OEM Steel Wheel Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just had (yesterday)5 steelies ,blasted and powder coated for $50 a wheel in Southern Oregon>

If you can live with black, I just bought 5 disc rims from the dealer for $85.89 each.

I rattle-canned mine using one of the standard off-white/ivory colors from Ace, and I think it came it pretty good. Cleaned up the wheels real good first, and put a couple coats of primer, several coats of color, and two top coats of clearcoat. Based on the prices being posted, I guess I saved quite a bit of $$ too :p

fishing021.jpg

are the stock FJ40 hubcaps still avaliable from the dealer? If so does anybody know the price and part #.....The dealer here doesn't seem to want to look very hard.

TIA, Greg

EDIT: I apologize for the hijack.......I'll owe ya a beer sometime.

ooops wrong #rs....they were superseded....these should be correct:

Supersession Information
Part number 4262160010 was superseded by part number 426216001086.

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
426216001086 $22.38 $0.00 $17.90

CAP,WHEEL

also super'd:
Part number 4262160020 was superseded by part number 426216002086.

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
426216002086 $23.01 $0.00 $18.41

CAP,WHEEL

Les Schwab tires takes our steel semi truck tires and sandblast/inspect and powder coat. I was told my cruiser wheels would be about $30 each

Powder coating price

Best thing to do is sit down and call five or six powder coaters within comfortable driving distance and get quotes. My experience has been that the quotes will vary substantially. Powder coating will last many times longer than rattle cans. At my local prices I could powder coat for two or three times the cost of rattle cans and last six to ten times as long. Rattle cans aren't as cheap as they used to be. By the time you do a few coats of primer and then color and the clear you could almost powder coat and be done with it IMO. Can't powder coat in your garage though :) Takes skill and patience to get a real good finish with a spray bomb.

Anyone know what powdercoat color most closely matches the late model gray? The ones posted earlier in this thread appear to be too light.

As stated before, Cardinal Gray, is close to stock and readily available from most powder coating outfits.

Here's a shot of a buddies old Bj with cardinal gray wheels, think he paid about $50 apiece for the powder coating.
BJ42_Cardinal Gray Wheels.PNG
CARDINAL GRAY.PNG

I'm trying to decide between keeping my wheels gray on my FJ55 or changing over to off-white.

gray-white.PNG

Gray looks 'unfinished' to me...like primer, but that is what mine were stock. Torn between keeping it stock and changing to white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom