Odor in interior AHA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
I saw a post recently about treating odor in the interior. That this odor is something common we must live with and treat. I disagree!

Keeping cabin clean and free from odor producing elements like food, drink & smoke is is first line of defenses from offensive odors.

But what is that musty smell after a rain storm or car wash. It could be a leak into interior form poor windshield install, sun roof or A/C drains clogged.

But if all the above are in perfect condition, why do some still report odor?

I found what I believe is number one reason while working on windshield molding. What I found was leaves in and under the lower windshield molding. Also interesting is the cabin HVAC filter within the glove box opens into underside this molding. Once the lower molding is removed, an opening with thin permanent filter is expose leading into glove box.

By removing this molding periodically to clean out trap debris we can eliminate this one odor ;)

Permanent cabin filter is expose.
026.JPG
017 (2).JPG
019.JPG
018.JPG
025.JPG

Last edited:
I've been under that cowling, and the "thin permanent filter" you are showing in that photo is actually the replaceable cabin air filter.

Nah, they're within spitting distance of each other, but the replaceable filter is nestled down in the HVAC housing where the Recirc door is located.

As obsessive with details as 2001LC is, do you really think he'd confuse the two? I don't think so!

Not sure my truck will ever smell enough to warrant removal of the cowl, but it does make me wonder if those carbon filter elements are worth considering.

Nah, they're within spitting distance of each other, but the replaceable filter is nestled down in the HVAC housing where the Recirc door is located.

I still don't think that is correct, but now you have me wondering. I had the windshield replaced in my '11 in January, and took photos when the cowl cover was off.

IMG_20180109_125657.jpg

I remember when I pulled the cover was off, being shocked that I could reach down through that hole and touch the cabin air filter. I can see the edges of the infamous recirc door in that photo as well, I even was able to look at the busted actuator. It gave me hope that I might be able to reach it that way to get it fixed, instead of from behind the glove box.

If there is another "filter" above the replaceable one, then why was my cabin filter covered with pine needles the first time I replaced it?

Edited: I had no reason to remove that filter so I didn't try. It's could be the cabin filter we buy and replace on regular basis. I'll take another look if I get time.

Pulling the lower windshield molding is very easy on the 200 series. Once you learn the way around it takes about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
The filter is certainly the easy part to remove and clean or replace. Just turn IG (key) to on, set HVAC to recirculate, remove the filter hatch from within glove box, pull the filter. But that not the potential source of odor I had and "AHA" moment about when I saw leaves under molding.

I think for those with odor issue, to pull lower windshield molding is so easy it's worth a try. It may be worth also looking behind the bottom rear of front wheel well skirt. We found that to be a collection/trap point for leaves in the 100 series. I've not yet look to see if Mr. T corrected that trap in the 200 series. Anyone know?

In the beginning of this video the guy pulls the lower molding. I'm not wild about how he used a metal tool on fender side molding fasteners.
LEXUS LX 570 2017 WITH WARNING SISTEM WINDSHIELD REPLACEMENT

Ok, from what I gather remove the lower windshield moulding to access this filter.

So is the consensus that this filter is not the cabin filter?

If not the cabin filter, how is it removed and then replaced because it seems inaccessible from top.

Last edited:
No, that may or may not be the cabin filter we see there. But regardless; It's the leaves or debris in, around and under the lower molding that may be a source of the odor some are reporting they can't find. The odor would be most noticeable after getting wet if leaves (rain, snow melt, car wash). We shouldn't have any odor in a clean cabin. This is for those that have odor they can't get rid of, as one more place to investigate.

When I had lower molding off it was to work on side molding replacement. The filter in the picture, I just noticed but didn't really investigate.
I really need to go back and look to see if that's our cabin filter or a permanent filter.

In the 100 series, I was not seeing leaves gather there. They would flow/wash down into pockets at bottom of fender well. We clean out those pockets by removing/opening bottom fender well skirt.

I also need to take a look in bottom of fender the 200 series well to see if debris is collecting there, or has someone in mud done this?

Last edited:
Well, with the molding removed can’t you just remove the cabin filter to see if it is or isn’t?
Sure. But really, the filter is not the issue of concern here, it's the area under molding. If it's a permanent pre-filter, vacuum it. If the replaceable filter, replace it.

I have never had issue with them on my 100, but I’ve had other Toyota’s where the smell originated from clogged sunroof drains.

Had a Camry years ago that was practically ruined after a big rainstorm due to a faulty sunroof drain. Had to pull all of the rear interior to dry it out.

Good point clogged drains could be source of cabin water entry leading to odor..

The filter picture is not a pre-filter.
I took a look through glove box. The filter picture above with lower molding removed is indeed the cabin filter we can easily change. I could feel foam rubber as I reach up to feel backside of lower windshield molding from within glove box filter enclosure. I stuck my phone in there and capture a picture of this foam rubber. The white plastic is leading edge of recirculating door. Not sure if foam rubber is on lower molding or part of this air box enclosure.
002.JPG

I also notice leaves get into top of lower molding from 1/2" gap between lower molding and hood.
026.JPG
005.JPG

I can’t decide if that intake location is good or not.....it seems so potentially exposed.

I can’t decide if that intake location is good or not.....it seems so potentially exposed.
Similar location to the 100 series, with what I feel is and improved lower molding. If nothing else molding is easier to remove without damaging fasteners. I also like windshield washer nozzle in the lower molding rather than the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom