HJ45 - Troopy in Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I bought a 1979 HJ45 Australian Troopy less than a year ago and am working to get it running again. It came with the H engine that was seized (I got it to move a bit, but one of the cylinders is rusted). The rust is pretty typical rust front floors and some around the wheel wells and rear sill area. A real project and money pit for sure. Here is a picture that gives an idea of what I am working with. I wanted something a bit rougher because I want to make it my own without feeling bad about messing with a cruiser in great condition. I am putting in a fully rebuilt 5.3L LS, Saginaw steering, 6l80e tranny, split case transfer case, etc. in it.

After digging into, my biggest wish is that one of the POs didn't have a welder.
71833100239__894DE5F3-97C1-4642-80E4-373127BC4341.jpeg

A couple more pics:
- Top one is with the engine mocked up
- Second one is prepping to send the frame to the powder coater. The bracket in the rear is for a Blazer gas tank, it is already equipped for fuel injection, it fits nicely in the troopy, and it leaves room for me to drop the mid floor for a bench seat and some extra doors. Not sure what will materialize there, but I will lower the mounts and use blocks in the mean time, but my wife is dead set that she would like at a minimum 1 more door. I think I have a 5 gallon bucket's worth of Australian dirt in those frame rails, but other than the rear cross member that was welded to excessively the frame is in great shape. The crossmember is now sitting in pieces in my garbage can.
IMG_1544.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg

Wish I could find one close by thats going to be a fine ride.

Cheers

Wish I could find one close by thats going to be a fine ride.

Cheers
I totally lucked into this one. Well maybe... it was bare enough that I might have been money ahead buying one that was in better condition, but it will be an adventure.

I did finish the frame repair - about 20 threaded holes to repair or add, new rear cross member, repaired support braces, and some other random repairs on the frame. It is at the powder coater now hopefully to be finished this week :)

Look forward to seeing your adventure unfold.
Enjoy the build as when its over you'll look for another adventure, I can see it coming.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom