OEM constant force spring type hose clamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I friggin knew it. The answers that I got back from everyone including Wits End was that they work properly with the green stripe hose. Heck, I thought it was a simple enough question when I posted it. I didn't buy any of the spring clamps because Wit's answers were condesending and just didnt make sense. So thanks very much from all of us I'm sure for your confirmation.
How were Wit's End comments condescending?

He stated that he used them himself as well as many of his customers. Nothing condescending there at all.

He gave you part numbers and a photo of different types.

@NLXTACY is one of the most helpful people on this forum.
I am frequently condescending and an a-hole, so I can see how you may be REALLY offended by my reply, but definitely NOT by his.

You asked. You got answers.
Try them or not. Your decision.

How were Wit's End comments condescending?

He stated that he used them himself as well as many of his customers. Nothing condescending there at all.

He gave you part numbers and a photo of different types.

@NLXTACY is one of the most helpful people on this forum.
I am frequently condescending and an a-hole, so I can see how you may be REALLY offended by my reply, but definitely NOT by his.

You asked. You got answers.
Try them or not. Your decision.
You're right for calling me out. I am guilty as charged for saying that. The fact is he does have lots of cool s***. The other fact for me is they don't fit the green stripe 5/8" correctly and I should have left it at that. Like everything else on this forum it's all about personal preference when it comes to determining if something is a 'correct' fit or not. Peace.

I'm waiting for this tool to arrive. Looks like it works well on youtube for what that's worth. I wrecked many of these clamps using channel locks.
Amazon product ASIN B07H8243NG

I have this tool and it's Fantastic. I could not have done the FHH or the PHH without this tool - I think it's indispensable. I even used it changing out the radiator hoses on our Honda Odyssey recently and it was a critical piece of gear to have.

I've started buying these clamps on Amazon, and I find their sizing to be pretty accurate. Having said that, I sometimes buy a couple sizes to be sure I have what I need before I start.
Amazon product ASIN B005EMZWM0
I also saw that on Rock Auto they sell a Gates constant tension clamp similar to the Breeze ones, and Gates lists a size range for the clamps. I don't really like those clamps, I prefer the spring steel OEM type, but I thought others might want to seek out the Gates brand/Breeze type. Good luck, I don't know why getting clamps has to be so complicated. (Probably because my brain is small.)

Thanks to all for such input on tools, types, technigues, parts etc.
I agree with bicycleagentoo3 how can clamps involve so much and be so complicated.

After rereading post I can see that I too missed an important part in Original post #1 Green stripe hose.
My post and input are all based on using OEM hose.
Sure there is size difference with other products.

Why so complicated?
My quick take is that this vehicle has been designed, repaired engineered, manufactured and the done again, to the point that every space was filled with a purpose.
Every time I get to take apart and rebuild, its amazing how with right tool, everything comes apart simply.
With out the right tool and Patience, lots of head scratching. Personal experience is days trying to get a bolt off.

I just wanted to share my experience from doing the PHH on my rig this past weekend. I bought two of the Toyota clamp 90467-21010 and they did not work for me. I just could not get them over the flare on the pipe (either the pipe off the block or the hard pipe coming down off the side of the heater control valve). I was using Gates Green Stripe hose, which is a little thicker than silicone, and maybe thicker than OEM hose, but I just could not get it to work. I ended up using a couple of other clamps I had laying around from work on the FHH's.
My suggestion is that if you are using Gates Green Stripe you get a different clamp than the Toyota 90467-21010. I know Joey said they have worked for customers of his, but they didn't work for me (not throwing shade, just reporting my experience). And it's a difficult spot to be stretching a clamp to its max extension, in any case.
Good luck, YMMV.

Exact same experience.

Next time I'll just order a new OEM PHH (with pipe).

Condescending? Holy hell. :rolleyes:

Email can be ambiguous, but that is absolutely not the issue here. We live in a world now where expectations have simply become otherworldly. I deal with it every day in my own line of work as well. Simply put: it isn't you. I totally sympathize with everything you're dealing with at the moment. At this point I think I have spent thousands with you, and I will continue to do so, every business experiences growing pains - especially in a time where so much is just completely out of your (or anyone's) hands. I think it's important you know how much most of us appreciate what you do. Just wanted to say thanks.

Just for future reference for those who just want an assortment of sizes: It appears as though most of the replacement kits on Amazon suck, including the Hillman Group ones linked to earlier in this thread. There appears to be a difference between mere "spring clamps" and "automotive constant tension hose clamps". This looks to be a good source for non-OEM but seemingly reputable AUTOMOTIVE-QUALITY replacements listed by size:

How do you know they are automotive? They list a salt spray rating, they list the proper SAE specification, and they actually look like the OEM clamps including longer ear length (certainly related to opening and therefore clamping force) and anti over-clamp tab. Compare to their mere "spring clamps" which are also a fraction of the price, this color-coded crap is what everyone is selling on Amazon including Hillman:

As an aside, this website appears to have every bizarre body clip fastener thing you could ever need to replace which is handy! They have the good clamps on Amazon but it's not easy to find and they're 3X the price as their website.

SOME of these clamps are actually made by Auveco, apparently in the US, here's the catalog page in case you want to source them elsewhere but note that the website I linked above has a lot more sizes not in the image below (I'm unsure where they're sourced):
2020-11-30_23-49-41.jpg

Constant tension spring clamps are my personal favorite.

Love them or hate them, the perfect tool to install/remove them is a good set of linesman pliers.

Linesman pliers have large, flat, knurled gripping jaws that are awesome for gripping those three tiny tabs.

In fact, they even make it easy to compress the tabs completely together, opening the clamp to its outermost diameter, while maintaining a secure grip on the clamp tabs.

I have found that the majority of people that hate these clamps have not tried using a pair of linesman pliers.

I own a 1970 Oldsmobile, and it is full of these clamps.
I also work on cars for a living, and linesman pliers are what I use on these clamps at work.

Yes, occasionally you will have a very large one that linesman pliers cannot reach both sides of clamps.
For these I use a set of locking pump pliers (like Knipex).

Yes, occasionally you will have a very large one that linesman pliers cannot reach both sides of clamps.
For these I use a set of locking pump pliers (like Knipex).

Are you kidding me? I HATE pliers for these things even with an ideal approach angle, and that's only if your lucky to have an intelligent PO thinking ahead to place the clamp with a proper approach angle so you can even reach the clamp with pliers!!! E.g., God forbid they assembled the hoses with the rest of the front end removed and now with the radiator back in place how could you possibly get to that clamp that's clearly facing the wrong way?!?

I bought this set of hose clamp pliers and it's paid for itself in saved labor many times over:
I especially like set with the long cable so the pliers don't even have to be near the clamp. Also, these all have locks on them so you can open the clamps up completely and leave them that way without any hand pressure while placing. I never spend more than 15-30 seconds screwing with a clamp because of these things, I will never go back to plain old pliers. Regular pliers also tend to bend and ruin clamps, I've found that with these proper tools the clamps are in much better shape for reuse.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? I HATE pliers for these things even with an ideal approach angle, and that's only if your lucky to have an intelligent PO thinking ahead to place the clamp with a proper approach angle so you can even reach the clamp with pliers!!! E.g., God forbid they assembled the hoses with the rest of the front end removed and now with the radiator back in place how could you possibly get to that clamp that's clearly facing the wrong way?!?

I bought this set of hose clamp pliers and it's paid for itself in saved labor many times over:
I especially like set with the long cable so the pliers don't even have to be near the clamp. Also, these all have locks on them so you can open the clamps up completely and leave them that way without any hand pressure while placing. I never spend more than 15-30 seconds screwing with a clamp because of these things, I will never go back to plain old pliers. Regular pliers also tend to bend and ruin clamps, I've found that with these proper tools the clamps are in much better shape for reuse.
Can you give us a better link to the tool you like? I'm with on your comment, but the link is broken (at least for me).

Weird....I edited the link in my post above, it should work now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom