OEM Winch Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a winch that I just started restoring so I figure I would document and ask questions in case someone else has done this before. I see a lot of PTO winches that are just painted and called restorations but the one I have needs new seals. I figure while I am at it I might as well disassemble and then powder coat or paint it. Here are some pictures.

IMG_3237 2.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

I will be watching this thread. I have a PTO winch that I would like to restore as well. Have you checked out the “winch and recovery” forum? There is a “PTO Winch Information” thread that may help you source parts that you need for the rebuild.

Does anyone know how to remove the shaft so the ends are completely apart? I want to disassemble but don't want to go wild if it ends up messing up the whole thing. If it will risk screwing it up then I will just have it media blasted and will paint intact.

IMG_4097 2.JPG

I will be watching this thread. I have a PTO winch that I would like to restore as well. Have you checked out the “winch and recovery” forum? There is a “PTO Winch Information” thread that may help you source parts that you need for the rebuild.

I have not! Thanks! I will take a look.

Does anyone know how to remove the shaft so the ends are completely apart? I want to disassemble but don't want to go wild if it ends up messing up the whole thing. If it will risk screwing it up then I will just have it media blasted and will paint intact.

View attachment 1953038

Do you have a FSM. How to tear and put back together should be covered.

I have been curious about the PTO's. There were Toyota and Ramsey at the same time. I can only surmise that the Toyota was ordered at the time the vehicle was ordered, and the Ramsey was a dealer installed (wag).

Before anyone starts yelling at me with their fingers, I have proof that the Ramsey PTO was an option in the mid sixties. Don't know about later years. Always interested in what the experts have to provide as to history

The Toyota was the only one installed at the factory both were available from the dealer. Have price sheets from the sixties showing prices for both. Guessing possible some dealers installed a Ramsey PTO winch before put the cruiser out on the lot. One of my FJ25s had a Ramsey PTO winch and a Factory PTO. Seen a 62 FJ40 with a whole Ramsey PTO winch on the early transmission and transfer case.

Thank you Living in the Past (me as well). I look forward to Billsboat answers. I've tried looking up numbers for the Ramsey PTO without much success. My '68 has one and I was curious as to parts/gaskets.

@jvincig01

I have removed the worm drive and need to replace the seals. Should be fun trying to find new ones.
View attachment 1953030

Good luck, take lots of pictures.

The OEM seals for the worm shaft appear to be available from Toyota.

Seal Type T Oil - Toyota (90311-28004) $9.22 each list

When I disassembled my u-joints, nearly every clip broke in half. If you find a replacement clip, please post it

Thanks.

The OEM seals for the worm shaft appear to be available from Toyota.
Just arrived..
IMG_6537.JPG

90311-38040 SEAL for winch gear case is also available.

But, I can`t find WINCH GEAR CASE COVER GASKET at the moment

I recently finished restoring my pto, winch, seals and all. I’m happy to answer any questions

What type of grease did you use for packing into the drum?

Last edited:
Hmmm, dumb question but do I need to remove this pin in order to get this thing off? What's the best way to do so?

2019-04-14_2210.png

It was the shear pin location in a former life. ......what they did when eliminating the "shear" part of the equation will dictate how to remove it. Typically done with a bolt, but your PO may have gotten extra crafty.

It was the shear pin location in a former life. ......what they did when eliminating the "shear" part of the equation will dictate how to remove it. Typically done with a bolt, but your PO may have gotten extra crafty.

Can't see this real well on my phone but the harder the material used the easier it should be to drive out with a punch. A year ago when I traded PTOs and some PTO winch parts with someone he gave me a old SOR heavy brush guard that a PO had modified. They had used roll pins. Those being hard were fairly easy to drive out. Had some BP Blaster I soaked them with. When driving out I've better luck drive it one then the other. Cleaning the exposed end of any crap. Takes longer but have better luck with it not binding up. I do the same with screws and bolts using plenty lube. if the end is exposed I use a die to clean the exposed thread. Its messy but have had good results.

Just threw it on this old FJ25 to keep it out of the way. Collecting tools for over fifty years usually figure a easy way to do things. Is this where the KC Daylighers were mounted? This is a non rust pair. Surface rust on the one you had is pretty bad. Good for parts for the couple sets I have.

IMG_20190326_163416526.jpg

Yes the lights were mounted. Hey, the guard looks on your rig— tough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom