Oem snorkel install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a one piece OEM knock off that installed just like factory... I believe they're available on eBay. Even hooked to the airbox just like stock. My non-snorkel airbox had to be modified to work with it, but if you had a factory snorkel airbox it would be a direct swap.

Untitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Solid, thanks!

I'm still torn on using these OEM variants vs a Safari. Both are here, both will work, the Safari has the cleaner-sealed install but the OE is just neat :cool:

Decisions... :D

I’m probably going to modify mine. Likely use a safari top hat, but I’ve got a friend who 3D prints. I may work with him to make a top hat and rubber gasket kit to seal the unit. I’m unsure if he is currently ready to print in silicone. I’ll update this thread at a later time.

This is a very helpful thread. I'm going OEM because, well, I'm a sucker for OEM solution. I may actually do some waterproofing to add to the snorkel's effectiveness. I just like the idea of the snorkel Mr. Toyota intended.

One question though. Here's a diagram of the overall parts:
MUD_snorkeldia1.jpg

I've got the parts lined up and just one things puzzles me about how it installs.

MUD_snorkeldia2.jpg

Does the body panel sandwich between 53284G and 53964 (the red arrow)?
OR
Does the body panel sandwich between 53964 and 17911A (the green arrow)?

MUD_snorkeldia2.jpg

OR

Lower snorkel section > fender > steel plate (53964) > rubber plumbing (17911a)

The lower section of the snorkel has a foam gasket which I removed. I laid a few beads of black silicone caulk to “seal” that part against the outer fender. I did the same for the metal plate against the inner fender and where the rubber plumbing (17911a) connects. I have no idea how “sealed it really is but it’s better than foam I presume.

Lower snorkel section > fender > steel plate (53964) > rubber plumbing (17911a)

The lower section of the snorkel has a foam gasket which I removed. I laid a few beads of black silicone caulk to “seal” that part against the outer fender. I did the same for the metal plate against the inner fender and where the rubber plumbing (17911a) connects. I have no idea how “sealed it really is but it’s better than foam I presume.

My metal plate has a bead of black sealant material already applied with some paper over it keeping it from sticking to anything... you added to that with silicone?

My metal plate has a bead of black sealant material already applied with some paper over it keeping it from sticking to anything... you added to that with silicone?

That’s the adhesive bit which should face the rubber plumbing to seal that joint. @beno may be able to answer that more accurately and IAW Toyota’s intent.

This is a very helpful thread. I'm going OEM because, well, I'm a sucker for OEM solution. I may actually do some waterproofing to add to the snorkel's effectiveness. I just like the idea of the snorkel Mr. Toyota intended.

One question though. Here's a diagram of the overall parts:
MUD_snorkeldia1.jpg

I've got the parts lined up and just one things puzzles me about how it installs.

MUD_snorkeldia2.jpg

OR
Red outside, green inside

Hello,

Silicone and a little grease help to make the intake air tight.

I may be stating the obvious here: you will need the OEM snorkel-specific air filter box.

Juan

I may be stating the obvious here: you will need the OEM snorkel-specific air filter box.

Juan

I used my non-snorkel box. I just cut the inlet pipe off, reversed it, and welded it back in. The inlet pipe is tack welded so just drill out the spots and pull it out. Rotated the canister counter-clockwise about 1 inch. I still need to shift the bracket for the aux power box. Othwise it’s mint.

Ok, This might seem like a stupid question. But how do you get the air intake that is inside the fender out. I assume you have to do this before you cut the hole in the side of the fender. It doesn't seem obvious to me. Or does the rubber boot that extends into the fender from the air box just end there?

Much confusion.

Lomo

Ok, This might seem like a stupid question. But how do you get the air intake that is inside the fender out. I assume you have to do this before you cut the hole in the side of the fender. It doesn't seem obvious to me. Or does the rubber boot that extends into the fender from the air box just end there?

Much confusion.

Lomo

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

The rubber boot extends from the inner fender to the air box.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

The rubber boot extends from the inner fender to the air box.

So you drill the hole and you can just connect to the air box with a silicone hose? Nothing else to remove from inside the fender?

So you drill the hole and you can just connect to the air box with a silicone hose? Nothing else to remove from inside the fender?

Three holes (two forward, 1 aft covered by the exterior plumbing) need to be drilled for bolts. And a large cut out of the fender to plumb the snorkel.

Three holes (two forward, 1 aft covered by the exterior plumbing) need to be drilled for bolts. And a large cut out of the fender to plumb the snorkel.

Like so...
054snorkelcut.jpg

Ignore the red "x" marks, those are the former emblem holes I'm going to weld shut.

I went ahead and did the whole rivnut/nutsert thing for mine as well.
055snorkelnuts.jpg

056snorkelnuts.jpg

ill have to add some photos of my install to the thread as well, especially as it has now been installed for about a year now.

PIctures to follow but I went with a 2-piece ebay knock off. The upper fender mount is splitting from the snorkel

I used foam between the snorkel and the fender with plans for something more substantial. It is starting to pulled into the snorkel from air draw. Not good.

I also went with nutserts and am much more pleased.

I prefer the OEM look as well. but I think hindsight I would have gone with a safari snorkel for the streamlined one piece design.

Dive medic,

how do you like having the fender mounted mirrors? Do they provide enough vantage point for towing? The OEM door mounted are seriously lacking and I am thinking of buying the tow mirror versions from AUS. hella expensive though but better than wrecking because

ill have to add some photos of my install to the thread as well, especially as it has now been installed for about a year now.

PIctures to follow but I went with a 2-piece ebay knock off. The upper fender mount is splitting from the snorkel

I used foam between the snorkel and the fender with plans for something more substantial. It is starting to pulled into the snorkel from air draw. Not good.

I also went with nutserts and am much more pleased.

I prefer the OEM look as well. but I think hindsight I would have gone with a safari snorkel for the streamlined one piece design.

Dive medic,

how do you like having the fender mounted mirrors? Do they provide enough vantage point for towing? The OEM door mounted are seriously lacking and I am thinking of buying the tow mirror versions from AUS. hella expensive though but better than wrecking because

Funny you ask about the fender mirrors. I’ve got a set of power door mirrors on the way. I will switch between them depending on my environment.

Fender mirrors for daily use. They are convex and provide superior vision compared to tow mirrors I’ve used on usdm trucks.

Door mirrors will be used for trails. I almost ripped my fender mirrors off last year in Tennessee.

Anyone doing this need one of these? I bought it last year and ended up not being able to use it as I put later OEM snorkel on mine.

It's been a while since I checked in around here, but glad I found this thread. I've been waiting for someone to post some measurements to go off of before tackling this install. I have the same factory style one piece knock-off that @ca18sean has. I didn't want to blindly trust that the holes for this knock-off matched the locations for the OEM, just in case I had to replace it in the future. Good work @divemedic ...this should help a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom