O2 Sensor Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Many thanks to Dan, Beo, Safado and Jomama. Did the O2 sensor replacement yesterday. Took me less than an hour and I DON'T wrench at all. Truck runs much smoother now as well. A little Liquid Wrench about 20 minutes before starting and the four bolts came off very easily. Had more trouble with the damn connectors than access to the bolts.

Superior services Dan! Thanks! :cheers:

See, I told you. If you can hit a 2 iron, you can do damn near anything :cheers:

D-

Good news Brent. Did you get a little quality time with your father-in-law?

Should we package up some birfield repack instructions with your name on them?

:D

-B-

Just back from a quick 24 hr golf vacation to Palm Springs. First Pete Dye course I've ever played. One word for his diabolical designs - TOUGH!

Dan - I don't even try to hit a two iron - God and Jack are the only two competent enough as the saying goes. John Daly has played with both a one and two iron in the past. :D

Beo - Not a chance in hell on the birf's. Father-in-law is down from Northern Cal frequently. He's quite a dynamic individual and going VERY strong at almost 81. He provided the moral support and handed me the tools, etc. We also wired the troop's trailer with dome lights and a three outlet cig lighter adapter (hardwired it to the same elec. line as the lights) to plug in exterior mag mount utility lights. All this runs off the battery we have on the trailer, so he put a fuse on the entire wiring we did. Nothing I'd have thought about. He also proceeded to test the total electrical draw with everything on and let me know we were pulling about 13 amps, so well within the 15 amp fuse we installed. More info than I needed, but nice to know.

Maybe brakes when he's down at Xmas. Brother-in-law has jack stands and needs to teach his son on their Suburban as well, so we'll kill two birds and do both the LC and the burban's brakes.

May be another order coming your way Dan!

Hope you guys enjoyed your Thanksgiving. :cheers:

Brent,

Get some scouts around to help for the brake job. That's part of the auto mechanic merit badge. :D

-B-

Hmmm, may have to get my son involved.

Hey Brent..i did my brakes this past weekend. it is EZ!

But, my o2 sensor went. How hard was it to replace? i thought you had to weld them in? I was going to bring the rig to a shop to get done..but if you say it is that easy..i might reconsider.

thanks
Joe M

Was easy. Only difficult part is getting your 12mm small handled socket wrench to the bolts.

Starting with a COLD engine, I sprayed all 4 bolts with Liquid Wrench about 20 minutes before starting and had no trouble getting them off. Being in SoCal I don't have a rust issue.

Both sensors are mounted above the exhaust pipes at a slight outward angle. Best angle of attack I found for both sensors was lefthanded coming up over the pipes from the outside of the truck. In other words, I was laying down (had truck on ramps) head toward the front and stuck left hand up and over from the outside. Inside is too tight. If you have LARGE hands forget about it.

Connectors will disconnect by pushing a small ribbed tab on the vehicle side of the connector. As Dan had told me, it's real obvious which sensor goes on which side by looking at the old ones. Wiring harness is different.

I am a NOVICE and had it done in less than one hour.

See your friendly Yota Parts guy here via PM and he'll take very good care of you!

He, Beo and Safado convinced me I could do it and I saved a bundle of $$$. Figure I paid for my fog lights easily with what I saved. Installed them over the holiday as well!

GO FOR IT! :flipoff2:

Joe pay no attention to Brent he has a 94 NOT THE SAME as your 96. IIRC and B can straighten me out, it's 2 10mm jamb nuts on each sensor. You'll want to get 2 new gaskets and 4 new nuts as they aren't reuseable. Still an easy job though.

A'ight Rick..i trust ya!
I will pick up the parts tommorow..
-1st O2 Sensor
-2nd O2 sensor
-4 10mm Jamb nutz
-2 new gaskets

Anything else i need?

Also, i managed to get off my differential plugs this past weekend! :D Rear diff fluid (first time replaced at 120K) looked like new! which is a good sign. Front fluid was a little dark though :-\. Might be some grease leaking into it from a bad seal? ??? No metal in the rear..found one tiny little cap looking metal thing attached to the front magnet..that was all for the front. I am not going to worry about it though.

Anyways, since i got that bs done with..we should schedule some time for :beer:

later..

No problem S.A. Thx Rick - didn't know what year he had - not on sig line and didn't look elsewhere for his year. Obviously, I can only comment on the '94 I have.

I also replaced the four nuts and two gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom