Not another tire question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I am hoping you all can help me. I have 33x10.5R15 BFG KO2s on my FJ62 now. I am doing the 80 front axle swap and going to TRD SEMA wheels 17x7.
Part 1- There are two tires I am looking at- General Grabber AT and Open Range (Toyos). I think I prefer the Grabbers, but a recent experience with Les Schwab and the fact that I will be driving in the west make me want to consider the Open Range. Anyone have any preferences? Traction, road noise, and comfort are my criteria.
Part 2- I am thinking that the KO2s size are fine, but don't really want to go any wider. The two tire stores (Discount Tire and Les Schwab recommended vastly different tire sizes- 285/65R17 and 265/70/R17. I am not hung up on having 33's and think that a little narrower tire might improve fuel economy. Recommendations/Thoughts?
Rich

Did you mean Open Country Toyo? I can't give testimony to either brand. I think the tires you have are fine. If you go to a 80 axle and 17" wheels you will have the advantage of upgrading to Tundra brakes although the adapter kits are pricey. I don't think anyone really thinks about fuel economy with a 60 series regardless of skinny tires. You'd be better off pulling your 62 behind you on a trailer with 2wheel drive diesel truck if you want fuel economy.

Those actually aren't vastly different tire sizes. Just doing the converstion, the first is 11.2x31.6 and the other is 10.4x31.6, so one is slightly narrower. I've never run either, but I find that Les Schwab is pricey and pushes tires that only they carry. I have been pleased with Discount tire. They carry a huge variety of tires at good prices and I have found their service comparable to Schwab.

As for your tire criteria, I assume when you say traction, you mean on-road in the rain and snow traction and not traction in the mud? If so, I'd look for ones that don't have wide voids, have lots of siping, and have the snowflake symbol.

YMMV.

Did you mean Open Country Toyo? I can't give testimony to either brand. I think the tires you have are fine. If you go to a 80 axle and 17" wheels you will have the advantage of upgrading to Tundra brakes although the adapter kits are pricey. I don't think anyone really thinks about fuel economy with a 60 series regardless of skinny tires. You'd be better off pulling your 62 behind you on a trailer with 2wheel drive diesel truck if you want fuel economy.
[/QUOTE
My understanding is the Open Range is the same tire, but rebranded as Mazama (Les Schwab's label). We had a recent experience with Les Schwab that makes me want to use them. My son was stranded in Eastern Oregon and they went above and beyond to get him back on the road. So if we are talking same product for $100 more, I would tend to hop Les Schwab. I have an LS, so I do get much better power/fuel economy, but i've heard complaints about width and fuel economy. I guess if I can't afford the gas, I probably shouldn't go.

Those actually aren't vastly different tire sizes. Just doing the converstion, the first is 11.2x31.6 and the other is 10.4x31.6, so one is slightly narrower. I've never run either, but I find that Les Schwab is pricey and pushes tires that only they carry. I have been pleased with Discount tire. They carry a huge variety of tires at good prices and I have found their service comparable to Schwab.

As for your tire criteria, I assume when you say traction, you mean on-road in the rain and snow traction and not traction in the mud? If so, I'd look for ones that don't have wide voids, have lots of siping, and have the snowflake symbol.

YMMV.
Thanks. Frankly, I have bought a majority of my tires over the years at Discount tires and my preference is usually Michelin. But as I mentioned above, I do want to support Les Schwab. My plan is dirt roads and snow, but lots of highway miles between Seattle/Reno/SF (where the kids are). Retiring soon, plan on camping, exploring, and seeing my kids.

Just a follow up... I bought General Grabber ATX yesterday at Discount tires. With their sale this weekend and the General Rebate ($100), I saved almost $200! I went with the 265 70 17's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom