OBD II diagnostic software (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
My "check engine" light came on, and I used Harbor Freight's OBD II code reader to find a code of 420. Looking that up in the Repair Manual, I found out that it involves the O2 sensors. The voltage and frequency modulation is incorrect at sustained speeds between 31-40 mph for 5-10 mins. That's exactly when the light comes on. At this point, I don't know which sensor is bad, front or rear. So, I went to the forum at JT Outfitters and inquired. I was directed to the following website <ghg.net/dharrison> were a diagnostic software package is sold that is OBD II and Windows compatible. I haven't bought it yet, but it is supposed to be a great troubleshooting tool. You can actually see your sensors working in real time. My Cruiser has 118,00 miles on it and I'm opting to just replace both sensors at this time. I will probably buy this software in the future for troubleshooting.

I occasionally get a 420. My OBDII scanner says it is "catalyst operating below min efficiency levels" or some verbage like that. Doesn't refer to O2 sensors.

I got the 420 once in Mexico with Mexican gas and just last week when towing a friend's boat at low speed (in CA). Each time I cleared the code and it doesn't come back under normal driving situations.

I suggest just clearing the code before "fixing" something.

Ed

Thanks for the feedback......... Ed.

9999usmc,
I bought the Harrison R&D OBD-II scan tool about 2 years ago. There are several comprehensive posts in the archives here on ih8mud and maybe a couple on the SOR forum (link on each forum page.)

I think you can see the difference between an OBD-II code reader and an OBD-II scan tool.

-B-

Does anyone know if the Harrison OBD II will work with a 95? I contacted him directly and he said no, but I thought toyota did not change from 95 up.

Thanks
John

Toyota adopted the OBD II system in 1996, as did most auto manufacters. The Harrison OBD II software will only work with vehicles equipped with the OBD II system and a computer with Windows 95 or higher.

US spec '95 80 series vehicles have an OBDII buss in the fuse box. ;)

21Oct2003 (UTC -7)

I have a $250 ($200 + $50 upgrade) OBD scanner from www.obd2.com . It's been useful and interesting to see all the data when the engine is running, but the graphical user interface is awful (as are most of them out there).

So next year, I plan to write software that does the same thing. I'm thinking about using a Linux box as it's cheaper to develop it there, but may port to Windows if I have time.

My question now is, what features would you like in it? Or how would you like to see engine data so it'll be more useful for you? BTW, one of the features I'd like is the ability to turn on/off stuff (i.e. fuel pump, etc.) like what Toyota OBD-II scanners do.

OTC Mindreader here. Easy to use and was very cheap on ebay. :flipoff2:

Cdan - 95's have the OBDII in the glove box, but I thought they were not fully OBDII compliant till 96? :-\ Guess it don't matter since I have a 97 and haven't had a check engine light since I CHANGED MY VSV. :flipoff2:

Drexx, I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to the OBD II system and what it can and can't do with the appropriate reader/scanner, analyzer, etc. I have a cheap code reader and Repair Manual, but I honestly don't know how to use a troubleshooting analyzer or pc program. So, in response to your question when you asked what we would like to have/see a sofeware program do...... "I don't know". If it was very user friendly, and I knew how to use the data made available in a constructive way, and know what the impact a "change" to a system would have on overall engine performance. Then, I'd be interested.

Wayne Stewart aka 9999usmc

22Oct2003 (UTC -7)

Thanks for your reply 9999usmc. You hit it right on the spot: "user friendly" is a stupid term. Meaning, it maybe friendly for me like a Linux shell is, but maybe not for you. I think I'll experiment on my dad, who's now retired as a doc but is now a farmer ;)

I personally think that diagnostic software designed by a cruiserhead would be ideal. I especially would like the ability to turn stuff on and off for diagnostics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom