUT I also like low and stable. I love to side hill my trucks and I want stability. To fit that size tire on the LJ78 I think you will need quite a lift, at least 2 ½” or maybe even a bit more.

You're thinking entirely inside the box. The problems with lift to fit larger tires are exatly as you say, but a lift is the lazy man's way to fit larger tires. The way to properly install larger tires is to trim the fenders, and if necessary, tub the body to fit the tires. You've got a plasma cutter, a wealth of experience with restroing Land Cruisers and no day job to get in your way, so go for it!

crushers said:
You know as well as I that tire size is the only real clearance gain and that lift is to fit bigger tires to the body be it a spring lift or a body lift. Now that being said a lift will improve the break over angle and the departure angle but not ground clearance under the axles, only larger tires can do this.

I would beg tp differ. In my opinion, a spring over, not applicable to the LJ series Toyota trucks of course (note my hesitation to say Land Cruiser), offers three substantial benefits in addition to the extra lift to fit larger tires. For the sake of this discussion, the germain issue is that it removes the leaves from under the axles, which DOES improve ground clearance without lift.

And of course, there's always other ways to increase ground clearance without lift... portal axles, using lighter duty axles with smaller differentials, independant suspensions... You're assertion as a trusted advisor on this board that ONLY larger tires can improve ground clearance may unecessarily limit others to think of options that you' may not choose yourself. It would be unfortunate if this board ever developed a reputation for having a limited scope of meaningful discussion.

Peter Straub

LOL!! once again you make me laugh out loud.
the bottom of the punkin is the lowest spot on most trucks, no?? so yes, protal axles will help in this BUT as you well know i am big on keeping a Toyota that, a toyota and after seeing you break the portal axles on Tippy R i am not sure i want that concern under my personal rig.
SOA gives the body clearence but still the tires will make clearence for the diffs, not the lift as you well know.
as for taking a plasma cutter and trimming the fenders on a perfectly good truck sends shivers down my spine so until i bang up the body by some unfortunate driving boo boo that is unacceptable.

anyway, Peter my good friend, you know i like to be the underdog when i am out wheeling. you go up and i will try to use finese to get through...

cheers

crushers said:
i have to agree, if you want long life out of the L series engines then install a pyro, a temp gauge and make sure your cooling system stays up to par. that coupled with proper driving habits and the 2.4 will last you a long time.
cheers

Hey Wayne
For us diesel newbies/wannabees , can you give us a explanantion of the above? I did read the posts a while back about the 2L-T and am curious.

Thanks,
Bob
1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

SurfPonto said:
Hey Wayne
For us diesel newbies/wannabees , can you give us a explanantion of the above? I did read the posts a while back about the 2L-T and am curious.

Thanks,
Bob
1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

On any truck mechinical gauges are a good idea, they give you true indications of your motors tempurature. If something is gonna happen wouldn't you wanna shut off yer truck, you never know, a frost plug rusts, or a rad hose bursts, anything can happen.

crushers said:
...after seeing you break the portal axles on Tippy R i am not sure i want that concern under my personal rig.

In case anyone was wondering, Wayne refers to the breakage of a home-made steering arm attached to said portal axle. The portal axles themselves are one of the few things on TippyR that HASN'T broken. BTW.. those steering arms are now reinforced with two plates of 1/4" steel.

Peter Straub

I thought this TLC are a good platafform to do good off road things comfortable, but 35" are tu much for this little engine without regrearing .. with 5.38 .. ? is an option.

Behemoth60 said:
LJ series Toyota trucks of course (note my hesitation to say Land Cruiser)

So, what makes a Land Cruiser? Does "light duty" automatically mean "not Land Cruiser?" Sure the LJ shares a lot of running gear with the Hilux or whatever, but who cares? For a person like me, not planning any hardcore off-roading, not wanting to spend my hard-earned 8 grand on a rusty BJ60 with 500,000km on it, the LJ is a perfect truck. Where I live, 4Runners are a dime a dozen, I could have picked up a decent one for what I've spent (so far) on my LJ. But I wanted a Land Cruiser, and if nothing else this thread has shown that, properly driven, they are worthy of the name.

So, please don't discount or exclude those of us who deliberately choose the light duty machines because they match our budget and/or lifestyle.

Best,
Robin

Last edited:
Eric Winkworth said:
On any truck mechinical gauges are a good idea, they give you true indications of your motors tempurature. If something is gonna happen wouldn't you wanna shut off yer truck, you never know, a frost plug rusts, or a rad hose bursts, anything can happen.

Thanks Eric,
I was just curious if the 2L-T is more prone to certain problems then say a 3B? I am trying(with some help) to purchase a diesel and have narrowed it down to a LJ71 or perhaps a BJ70.

light_duty said:
So, what makes a Land Cruiser? Does "light duty" automatically mean "not Land Cruiser?" Sure the LJ shares a lot of running gear with the Hilux or whatever, but who cares? For a person like me, not planning any hardcore off-roading, not wanting to spend my hard-earned 8 grand on a rusty BJ60 will 500,000km on it, the LJ is a perfect truck. Where I live, 4Runners are a dime a dozen, I could have picked up a decent one for what I've spent (so far) on my LJ. But I wanted a Land Cruiser, and if nothing else this thread has shown that, properly driven, they are worthy of the name.

So, please don't discount or exclude those of us who deliberately choose the light duty machines because they match our budget and/or lifestyle.

Best,
Robin

In some cases a lighter smaller truck is better, expecially when you wanna stay on top of the mud or snow. I would consider an LJ for my next LC, the new FJ cruiser is another story!

Behemoth60 said:
In case anyone was wondering, Wayne refers to the breakage of a home-made steering arm attached to said portal axle. The portal axles themselves are one of the few things on TippyR that HASN'T broken. BTW.. those steering arms are now reinforced with two plates of 1/4" steel.

Peter Straub

Wadja do with for the axles? Throw a couple of Unimog units under there?

-kevin

SurfPonto said:
Thanks Eric,
I was just curious if the 2L-T is more prone to certain problems then say a 3B? I am trying(with some help) to purchase a diesel and have narrowed it down to a LJ71 or perhaps a BJ70.

It seems that a certain set of 2LT and 2LTE engines had cylinder heads that were a bit too thin between the face and the coolant passages which caused them to be a bit fragile. Any new heads that you buy if one goes are redesigned and are a bit thicker and this seems to cure the problems. The 2L series engine however is very strong in other ways. The bottom end is pretty much indestructable and it is so under stressed compared to it's strength that they will easily see 300K miles with no major work if the head doesn't fail. It's no accident that Hilux Pickups with the 2L engine are some of the most popular vehicles around for countries where reliability is a must have - Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

It's a good torquey engine whilst a little short on top end power, however it is a very good engine for off road use as long as it isn't in too heavy a vehicle. The sensitivity on the throttle seems to be a thing on the 2L-TE rather than the 2L-T. The 2L-TE has an electronic fly by wire throttle where the throttle cable is connected to the inlet and operates a switch which send signals to the ECU to control the fuel pump. The 2L-T is a normal cable throttle direct on the pump.

Eric Winkworth said:
In some cases a lighter smaller truck is better, expecially when you wanna stay on top of the mud or snow. I would consider an LJ for my next LC, the new FJ cruiser is another story!

With a LJ-70 and 1KZ-TE engine, with 8" diff coil sprung, 35" tires locked, with cromo axle set in front, trustme, you been able to do great things .. !

harveya said:
It seems that a certain set of 2LT and 2LTE engines had cylinder heads that were a bit too thin between the face and the coolant passages which caused them to be a bit fragile. Any new heads that you buy if one goes are redesigned and are a bit thicker and this seems to cure the problems. The 2L series engine however is very strong in other ways. The bottom end is pretty much indestructable and it is so under stressed compared to it's strength that they will easily see 300K miles with no major work if the head doesn't fail. It's no accident that Hilux Pickups with the 2L engine are some of the most popular vehicles around for countries where reliability is a must have - Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

It's a good torquey engine whilst a little short on top end power, however it is a very good engine for off road use as long as it isn't in too heavy a vehicle. The sensitivity on the throttle seems to be a thing on the 2L-TE rather than the 2L-T. The 2L-TE has an electronic fly by wire throttle where the throttle cable is connected to the inlet and operates a switch which send signals to the ECU to control the fuel pump. The 2L-T is a normal cable throttle direct on the pump.

thing also in the 3L engine .. with no heads problems .. non turbo from factory but with a lots of turbo kits options available ..

itś an immortal engine ..

Wayne, GB, etc... I am still concerned about parts availability for the 2LT. How is it for parts? Where can you get the goods when something breaks? It's not like the 13 or 2 series... , where parts are plentiful... and the chassis is completely different.. just wondering... the wife says she would drive a 78 :) but this parts issue concerns me.

Nice balanced discussion being created folks, which lists issues, solutions, and ideas.

Steve, I think the world is getting smaller, so parts supply is there. Simply being on this forum, or the other forums listed that deal with this series engines plugs one into the world. Maybe not at your local auto parts dealer as people have mentioned, however there is a growing list of people carrying parts (the common ones that are none North America available). More and more cross over application parts are being discovered too, as experience growes. This trend will continue in my opinion. Is there the possibility of having it sit for a while, while something has to come in? Sure. Will it be common? I don't think so. Will everyone hear about it when it happens? Yes. This goes for any of the engines that were never brought into Canada or North America; HD or LD.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Greg_B said:
Nice balanced discussion being created folks, which lists issues, solutions, and ideas.

Steve, I think the world is getting smaller, so parts supply is there. Simply being on this forum, or the other forums listed that deal with this series engines plugs one into the world. Maybe not at your local auto parts dealer as people have mentioned, however there is a growing list of people carrying parts (the common ones that are none North America available). More and more cross over application parts are being discovered too, as experience growes. This trend will continue in my opinion. Is there the possibility of having it sit for a while, while something has to come in? Sure. Will it be common? I don't think so. Will everyone hear about it when it happens? Yes. This goes for any of the engines that were never brought into Canada or North America; HD or LD.

hth's

gb

Thats reasonable answer GB, and pretty much what I was thinking. Maybe not the best choice as a DD single car family.

So, will G&S be bringing in any of these down the road?

I think parts should be not bad (at least drivetrain wise) the axles are the same as a hilux which parts are easily found. and the 2LTE probably shares some parts with the 2LT which we have around here as well.

It may take a bit of trial and error but I bet alot of the parts are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom