Nut & Bolt Frame-Off 1978 FJ40 Restoration (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good job on your work, looks good! Welcome to the never ending world of Landcruisers!! I never had PS, and for tooling around town you will be fine. But crawling, like I did for years without PS, it's definitely something you might consider. Just my opinion. Good luck, keep up the good work.

Thanks. This'll be my second 40.

I'll see how it drives without PS on the skinnies first. I was thinking of installing it to make it easy for my wife to drive though.

2.5" inch OME is a nice riding lift from everything I've seen.

What's 49tire offer for 40 lifts these days?

Did yall go with the medium, or heavy kit?

Tan flares:
IMG_5414_zpscvfzs6pk.jpg

Black flares:
IMG_5416_zpsgyruswkn.jpg

(I hate fender flares, but figured black would look better until I get some new quarters installed.)

Black looks way better...

I got the 2.5" Medium. I bought the whole kit, including steering stabilizer, bushings, shackles, etc.

I see you have the parking brake (wood) deployed. The parking brake kit is cheap and easy to install. The t-case output seal leaking might be the culprit fyi.

I see you have the parking brake (wood) deployed. The parking brake kit is cheap and easy to install. The t-case output seal leaking might be the culprit fyi.

I installed the kit. Very easy, but...ebrake still doesn't work great. Gonna have to pull back out and look again.

It was dry in there but i went ahead and changed the seal anyway.

@MScruiser since you are way more mechanical than me, when you do this, post up some pics and tips!

I installed the kit. Very easy, but...ebrake still doesn't work great. Gonna have to pull back out and look again.

It was dry in there but i went ahead and changed the seal anyway.

@MScruiser since you are way more mechanical than me, when you do this, post up some pics and tips!
Did you adjust the 8mm adjusting screw after you installed the shoes?

Robbin Roberts told me that same story about the truck going all over the world. He DD it for years from his house at the corner of Ridgewood and Old Canton over to UMMC. I bought the back seats from this truck which he had stored in the attic and put them into my 1st 40. Robbin also told me that he had submerged the truck 2 different times. @SHUSH is right, he didn't give a s*** about the rain, he just put on a coat and drove it.

image.jpeg

Ordered a gas door today from a parting out truck.

Also ordered new OE emblems, bumperettes, antenna, and taillight gaskets.

I have no CLUE what is going on with the steel in the above pic...rosette welds???

p.s. Check out the cool brass grab handle from the PO. I think I'll keep it.

Last edited:
I can't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom