Off on another Cruiser project adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn you Northern Hemispherean's and your rust free early 45's! [or any 45's!!]

Finally got home! Went straight to work from the road to help control the chaos, last man in the shop, of course. Such is life. I'm so fired up for the 45 that I think we will get acquainted a bit before rest time. Of course, have to celebrate with a nice IPA too!
20180830_171337.jpg

Great to hear! Does buddy like it?

Took Buddy about 1 second to jump up in the truck. He approves.
20180830_172249.jpg

Probably the biggest concern I have (although minor, really), is that this is not the original engine. Should be an F135 right? The accessories look right but could have just been swapped. It does not turn by hand. The plugs are out and the points are out like someone messed with that last. No carburetor, no air cleaner lid. If the engine is wrong, the silver lining is that my 70 fj55 parts truck has what I'm told is a rebuilt F in it. It looks clean and turns easily. I'm pretty certain it will run without too much trouble.

Any opinions on what I have engine wise?

Thank you
20180830_174638.jpg
20180830_174650.jpg
20180830_174729.jpg

That’s a later motor. Not an issue unless you are going for a @ClemsonCruiser build.

If my 135 was to die it would be hard for me to spend the money to rebuild it and not upgrade to a later motor.

I would not sweat that in the least.

That’s a later motor. Not an issue unless you are going for a @ClemsonCruiser build.

If my 135 was to die it would be hard for me to spend the money to rebuild it and not upgrade to a later motor.

I would not sweat that in the least.

Well then the upside is switching to the f155 in the parts 55 after confirming it is sound. I don't really care other than making sure the accessories are kind of period correct. That's the plan for now. I suppose a 2f, 3fe, or even a diesel is possible. Really though, the spirit of the truck totally speaks to a nice solid running 1F and the three on the tree.

If I can locate an original style valve cover, it will bolt right on a newer F engine, correct?

Well then the upside is switching to the f155 in the parts 55 after confirming it is sound. I don't really care other than making sure the accessories are kind of period correct. That's the plan for now. I suppose a 2f, 3fe, or even a diesel is possible. Really though, the spirit of the truck totally speaks to a nice solid running 1F and the three on the tree.

If I can locate an original style valve cover, it will bolt right on a newer F engine, correct?

I think so yes

That is awesome Pat! It appears to be Buddy approved. Now it’s time to get that bad boy running!!! I really appreciate the patina on that rig.

Definately a 65 build with that vin# and t-66 brass tag indicates year first sold or imported. That f145 looks like a 68 with the air injection. Don’t give up on it yet, have freed many f engines, diesel fuel in the cylinders and rock the crank back and forth, you can put it in gear as well and push the truck back and forth! Looks like a real solid complete lpb!

Damn you Northern Hemispherean's and your rust free early 45's! [or any 45's!!]

"Northern Hemispherians" - Love it. Sounds like a good band name.

Lot's of rusted out stuff around where I live but this one came from desert Southwest originally than got moved to Kentucky and lived indoors. It will stay inside a heated garage all winter here.

It's kind of funny that the Cruiser in the worst shape in my bunch just got moved to the top of the pyramid. Might try to do a "patina trio" photo this weekend.

I agree on trying to make it run. Can't give up without a fight, makes for a better story. Hopefully this weekend there is a little time to get after it.

Is the fuel filter/sediment bowl mounted upside down on top of the fuel pump? Seems like sediment won’t be able to collect. IIRC someone posted a correct bracket this week for that.

New 33x10.50 15 KM3's with fresh powder coated wheels went on the 55, which made me smile. Double win is the barely worn old knobby 30's went on the 45. Looks better I think. Purely cosmetic at this point since it doesn't run but I just needed that for motivation.
20180831_183202.jpg
20180831_184858.jpg

Luckily I have 4 original hub caps too. Problem is, I have 4 rears (no hole). They are in terrible shape but really, just right for this truck.

I may have the worst 2 cut and make fronts out of them, not sure.

If anyone has 2 extra fronts in terrible shape and wants to trade for 2 rears in terrible shape, I'm all about trading!
20180831_191552.jpg
20180831_191614.jpg

I know there are the new repros out there but they are over $100 each with shipping and I kinda like these ugly ducklings

Last edited:
Hubless looks cool as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom