Nut & Bolt Frame-Off 1978 FJ40 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, the PO struck again. I dig the ambulance doors out of the attic, only to discover he had cut circles, and drilled several holes in the sheet metal for aftermarket speakers. And what a wonderful job he did too.

First, I determined how big my patch would be.
IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

Next I fine tuned the fitment, and held the patch in place
IMG_0741.JPG

A few tac welds to hold it in place.
IMG_0742.JPG

Next, I place more tac welds between each previous pair of tac welds. Once it cools, I place a tac weld in between the last set of tac welds. I continue this process until the weld along the seam is continuous.

IMG_0743.JPG

Continuous weld
IMG_0744.JPG

Then it's time to grind down everything nice and flush.
IMG_0745.JPG

Then I put a coat of cheap primer down to keep things clean until I sandblast the entire door.
IMG_0747.JPG

More awesomeness from the PO. I HAD thought the rear of the hardtop panel was in good shape. Alas, upon further inspection, I found the typical rust areas.

IMG_0769.JPG

Here's the back side. Yup, bondo coming out the other side of the metal is always a great sign.
IMG_0770.JPG

Started fabbing up a new piece. I'll fold this little bend over to match the original, and give it a lot more strength.
IMG_0771.JPG

Going in. Still more welding and grinding to do, but the cancer is gone now.
IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

Nope, smoke did not clear up. Expected head gasket....

There's a lot more to that answer. I'll have a major update on that in the next month.

Lou, nope, not blasting myself. All those panels are huge. Would cost at least a hundred dollars in media, and would make a gigantic mess, not to mention burn up a few days. I'm outsourcing them to MS Mobile Blasting

There's a lot more to that answer. I'll have a major update on that in the next month.

Bummer. I know you will figure it out though.

You've come along way... Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Lou, nope, not blasting myself. All those panels are huge. Would cost at least a hundred dollars in media, and would make a gigantic mess, not to mention burn up a few days. I'm outsourcing them to MS Mobile Blasting

just. damn. but, on the bright side, you'll KNOW what is in it now......

Redoing the hard top.

img_1477-jpg.1574782

Neato
img_1478-jpg.1574783

At least 10 broken off bolts had to be removed. Fun!
img_1479-jpg.1574784

Broken bolts. Common scene on this build.
img_1480-jpg.1574785

Surprisingly very little rust on this top. According to Cruiserdan, the sticker indicates it has been replaced previously. This explains why it's in such great shape.

Sandblasted the drip edge after scraping the old seam sealer out. Then coated everything in 2 thick coats of SPI 2-part epoxy primer. Yes, I am letting it cure in our guest room (the wife is not happy with this).

img_1493-jpg.1574787

This is what I have chosen to use to seal the drip edge: SEM High Build Self Leveling Seam Sealer. My research tells me this is a very nice product. My paint shop had some samples for me to check out, and I was very impressed. A little pricey ($35 a tube).

image-jpg.1574788

And BTW, the hardtop sides, doors, and ambulance door have all been painted. Awaiting wetsanding now.
IMG_1494.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom