NOW WITH A 0-70 Launch! Well i did a thing.. my 97 lx build. distributorless/turbo/h151f (1 Viewer)

how many waygu beef powers and torques did project waygu beef make?

• 100awhp!

• 200awhp!!

• 300awhp!!!

• 400awhp!!!!

• 500awhp!!!!!

• 600awhp!!!!!!?

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I wasn't so attached to my York air compressor, my engine bay may see a WAC of some sort. The pics above are a good inspiration.

Not much going on here just some small things. finally got most of my order of bearings, interesting note, the standard sized main bearings are made in the usa and the +.25mm main bearings are made in japan along with the thrust washers and +.25 rod bearings, I am on the hunt for some standard sized rod bearings but clevite is sold out currently, no eta when they might be available. Got my new blue fan clutch taken apart and silicone drained out, i will be filling with 7k cst and adjusting the opening temp per landtank's thread.
20210912_132518.jpg

20210911_111615.jpg

20210911_111610.jpg

Love your build/write up so far. I live in Lake Stevens, not too far from you. I have a 96 LX450 and am essentially doing a duplicate build of my old LX450. I have a SC instead of a turbo. I like both :cool:

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Jon

Love your build/write up so far. I live in Lake Stevens, not too far from you. I have a 96 LX450 and am essentially doing a duplicate build of my old LX450. I have a SC instead of a turbo. I like both :cool:

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Jon
Right on! thanks for the compliments, there are quite a few LC's of all generations here and plenty of activity on the washington state LC fb group. Are you on there too? I have not had a chance to go out with any of them yet.

As far as build progress.... well not much as of recently, plenty of orders are in but the vendors are mostly out of stock of everything.... my clutch is with the vendor however the Cometic MLS headgasket has been on back order since the beginning of august... and has a ship date of the end of November!! :bang: i had a large order of toyota parts through an 3rd party parts retailer which i had to cancel after waiting over a month as they quit responding to my emails and refused to give any updates, i finally reordered it from an actual toyota dealer but even they are having trouble with getting parts. I'm waiting on my input shaft bearing so i can get the trans back together, and a bunch of parts for the cylinder head. I ordered a griffin aluminum radiator but just got news that that order won't ship till approximately nov 3... got an order in for a set of standard size rod bearings and that is supposed to ship in early/ mid october. On top of all that fedex has been consistently late on every single order since like june so we are just going a whole lot of nowhere fast unfortunately. A few things i did receive were a bottle of 7k cst silicone oil for my blue fan clutch, my derale oil coolers for engine oil and power steering as well as an oil thermostat for the power steering, and hopefully this week my kartak off road 1qt power steering reservoir with oil filter should arrive. i also re-arranged my garage a bit and installed a 240v outlet so i can run my tig on 240 (110v) is pretty useless.
20210922_132941.jpg

20210919_162841.jpg

20210920_130218.jpg

20210918_150048.jpg

I am also on there. We've got 4 LC's in our household. 72 & 79 FJ40, 96 LX450, 04 100 series.

My 80 will have an OME BP-51 lift, Slee front arms, ARB winch bar, and at some point a 4x4 Labs rear bumper. A lot of this will be put on in November when it goes in to Torfab for a brake / axle service and install the lift kit. Picking up the new Toyo MT 315s this weekend.

I've got a 220 in our garage. Good for the air compressor and my Miller welder. It's nice having the proper tools.

Back to work.

Jon

Off topic, but how big your garage? Big flat driveway? You seem to be very capable. Excited to see this running!

Off topic, but how big your garage? Big flat driveway? You seem to be very capable. Excited to see this running!
Thanks! I'd like to think I'm pretty darn capable, as well as knowing my limits haha. Garage is just an oversized 2 car and I have plenty of driveway space. I thought at this point in my life I'd already have a lift or 2 but I just haven't made it a priority, I always had a shop to use and never needed one at home, working on the floor definitely sucks lol.

Got my new blue fan clutch adjusted and refilled with oil today per landtank's blue fan clutch mod thread. This one was opening at 125F so I adjusted it down to around 95-97 degrees then refilled with 7k cst silicone diff fluid. Also started playing around with placement of items in the right side of the engine bay (powersteering tank, crank case breather tank, fuel filter and pressure regulator) lots more brackets to make now... also getting ready to install the clutch pedal.
20210928_121801.jpg

20210928_121817.jpg

20210928_125320.jpg

Are you planning to do the H151 when you install the new engine?
Yes, I want it all to go in at once, but I'm just trying to install or mock up the supporting accessories for the engine and trans while I wait for the rest of my parts to show up. My cometic headgasket won't even ship till possibly the end of nov :( and my clutch is coming from the same vendor who is shipping everything at once..

Well today I kind of said screw it and just started to go in deep with this project and start doing things that will unfortunately take the truck offline till it's done. I hate working on projects like this when all the parts aren't here yet but there's a lot to do so I gotta get going. So today I got the fuel tank drained and started modifications to the fuel pump hanger. Measured the length at which the stock fuel sock sat so I can position the new walbro 485 LPH pump correctly. Cleaned the hanger Cut the metal feed line to length and put a bubble flare on it so I can mate it with the corrugated ptfe feed line. Got the other end of the ptfe line attached to the pump and clamped with an oetiker clamp, these work extremely well and this will never ever come off unless you cut it off. I am waiting some constant tension clamps and the ATI fuel systems electrical wiring bulk head fitting so I can pass the power and ground wires to the pump. I'm also replacing the level sending unit with a new one from Mr T. Next I will be addressing the power and ground side of the pump and building a harness for the required relay and power wires for this pump. The stock wiring will not be able to handle the type of current this pump draws. Oh also ditched the crappy wix filter and got a YZZD1 filter on the power steering tank :)

20210930_101218.jpg

20210930_115543.jpg

20210930_105731.jpg

20210930_102939.jpg

20210929_104505.jpg

That last picture was badly needed as I wasn't able to visualize how the filter connected to the reservoir! That's a serious res, holy schmoly :oops:

Still waiting on a boat load of parts 😫 this is here though... kartek offroad billet power steering reservoir holds 1 qt, has a filter, gonna toss the crappy wix one for a Toyota one. And has cooling fins View attachment 2795002
What is the total height? I’m in the middle of designing exactly this but I had no idea this exists so I might just go this route instead. It’s not cheapy chinese is it? 😳

What is the total height? I’m in the middle of designing exactly this but I had no idea this exists so I might just go this route instead. It’s not cheapy chinese is it? 😳
Definitely not chinesium... in my opinion it fits quite well in the stock area. I can get a measurement tomorrow, it holds a quart not including the filter. Kartek is a retailer and also builds some serious off road stuff for trophy truck, KOH type builds, and all sorts of buggy and general 4x4 vehicles. They are based in so-cal Power Steering Reservoirs - Kartek Off-Road - https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories/power-steering-reservoirs.html

The bummer of it is it would be 100% better if both lines were on the same plane.
I agree, it would make packaging even better. IIRC you may be able to plug the inlet port and machine another port closer to the port on the other side.. I'll have to look at the layout of the channels with the filter off tomorrow.

@NLXTACY after looking at the port configuration, it seems there is a fairly large boss milled out on the inside and outside of the filter portion which allows the -10 orb fitting to seal well, I don't think you would be able to just drill and tap another hole closer to the other port and have it seal well or have enough structural integrity. The wall thickness is maybe 3mm thick? You could remove the anodized coating and weld on a bung however... the piece including the D1 short filter is just over 11" long and thebdiameter with the fins is roughly 4" and 3.5" on the lower part where you would clamp it
20211001_090042.jpg

20211001_090619.jpg

*picture order restored with further descriptions*
Well partsouq for the win again times 100000 haha. So it turns out the input shaft bearing while showing up in the usa parts systems is actually "discontinued" here in the usa. Partsouq had several available to them so I ordered one along with 20 lifters I have been trying to get a hold of for ever now.. then I got an email and refund from partsouq saying they could only send 18 to me 🤦‍♂️ i was able to source "the last four available in the usa" from my local dealer at 23$ a pop vs 8 at partsouq, ouch. I already had 2 sitting in bags from a previous partsouq order. Less than a week later I had a nice little box waiting for me at my doorstep. So I now have all 24 lifters. Ugh such a mess and logistical headache lol. So since I finally got the input shaft bearing I had been waiting for ever for I took the liberty of tearing down the new h151f and swapping in the correct length input shaft so it would work with the 1fz bell housing. Here are some pics, nothing crazy toyota transmissions are cake to tear down.

prepping gear set for tear down
20211002_162942.jpg

Shift shafts removed
20211002_172356.jpg

Pulling reverse gear/reverse synchro hub
20211003_093418.jpg

Mainshaft and counter shafts removed from bearing housing
20211003_095953.jpg

Reverse gear, synchro hub, and synchro. Interesting that it has 2 synchros for reverse but no carbon linings
20211003_093856.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom