OEM constant force spring type hose clamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So these spring clamps are everywhere on most heater hoses, etc. I really do prefer using them over the double wire type OEM clamps which is what my JDM came with. I have collected some of these used clamps from here and there and see that Wit's @NLXTACY have a 3/4" size. Thing is I'd like a pile of them big enough to easily fit over the green stripe 5/8" heater hose and not be a PITA to slide on and off. I'm wondering if anyone (yes I searched) has a list of these types of clamps by part number and nominal service diameter sizes. i.e. not the unsprung diameter. I measured the fitted green stripe hose and turns out to be OD of 1.03" Maybe @Onur has a cheat sheet like this. Would be great help when ordering parts. Thanks as always.

90467-21010 3/4"?

here ya go

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 4.01.10 PM.png

This is particular to the Green stripe hose which has a much thicker wall than OEM 5/8 hose. The wire clamps just barely slide into position and I don't want to use the bag I bought. Its just too tight for my liking. Could you measure the ID of the ctc-34 spring clamp with the lock on it (as in the pic) and let me know what it is?

I’ve personally used those on gates GS many times and so have many of my customers.

Yep, I’ve used this on my ‘green stripe gates’, works perfectly !

Anyone out there with a min max measurement for this clamp and other similar type of standard sizes?
Here is a garage mechanics crude interpretation of two hose clamps and MM measurements.
This is two types of clamps as noted in forum above. There is not too many clamps in engine bay of different sizes.
Smaller for vent lines, and larger for power steering etc.
The ones pictured are for OEM hose.
No matter what clamp you use try all of them for your personal needs.
A good clamp for me should be easy to install, easy to to readjust, not get in the way of other clamps,bolts, nuts,etc.
It is the readjustment and also simplicity of a constant OEM spring clamp that sold me on the use.
2 cents from YKNOT experience

IMG_0279.JPG

Here is a garage mechanics crude interpretation of two hose clamps and MM measurements.
This is two types of clamps as noted in forum above. There is not too many clamps in engine bay of different sizes.
Smaller for vent lines, and larger for power steering etc.
The ones pictured are for OEM hose.
No matter what clamp you use try all of them for your personal needs.
A good clamp for me should be easy to install, easy to to readjust, not get in the way of other clamps,bolts, nuts,etc.
It is the readjustment and also simplicity of a constant OEM spring clamp that sold me on the use.
2 cents from YKNOT experience

View attachment 2329448
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help us all out with by far the best answer to this question yet. Do you have a part number for the smaller clamp you show?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help us all out with by far the best answer to this question yet. Do you have a part number for the smaller clamp you show?
You are welcome. I can see that some explanation of the "TWO CLAMPS" is needed on my part. The two top clamps are for the size hose.

The top clamps at the top are the respected part # on bag.
The clamp on Right 90467-21010 "Constant Squeeze/Pressure" Shows two things.
1.Top right picture shows how clamp comes for install.
2. Picture below shows the same clamp "Reduced" or UNSPRUNG. This is the approximate size hose you would be using, IE slighter larger for "Pressure". +1-2MM
Hose sizes are similar to clamps, that there not many realistically.

Long story short. I do not know the other part numbers.

Never seen/used a new spring clamp. So the idea is you slide it into place and then pop off the little "holder"?

Also, I'm curious what the best type of pliers for these guys would be. I've used big needle nose and big crecent plier, and probably some others sitting around the garage, but it's hard to get any plier over all three nubs and not result in twisting as you tighten the plier.

Yup, position clamp and pull off the little holder. Save the little holder if you like as you can reuse it.

It is always fun to read the same challenge with the Engineering by Toyota. Who would of thought a simple clamp could be so well designed that it is to simple to understand. I too had same "Tool" issue for working the three tabs, Why three not four? Any way after many similar attempts of "pliers", remembering that the 80 was built to be repaired simply. Found that a simple pair of pliers, old school, worked the best lots of times. I even found that a large version of the simple pliers works best. I think this size is in the tool bag from manufacture. Certainly have use long needle nose and 90* degree needle nose Problem is you need a tool that squeezes evenly and parallel. IE Reason for three tabs not four.

Thanks for adding good input on the spring clamps. Position the clamp in the spot your want. Use a pliers to hold clamp in position. Pull the red tab out, away,as the spring clamps. DO NOT USE FINGERS TO HOLD CLAMP.
You should be able to gently squeeze all three tabs for final adjustment.

I just wanted to share my experience from doing the PHH on my rig this past weekend. I bought two of the Toyota clamp 90467-21010 and they did not work for me. I just could not get them over the flare on the pipe (either the pipe off the block or the hard pipe coming down off the side of the heater control valve). I was using Gates Green Stripe hose, which is a little thicker than silicone, and maybe thicker than OEM hose, but I just could not get it to work. I ended up using a couple of other clamps I had laying around from work on the FHH's.
My suggestion is that if you are using Gates Green Stripe you get a different clamp than the Toyota 90467-21010. I know Joey said they have worked for customers of his, but they didn't work for me (not throwing shade, just reporting my experience). And it's a difficult spot to be stretching a clamp to its max extension, in any case.
Good luck, YMMV.

Never seen/used a new spring clamp. So the idea is you slide it into place and then pop off the little "holder"?

Also, I'm curious what the best type of pliers for these guys would be. I've used big needle nose and big crecent plier, and probably some others sitting around the garage, but it's hard to get any plier over all three nubs and not result in twisting as you tighten the plier.
Bent needle nose pliers

I just wanted to share my experience from doing the PHH on my rig this past weekend. I bought two of the Toyota clamp 90467-21010 and they did not work for me. I just could not get them over the flare on the pipe (either the pipe off the block or the hard pipe coming down off the side of the heater control valve). I was using Gates Green Stripe hose, which is a little thicker than silicone, and maybe thicker than OEM hose, but I just could not get it to work. I ended up using a couple of other clamps I had laying around from work on the FHH's.
My suggestion is that if you are using Gates Green Stripe you get a different clamp than the Toyota 90467-21010. I know Joey said they have worked for customers of his, but they didn't work for me (not throwing shade, just reporting my experience). And it's a difficult spot to be stretching a clamp to its max extension, in any case.
Good luck, YMMV.
I friggin knew it. The answers that I got back from everyone including Wits End was that they work properly with the green stripe hose. Heck, I thought it was a simple enough question when I posted it. I didn't buy any of the spring clamps because Wit's answers were condesending and just didnt make sense. So thanks very much from all of us I'm sure for your confirmation.

For about 90% of the clamps I encounter (except for radiator hose clamps) these two tools work very well.

Clamp Pliers.jpg

Bent nose, needle nose....held inverted will clamp onto any of the small vacuum type hoses provided you can reach them and maneuver the pliers.

Clamp Pliers1.jpg

A pair of long nose locking pliers is perfect for medium sized clamps (typically found on coolant hoses, trans hoses, etc). Once locked on...you have both hands available to position the clamp on the hose. So as long as you have room to get to the clamp...these will make things easy.

Clamp Pliers2.jpg
Clamp Pliers3.jpg

I'm waiting for this tool to arrive. Looks like it works well on youtube for what that's worth. I wrecked many of these clamps using channel locks.
Amazon product ASIN B07H8243NG
If you like that tool from Amazon you'll love the Handee clamp tool, just check out the web link, plus they are made in the USA. Make sure you take a few minutes to watch their videos at the bottom of their web page showing you their tools being used.

1594308271590.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom