Octane booster anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
not sure if this is strictly tech but…….i was wondering if anyone out there was saving money by buying the lower octane rated fuels and then adding in a booster to achieve the desired octane rating for a 1FZ-FE engine? 87 octane (RON 91) is spec in the FSM.

i did some searching and found different discussions on who used what octane but they were from back @2008. They did not discuss using an octane booster.

let me know

devo

Octane booster doesn’t raise by much at all. Certainly not 5-6 points. It’s not truly the same as running 91 or 93. Try to find ethanol free 90 or 91. That’s the best thing you can do for these engines.

no running higher octane does nothing for these engines... It actually cost you power.

Octane is the measure of a fuel's resistance to ignite, the higher that number the more resistant that fuel is towards autoignition due to high compression. High octane fuel is used for high-compression turbocharged / race engines, not our tractor engines with 9:1 compression... You will lose horsepower and money by running high octane, so don't do it. Put the cheapest dyno juice in and be happy knowing that the 85 or 87 octane gives you the best performance you can get.

Even with my ignition timing bumped up a bit I just stick with the cheapest 87 octane I can find. The cruiser doesn't complain as long as it's 12-14mpg thirst is quenched.

no running higher octane does nothing for these engines... It actually cost you power.

Octane is the measure of a fuel's resistance to ignite, the higher that number the more resistant that fuel is towards autoignition due to high compression. High octane fuel is used for high-compression turbocharged / race engines, not our tractor engines with 9:1 compression... You will lose horsepower and money by running high octane, so don't do it. Put the cheapest dyno juice in and be happy knowing that the 85 or 87 octane gives you the best performance you can get.
Finally! Someone says it correctly! :wrench:

Quite simply, high octane is great, ONLY if an engine needs it.

A 1FZ-FE is like that person you invite over for dinner who eats anything (and everything) and thinks Ripple is a fine wine.:cheers:

I’ve always run 87. Never even thought about running anything higher. 334k miles later…

I wasn‘t planning on turning 87 octane to racing fuel when I wrote the post. I was wondering if anyone was using a booster to get the 85 up to 87 or 88!
’round here mid grade is 86 to 88 octane and that is what I commonly combust, rarely 91 or more.
Seems like a hassle to buy low octane and add a booster when you can simply buy the fuel at a proper octane !

you'd probably gain one or two HP by running 85. 85 is usually only offered at higher elevations because, without getting lost in the weeds of chemistry & physics, 85 at higher elevation is roughly equal to 87 at sea level. So if that's whats offered in your area you should probably be using it.

There will be no perceivable difference to the driver, one way or the other.

I’m running a SC w/ a 2.8” pulley and 7psi on 87. Two heat ranges colder on the plugs and an IC plus cold air intake(dorkel) surely helps though. You’ll be fine.

I run 87 octane in my truck, Ripple for un-inspiring dates, and bring out the high octane Mogen David 2020 for special guests.

Higher octane by itself will not produce more power or economy.
It's only a benefit in engines running higher compression or more timing advance.
If you're experiencing pinging ( pre-detonation) octane boost might help, or in these engines is probably because the static timing has been advanced too much.

More than likely a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom