OEM Factory steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mattison-consulting.com
This weekend I wanted to take it easy and put my steering components on. Tie Rod ends, Drag Link, steering box... and finally the replacement steering stabilizer.

The one that I have came from Man-a-fre and apparently is to replace the OEM steering stabilizer.

But, I don't think that mine ever had a factory steering stabilizer.

There are no wholes in the tie rod or drag link and there is no mount on the frame.

Does anyone know if my 71 should have a steering stabilizer and if so what the mounts should look like.

As of right now I am wondering if the thing is even worth the effort seeing as I have power steering but, I guess it will still do the job of taking some of the quick moving steering.

Comments and help appreciated.

This is what I got right now.
omesteerndampenr.jpg

Jack

Yes, 71s do have a stabilizer. At least, mine does. One side attaches to the frame, and the other side attaches to the center hole on the center arm. You can see a graphic of it here - http://www.sor.com/sor/cat096.tam?xax=12248&page.ctx=cat096.tam

Here are the pics of my stabilizer. Sorry, the quality isn't that great. Good luck! :cheers:
Steering stabilizer0001.jpg
Steering stabilizer0002.jpg

First off, I don't think you need it. But here is a pic I saved that represents what NOT to do. On the left you can see the end of an aftermarket(looks to be Rancho) steering stabilizer that connects to the frame and probably to the tie rod with u-bolts. This guy obviously did not want to cut the front X-member so he has used the "One Hung Low" installation technique. Saved some dough on the drag link, too:D Custom, baby:bounce:

Ed
ed_3.jpg

Oddly enough, it looks like someone DID drill the front X-member!
Musta been really proud of it as he took a pic and posted it in his ad.:eek:

Ed

probably just had to get it done in a hurry

thats what gets people hurt or even killed

if you are running saginaw you may not even need a stabilizer.

i dont run one and have no troubles.

My 71 had two on it... Really, the first PO left the stock one on plus added a huge aftermarket unit! It was actually hard to turn the wheel! I removed them both but plan on replacing the OEM unit after test driving it should it need it.

AFAIK, all 40,45 and sense then have always had a OEM steering stabilzer.

25's may have also, bet they did

If your steering angles are correct, you shouldn't need a stabilizer. With the factory bellcrank setup, I think Toyota saw it as a necessity.

I moved the factory frame mount and used a universal bracket
steerstab_sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom