Nut & Bolt Frame-Off 1978 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
Since I was a kid, I had always been in love with the original Toyota Landcruiser body style (aka FJ40); I always said I would get one when I was older. Several years ago, my dream came true; I found one out in Los Angeles, and flew out there with my very supportive wife to pick it up. We drove it across the United States; we stayed a day at the Grand Canyon, and visited several other national parks between the West Coast and Jackson, MS. I spent the next few years driving it (and loving every minute of it).

Eventually, it was time to start making a family (babies), and it was just too impractical to keep as my daily driver. As luck would have it, a surgeon in Oxford, MS saw it, and offered an ungodly amount of cash for it. I couldn't refuse. I sold it. I think you guys can remember the thread, right? Haha.

A few months ago, @AndyO78FJ40 approached me and said that he was considering selling his 40. I didn't think much of it, and had kinda forgotten about it. Lo and behold, he contacted me a few weeks ago and told me that his 40 was going to have to go, and asked if Id be seriously interested in it. After some consideration, and talking to my wife (did I mention how loving and supportive she is?) I decided to go for it.

This particular truck has been on 5 continents: North America, Central America, South America (Ecuador and Chile), Eastern Europe (1984 Serajevo Winter Olympics), Scandinavia, Asia Minor (Istanbul), and Northern Africa (Alexandria & Cairo). It's been driven on a number of islands, including Japan and has spent a good deal of time on the Greek isles. It was even put on a ferry at the Port of New Orleans, and shipped to Jamaica.

The truck has 176k on the clock. I am the 4th owner.

The truck was originally Dune Beige. From looking over the truck, there appears to have been a high quality repaint sometime in the past. After that second coat got old and weathered, Andy began spraying it with rustoleum camo tan. So for the most part, the exterior is rattle canned, and the interior appears to be original.

There is some rust, though much much less than expected. The rear quarters will need to be replaced, especially as the PO cut the fenders. The rear sill has some small cancer spots, as does the DS door sill. The front fenders will both need to be replaced (dented beyond repair) and the hood will also need to be replaced (banged up pretty bad!!!). The floor boards are in incredible shape, except for some cancer in the upper part of the DS floor board. Ive never seen a spot form that high before. Go figure.

There is overspray on everything. I have been spending the past few days cleaning it off of everything.

The truck seems to be mechanically sound so far. I did have to replace the fuel pressure regulator immediately, as it must have failed on Andy as he drove to my house to sell it.

I have been in the process of replacing all of the exterior body bolts with stainless steel. I am replacing many bolts with yellow zinc Grade 8.

I have also cleaned a lot of grease and rust off of the undercarriage and given it a quick coat of black engine enamel. I also painted the rear bumper, and fender flares.

Ive got a long list of parts I need to find, not to mention sorting out the electronics in the interior. It needs the parking brake rebuilt, and a knuckle rebuild.

My goals for the truck:
1. Get it mechanically perfect
2. Repair and replace broken electronics in interior
3. Replace rear quarter panels
4. Replace fenders
5. Replace hood

After that, I'll drive it. Thats what I bought it for.

Eventually, once we move and I get a bigger shop, Id like to do a frame off restoration. But that's for longer down the road.

IMG_5352_zpsdvapa2kn.jpg

Dash Pad and Vinyl Reconditioning

Before:
IMG_5358_zps9pplywz4.jpg

After:
IMG_5386_zpszbnpuip6.jpg

This particular truck has been on 5 continents: North America, Central America, South America (Ecuador and Chile), Eastern Europe (1984 Serajevo Winter Olympics), Scandinavia, Asia Minor (Istanbul), and Northern Africa (Alexandria & Cairo). It's been driven on a number of islands, including Japan and has spent a good deal of time on the Greek isles. It was even put on a ferry at the Port of New Orleans, and shipped to Jamaica.

Seriously, great grab! Glad it stayed in the family. I was going to take a hard look at it as well. I know you will do a great job on it!

Painted the rear bumper:
IMG_5390_zpslflwnvoi.jpg

Cleaned overspray and rust from exhaust:
IMG_5391_zpsvsjvpleo.jpg

Cleaned up and reconditioned the wipers:
IMG_5389_zpskzdwu50k.jpg

Switches before reconditioning:
IMG_5360_zpskvztprep.jpg

Switches after reconditioning:
IMG_5387_zpsbxpflouq.jpg

Decided to paint the roll cage black, and was worried about what I'd find underneath the mounts. I was expecting cancer, but boy did I get a nice surprise when I looked underneath...

IMG_5393_zpscobseiwj.jpg

IMG_5392_zpslmjjd5vr.jpg

Not bad, huh?!

And then used a combination aircraft-remover/wire wheel to remove the rest of the paint.
IMG_5382_zpsmz33rgnz.jpg

What did you use to recondition the vinyl and dash pad?

Great job so far!

Peanut Butter. No s***.

I didn't believe it when I texted @ntsaint , but after trying it, I'm a believer! It does a great great job.

I was with Andy when he bought this. I've no doubt he would have done great things but...... He went the 100 route :clap:

Very excited it A stayed in CLC B. Will be taken care of and C. Will be documented here by our resident "small engine expert".

Win-win-win

Seriously, great grab! Glad it stayed in the family. I was going to take a hard look at it as well. I know you will do a great job on it!

Not bull****. PPO was navy and took it every where. Cool story and truck. Greg and I remember him riding in a rain suit topless around J-town in it. Crazy dude.

Replacing various bolts with stainless
IMG_5403_zpsgepxm1ag.jpg

IMG_5404_zpsdafnampn.jpg

IMG_5405_zpssec5wysg.jpg

More stainless, and installed rubber hood bumpers:
IMG_5410_zpsma3ujmcv.jpg

Pulled the front steering stabilizer/strut and gave it a fresh coat of yellow paint:
IMG_5412_zpspwowx0le.jpg

Installed (notice how well that undercarriage looks with a fresh coat of black epoxy:
IMG_5413_zpshe6lyydj.jpg

I may pull the other 4 struts off tomorrow and give them a matching paint job.

Nice! Love the 40 builds going on here

Get yourself some new shocks.....they are like $30 each Monroe.......

If you want to make a difference, pull the spring packs apart, clean them up and paint them and reinstall with new bushings and paint. Get some 33x10.50 radials.....no, you don't need a lift to run them.......and rock out. No need for a lift but the skinny radials make all the difference.

Hubcaps and steelies if in the budget.....

That's the plan @wngrog

33/10.5 BFGs with pewter steelies with OME lift.

Andrew does your truck have power steering?

Reason I ask is that mine does not, I am running the same OME lift with 33x10.5 bfg km2 tires, and I don't feel like I need power steering around town.

I have most all the parts and may go ahead and do it but it's not necessary for a round town truck IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom