OEM alarm- How good is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there have been a number of vehicle theft and security threads in the past and maybe I missed this question being asked or answered.

How effective is the OEM alarm at preventing theft? Has someone on here with a working OEM alarm that was set had their vehicle stolen? Is it truly easy to bypass?

I know there have been a number of vehicle theft and security threads in the past and maybe I missed this question being asked or answered.

How effective is the OEM alarm at preventing theft? Has someone on here with a working OEM alarm that was set had their vehicle stolen? Is it truly easy to bypass?
Most people have ripped them out by the roots at this point because they cause so many weird electrical issues.

Also, it's hard to find a FOB that works with them anymore.

How effective is the OEM alarm at preventing theft?

It works exactly the same as any other aftermarket alarm (which it is). Besides making noise, all it can do is interrupt the ignition signal using a relay. The relay is always near the steering column and anyone with experience with alarms will know how to rip out the relay and twist together the two wires.

There is no 'smart' ECU looking for a signal from an electronically coded key, like a modern vehicle would have.

Your best bet, beyond any basic alarm for deterrence, is a hidden kill switch that cuts power to the ECU or fuel pump. Also, GPS trackers can be wired to interrupt the fuel pump on command.

It works exactly the same as any other aftermarket alarm (which it is). Besides making noise, all it can do is interrupt the ignition signal using a relay. The relay is always near the steering column and anyone with experience with alarms will know how to rip out the relay and twist together the two wires.

There is no 'smart' ECU looking for a signal from an electronically coded key, like a modern vehicle would have.

Your best bet, beyond any basic alarm for deterrence, is a hidden kill switch that cuts power to the ECU or fuel pump. Also, GPS trackers can be wired to interrupt the fuel pump on command.
Good explanation, noise making is nice for the opportunist thief. But I like the idea of the GPS tracker and kill switch.

What ecu wire have you guys Killswitched?

Best part: it honks S.O.S 🚢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom