off road test run LJ78 "Prado" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

harveya said:
Yes you are correct however you may need a spacer to lower the compression ratio if using a Turbo.

or lowering the boost on your turbo ..

Anycase, here in Panamá we have a LOT's .. ! of 2L, 2L-T and 3L ( 2L-TE not common ) and I'm 100% sure that good number of CO are still making spare parts for those engines as well ..

For those engines ( and much others good engines from Toyota and Nissan ) you can found good base of spares parts .. OEM, Original and Chinesse.

I just talked to someone at Penticton Toyota. They've got 2 LJ78s sitting on their lot, as well as some Hilux trucks. I thought I'd make a call and get the full story on why/how they're selling these trucks. The salesman told me that he's been moving 4-5 '90 Prados per month since last March (take that with however much salt you feel is needed).

I was both surprised and pleased to see a Toy dealer importing these trucks, because it shows that at least some people within the Toyota organization are listening to the growing hum of the Canadian JDM market. There are already great importers working in Canada, but if the dealers start doing it, at least it may increase the parts availability. The salesman told me they're sourcing AND stockpiling JDM parts, and they use the Japanese catalogue, and they can get most stuff, etc. Interesting...

Tapage said:
or lowering the boost on your turbo ..

Anycase, here in Panamá we have a LOT's .. ! of 2L, 2L-T and 3L ( 2L-TE not common ) and I'm 100% sure that good number of CO are still making spare parts for those engines as well ..

For those engines ( and much others good engines from Toyota and Nissan ) you can found good base of spares parts .. OEM, Original and Chinesse.
that is good to know.. thanks

light_duty said:
I just talked to someone at Penticton Toyota. They've got 2 LJ78s sitting on their lot, as well as some Hilux trucks. I thought I'd make a call and get the full story on why/how they're selling these trucks. The salesman told me that he's been moving 4-5 '90 Prados per month since last March (take that with however much salt you feel is needed).

I was both surprised and pleased to see a Toy dealer importing these trucks, because it shows that at least some people within the Toyota organization are listening to the growing hum of the Canadian JDM market. There are already great importers working in Canada, but if the dealers start doing it, at least it may increase the parts availability. The salesman told me they're sourcing AND stockpiling JDM parts, and they use the Japanese catalogue, and they can get most stuff, etc. Interesting...
really?
<rolling eyes>
so did he say he can bring these parts in through Toyota?
what is the warranty he is offering on the drivetrains?
cheers

crushers said:
really?
<rolling eyes>
cheers

All I got from our brief conversation was that he has the Japanese "catalogue," and that he was stocking parts for the Surfs and Prados. As far as whether they're Toyota parts or jobber parts, can't tell ya.

I didn't ask about warranty, as I am not buying a truck from him. For one thing, his prices seem to average about a grand over what you're asking, Wayne. Besides, I'm sure that they would never match your expertise or the aftercare that you offer your clients.

Still, to see a Toyota dealer selling JDM parts almost looks to me like the proverbial "foot in the door". If Toyota clues in that they can make money selling parts that are readily available around the world, why wouldn't they? It's a case of demand creating a supply.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Robin

Stampede wanted to bring in the JDM trucks a year ago but nothing ever materialized.
i was surprised to see a Toyota dealership actually selling the imports since Toyota shut the door on parts.
i am looking forward to seeing your LJ78 in a couple weeks...
sometimes i come across negative but i don't mean to, i have a hard time expressing myself properly
cheers

Robin:

You should call up their parts department and pretend to order some parts for your Prado. If the parts guy says he can get it for you and quote you a price...great! If he sounds confused, he's not alone. :D Would be one way to tell if the salesman was pitching you the typical story or if he's telling the truth.

Some of the local Toyota dealerships parts people here are really helpful and knowledgeable. Cruiserheads like Gord and Dan at Jim Pattison Toyota, or Mike at Sunrise Toyota.

crushers said:
i am looking forward to seeing your LJ78 in a couple weeks...

I am looking forward to it too, although it feels like when you go to the doctor with a mysterious lump under your skin...you kinda want to find out if something's wrong, but at the same time you really don't want to know... :eek:

Fingers crossed!

Robin

crushers said:
really?
<rolling eyes>
cheers

You can still get 2L and 3L engine parts new in the UK from the Toyota dealerships - import from Japan for some of them take up to 2 weeks however most of the parts can be sourced from the European distribution depot in Belgium with 3 day delivery.

The cylinder heads are still available new from a number of suppliers - new original Toyota items, the same head is used for the 2L, 2LT, 2LTE and 2L2 engines. 2L2 engine was available in the UK until a couple of years ago in new trucks. Only changed witht he introduction of the D4D engine in the Hilux pickup.

The 2L engines anyway were made by a number of suppliers under licence from Toyota. A lot were made by Daihatsu.

Stone said:
Robin:

You should call up their parts department and pretend to order some parts for your Prado. If the parts guy says he can get it for you and quote you a price...great! If he sounds confused, he's not alone. :D Would be one way to tell if the salesman was pitching you the typical story or if he's telling the truth.

Some of the local Toyota dealerships parts people here are really helpful and knowledgeable. Cruiserheads like Gord and Dan at Jim Pattison Toyota, or Mike at Sunrise Toyota.

Sunrise Toyota in Abbotsford has the Japanese and General catalogue so phoning and getting help via cross-over applications is possible there to. Not being a Lexus dealer, anything crossing over to the Lexus line they can't get.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Greg_B said:
Sunrise Toyota in Abbotsford has the Japanese and General catalogue so phoning and getting help via cross-over applications is possible there to. Not being a Lexus dealer, anything crossing over to the Lexus line they can't get.

hth's

gb

That's good to know, too. Looks like sourcing parts for these trucks might be matter of building up a network of sympathetic and knowledgeable people at Toyota dealers and elsewhere. It's great to have a board on which to make and share connections.

Robin

Last edited:
This whole 2L-Tx parts discussion should almost go into a new thread, but I guess it's tool late now. Anyway, a while ago I sent an email to Kodiak Custom in BC, and just heard back today that they can and have got new heads for Toyota diesels. He says his heads are superior to both Toyota heads and Allhead stuff, due to their high nickel content. He wouldn't give me a price, because I told him I might not need one right away, and the cost of shipping is skyrocketing, ergo the price is subject to change.

http://www.kodiakcustomvehicles.com/

Anyway, nice to know of another CDN source.

Robin

Wow 2 year old thread revival....;)

FYI almost all the Toyota dealers in BC that did import LJ7*'s back in 2005 no longer do. Delica's are all the rage now.

FYI there are a number of Toyota Dealers in Ontario now bringing in Prados

You should drop in and see just how big their parts inventory is for JDM landcruisers. Ask them if they stock injector pump rebuild kits.
That will test them:D

Wow 2 year old thread revival....;)

FYI almost all the Toyota dealers in BC that did import LJ7*'s back in 2005 no longer do. Delica's are all the rage now.

Same in oz,there is import dealer near me who never has less than 50 Delicas in his yard. In the good old days it was full of JDM 61s and 74s

I followed some Delicas at the beach through the sand dunes last summer. They didnt go to bad but they have to be driven hard to go in areas where a 73 series just glides through;)

Well I'm not seeing any other JDM anything (other than mine)
where I live. Would be nice to hook up with some other Prado owners and chew the fat so to speak:)

Regards

well richard, the wife got her transfer to Ontario os if she accepts it we will have to hook up...
cheers

OK Wayne your on buddy.
Keep me posted..

ok...so im a no0b to all this diesel talk, but am now entertaining the thought of going jdm toy. even though its 2 years old (great review and pics btw!)...this thread seems to fit into what im currently deciding on. gotta say this forum is information overload:eek:

currently, im running a 3rd gen (98) 4runner, double locked on 35's etc etc. now that we've got a 3rd child on the way, we're looking for a truck that can comfortably haul us all plus camping gear, as well as fulfill my wheeling needs.

i've been researching the HDJ81's, hiluxes, and prados. the 80 is a beast of a machine, but does/has everything i want. only thing im not too fond of is the cost of owning and maintaining these badboys, but the fuel economy seems to be doubling what im currently getting in my runner. (maybe 280-300km/60L tank)

the hilux is as tight if not tighter than my runner, but the cargo capacity and fuel economy/diesel reliability makes up for it i think...and its still very wheelable. (i wheel with one on a regular basis)

the prado on the other hand isnt as much of a wheeler as i want, but sits in between the other two options. available factory rear locker is a bonus (is the front a standard 8" diff?). my only issue with the prado's is the cracking head...pretty much a deal breaker for me. from my understanding...its a ticking time bomb. does the 3L head swap completely eliminate this problem? from the research i've done, its probably a $3k deal...but if it solves the problem completely, its one im willing to shell out to fix.

..or i can just keep the runner, trade in the GLX for a minivan :crybaby:, and get myself a nice m100 or m416 or similar trailer with full tent/expedition setup.

hopefully someone can chime in and offer me some advice. i could just keep the runner and deal with how cramped it is 3 wide in the back. its a great wheeler for me...and say whatcha want about the IFS, but i keep up and often surpass my SA buddies.

i just want to run a stinky diesel motor really...

crushers: got any good 80's in stock? :D btw..can they come with lockers AND 3rd row seats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom